Stalling Question

Thor

Had this call up at the Jay County sectional today. Had a wrestler up 6 late in the match. Just got hit for stalling, which he was. Then winning wrestler shot in and hung on to a leg. Losing wrestler hit a whizzer, hipped down, neither wrestler could advance. Ref called stalling on winning wrestler that was in on a leg. Is this the correct call? Ref is adamant the call is correct, seems absurd to our entire staff. 

Edited by Thor

50 minutes ago, Thor said:

Had this call up at the Jay County sectional today. Had a wrestler up 6 late in the match. Just got hit for stalling, which he was. Then winning wrestler shot in and hung on to a leg. Losing wrestler hit a whizzer, hipped down, neither wrestler could advance. Ref called stalling on winning wrestler that was in on a leg. Is this the correct call? Ref is adamant the call is correct, seems absurd to our entire staff. 

Sounds like it is an easy stalemate call.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

For those wondering this matched ended with three stall calls within 15 seconds… Three! All while he was in on a shot! Stalemate? 

That’s rough… should be an easy stalemate…Had a kid get hit for second stall call today in third period with 10 seconds left of a semi final match us up 1-0 bottom flat on belly head down and us out to the side. Gives kid restart and kid gets away so we lose 2-1. Ref told our kid after the match he only hit us because we looked at the clock on top as if that’s a rule…

Diving in on a leg with no intent to score is indeed stalling and should be called as such. However, if the kid has a shin whizzer and there is no chance of improvement, should probably be a quick Stalemate and go again.

If the kid dove under again after a stalemate and didn’t try to finish, then maybe hit a stall.

5 minutes ago, Coach Brobst said:

Diving in on a leg with no intent to score is indeed stalling and should be called as such. However, if the kid has a shin whizzer and there is no chance of improvement, should probably be a quick Stalemate and go again.

If the kid dove under again after a stalemate and didn’t try to finish, then maybe hit a stall.

Oh come on, that happens all the time and is never called. National titles are decided by that and stalling is never called. I have never seen stalling called in that situation. 

Nate Johnson of Center Grove got jobbed in his finals match against Jacob Johnson of Franklin Comm.  Nate scored first in the match.  Match comes down to the final OT period and Nate chooses down.  Nate stands up and Jacob body locks him from behind with no attempt to return Nate.  Jacob hold on to Nate for about 10-15 sec then Jacob pushes him out of bounds with no stall call.  On the restart Nate stands up again and Jacob locks again with no attempt to return.  Still no stall call.  Nate tries to forward roll with 5 seconds left and gets put to his back in a last ditch effort.  Horrible officiating.

35 minutes ago, Thor said:

Oh come on, that happens all the time and is never called. National titles are decided by that and stalling is never called. I have never seen stalling called in that situation. 

I’m not saying that I agree with the rule but it is textbook stalling to hang on a leg and do nothing to improve.

theres a lot of college matches that do this, yes, and it never gets called but it is within the right of an official to hit stalling when a wrestler is actively avoiding scoring.

Personal opinion is that you earn the right to stall by building a big lead.

I do have an issue with officials calling stalling in quick succession like that as well. I was just pointing out that if there’s no attempt to improve it could be called stalling. 

Again, from what you’ve described, if he’s defending and blocking improvement, that is NOT stalling, and I believe even forcing a scramble or crackdown situation and milking time is not stalling, but shooting under locking hands and hanging out with no attempt to improve is stalling, technically speaking.

On 1/29/2022 at 6:03 PM, Bag of Hammers said:

Nate Johnson of Center Grove got jobbed in his finals match against Jacob Johnson of Franklin Comm.  Nate scored first in the match.  Match comes down to the final OT period and Nate chooses down.  Nate stands up and Jacob body locks him from behind with no attempt to return Nate.  Jacob hold on to Nate for about 10-15 sec then Jacob pushes him out of bounds with no stall call.  On the restart Nate stands up again and Jacob locks again with no attempt to return.  Still no stall call.  Nate tries to forward roll with 5 seconds left and gets put to his back in a last ditch effort.  Horrible officiating.

Very hard to get a stall call in the 3rd overtime, the objective is just to ride the bottom man out. That in itself is just stalling, you aren't working for points you're just riding. Once Nate got to his feet there were "attempts" to bring him down (which is al the rule says you need). Don't go after the officials for your kid not getting away on bottom. 

On 1/29/2022 at 5:27 PM, Thor said:

The wrestler taking the shot is putting himself in danger by taking the shot, even if he is hanging to the leg and not doing anything from the neutral position. In this case he is the aggressor and a stalemate would be warranted. 

First, stalling is a judgement call. If an official deems an act to be stalling then it is stalling. A wrestler needs to adjust if they are not wanting to get hit with stalling again.

Next, the situation described is very common & almost never called as stalling (I've never seen it anyway). As lemercad stated, the wrestler put himself at risk & is normally given the benefit of that. If neither wrestler is improving than a stalemate normally is called. But that tactic is often only meant to drain the clock - thus...

Lastly, this official seems to be straying very far from the norm with that type of call. He better be ready to take some heat for it.

