Over 700 registered for MS State!

JustAnotherFan

Don’t let the Matrix number fool you.   With the 445 moved over from qualifier registrations there is currently over 700 registered Middle School State.  Come get some great wrestling in.  Finals will be done early enough to grab dinner afterwards.   14 full mats makes the day go fast ! 

https://www.trackwrestling.com/opentournaments/MainFrame.jsp?newSession=false&TIM=1643288769018&pageName=%2Fopentournaments%2FViewerInformation.jsp&twSessionId=wjktigooly

10 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Yes,  started offering an early weigh in option like many national level tournaments do. (Super 32, Grand River Rumble, etc.) a few years ago.   Sunday morning is regular weigh in time and obviously costs nothing extra.

The cost of convenience I guess, but I'm always warry of some parents starting to see events like this become too much of a money grab with the multiple costs and as far as the former qualifier went the huge amount of advancing participants.  The events gotta make money, just don't want the hoops and the expenses to get to a point its starting to get less affluent parents to wonder if its worth their kid participating.  

Edited by MattM

10 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Yes,  started offering an early weigh in option like many national level tournaments do. (Super 32, Grand River Rumble, etc.) a few years ago.   Sunday morning is regular weigh in time and obviously costs nothing extra.

4 hours ago, MattM said:

The cost of convenience I guess, but I'm always warry of some parents starting to see events like this become too much of a money grab with the multiple costs and as far as the former qualifier went the huge amount of advancing participants.  The events gotta make money, just don't want the hoops and the expenses to get to a point its starting to get parents to wonder if its worth their kid participating.

Seems like it would be a convenience for the tournament organizers to not have 800 kids weigh in the morning of the tournament…

Alternative option - have local hotels and restaurants sponsor the early weigh in…

2 hours ago, TripleB said:

Creates a potential unfair weight advantage and is a money grab. 

That being said I did it once at GRR and, as a parent, loved it. 

Definitely a huge difference at the big tournaments when ran over multiple days. This was just a way for the tournament to make a few extra bucks. I didn’t see any kids making huge weight cuts here. We wrestled the heaviest we have ever gone here. Even if at walk around weight we will pay the money and just be done with it.

The first year that they charged for early weigh ins wasn't it used as a fundraiser for Don Johnson's wife/Nate Johnson's mom?  I'm 80% sure that is the case.

I've had several people ask me if we are going to charge for early weigh-ins for our Diesel City tournament.  No, we are not.  We are also not going to charge admission for coaches who have an active USA coaching card.  We won't charge coaches or parents for a coaching pass.  We also only charge $5 for admission.  

I don't like to see charging for early weigh ins at state events.  Or the qualifiers that we should not have next year because no coaches, wrestlers or parents want them. (The majority of indiana wrestling people do not want to have MS Qualifiers)

On 1/28/2022 at 5:33 PM, Silence Dogood said:

Seems like it would be a convenience for the tournament organizers to not have 800 kids weigh in the morning of the tournament…

Alternative option - have local hotels and restaurants sponsor the early weigh in…

...because you know those wrestlers and families are going to throw down on some food directly after weigh-ins!  Great idea.