I was watching on the live stream but it didn’t appear that Jacob was attempting to return him.  Appeared the plan was to lock and simply hold on for 30 seconds.  My opinion.  Also my opinion that it was poorly officiated. I don’t blame Jacob for his tactic.  See if the official will make the call.  The official wouldn’t make the call.

16 minutes ago, SIACfan said:

First, stalling is a judgement call. If an official deems an act to be stalling then it is stalling. A wrestler needs to adjust if they are not wanting to get hit with stalling again.

Next, the situation described is very common & almost never called as stalling (I've never seen it anyway). As lemercad stated, the wrestler put himself at risk & is normally given the benefit of that. If neither wrestler is improving than a stalemate normally is called. But that tactic is often only meant to drain the clock - thus...

Lastly, this official seems to be straying very far from the norm with that type of call. He better be ready to take some heat for it.

I could be reading incorrectly but all of the wording in the rule book says that locking on the leg should be called stalemate unless it is a repeated action. So while you’re right it is a judgment call, the rule book specifically outlines multiple instances that should be considered a stalemate and should be considered stalling. This is under section 23 in the rule book.

5 minutes ago, Jstephenson1356 said:

I could be reading incorrectly but all of the wording in the rule book says that locking on the leg should be called stalemate unless it is a repeated action. So while you’re right it is a judgment call, the rule book specifically outlines multiple instances that should be considered a stalemate and should be considered stalling. This is under section 23 in the rule book.

Here's a picture for reference on the original post. I would understand if the opponent getting shot on did nothing and the offensive wrestle put his hips to the mat. But in this situation, the wrestler defending a shot from neutral is in good position and not allowing any advancement in position.....so a stalemate should always be called in this situation. 

This position stayed the same with no advancement for 14 seconds and then stalling was called on the wrestler who took the shot

1B7B800B-F983-4EB9-A23B-FF5E07A15A20.jpeg

Edited by X_R A T E D

The problem with stalling is the process it takes to get DQ'd

1st Stalling - Warning

2nd Stalling - 1 Point

3rd Stalling - 1 Point

4th Stalling - 2 Points and choice

5th - DQ

How about we take it out of the officials hands and make them wrestle 

1st Stalling - 1 point

2nd Stalling - 2 points

3rd stalling - DQ

13 minutes ago, WoodJC82 said:

The problem with stalling is the process it takes to get DQ'd

1st Stalling - Warning

2nd Stalling - 1 Point

3rd Stalling - 1 Point

4th Stalling - 2 Points and choice

5th - DQ

How about we take it out of the officials hands and make them wrestle 

1st Stalling - 1 point

2nd Stalling - 2 points

3rd stalling - DQ

I like where you are going with this with a modification: 

1st Stalling - warning 

2nd Stalling - 1 point 

3rd Stalling - 2 points 

4th - DQ 

You’re not ever going to take stalling out of the officials hands. Too subjective. But for that very reason I like retaining one warning. With ref to ref variability you get warned once and know where things stand with that official and hope they stay consistent. Agree though it shouldn’t take 5 for a DQ. 4 seems reasonable but of course that’s just one man’s opinion. 

5 minutes ago, Lawdiggity said:

I like where you are going with this with a modification: 

1st Stalling - warning 

2nd Stalling - 1 point 

3rd Stalling - 2 points 

4th - DQ 

You’re not ever going to take stalling out of the officials hands. Too subjective. But for that very reason I like retaining one warning. With ref to ref variability you get warned once and know where things stand with that official and hope they stay consistent. Agree though it shouldn’t take 5 for a DQ. 4 seems reasonable but of course that’s just one man’s opinion. 

I am good with that as well....agree you will never take it out of the hands of officials but making stalling opportunities less will help...I have watched a ranked wrestler this year three or four times....never has taken at shot in any of those matches and in one of those matches the guy that had taken multiple shots was given stalling twice for hanging on to the leg.

On 1/29/2022 at 12:45 PM, Thor said:

Not stalling, if eaither wrestler cant advance it would be stale mate. 

The stalling call w 10 seconds left in a match, when nothing has happened for the last 1 min is always classic.

Usually in this situation the ref feels the need to be important and let everybody know he’s there and he decides who’s winning!

Whats the worst stalling call you’ve ever seen? Jimmy Fisher, Columbus East, 2013 or 14 semi-state. After putting in 5 min and 50 seconds of absolute work. The ref decided he liked Avon better and sent Fisher home. Borderline criminal call. 

6 hours ago, TripleB said:

The stalling call w 10 seconds left in a match, when nothing has happened for the last 1 min is always classic.

Usually in this situation the ref feels the need to be important and let everybody know he’s there and he decides who’s winning!

Whats the worst stalling call you’ve ever seen? Jimmy Fisher, Columbus East, 2013 or 14 semi-state. After putting in 5 min and 50 seconds of absolute work. The ref decided he liked Avon better and sent Fisher home. Borderline criminal call. 

The stalling while in on a shot may end up being the worst I’ve ever seen, I’m gonna go with Blake Mulkey getting a stalling in the state semi finals in the second OT while in a front headlock. I remember Snyder got kicked for losing it, and he had every right to light up that ref. 

Edited by Thor

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.