IHSAA State Finals

Coach Duncan

Not here to offend anyone, or get into politics!  It is politic overload everywhere we turn. 

First off, thankfully we had a wrestling state finals last year.  Yes, it was formatted in an extremely modified way, and took the true atmospheric fill from the best state tournament in the country.  Just seeing some statements from the IHSAA that Friday will be the same format as last year, but with the weight classes being flipped.  There is mention of the parade of champions coming back, how will that look if Friday is divided into two sessions?  My hope is that the kids who have EARNED the trip to the big house, is that they experience some normalcy!!!  A true warmup and weigh-in that is not backwards!!!! Do not have to sit on a concrete floor that is tapped off in a back hallway, can sit with their families and friends who have supported them for so many years, and actually feel the true environment of our wrestling state finals.    

THE BIG QUESTION....is how can there be a national championship football game at Lucas Oil Stadium, at full capacity, where nothing was modified?  Full capacity at Pacer games??  Will the IHSAA basketball state finals be modified like the wrestling state finals?  Again, not here to offend anyone, just want to understand the logic behind decisions being made!  

INDIANAPOLIS — Monday night was a big win for Georgia in the College Football National Championship game. An estimated 100,000 fans watched on at Lucas Oil Stadium and in surrounding bars. While Bulldogs came out victorious, the night was also a major win for the city. “This is more than we expected"

Wrestling: Robert Faulkens said that the Friday first round format used during last year’s wrestling state finals for the first time will be retained in separate sessions, but the weight classes will be flipped. The 152-285 classes will go first and be followed by the 106-145 classes. The parade of champions is expected to return. He also said reserved seating at the wrestling state finals is being strongly considered through the Gainbridge Fieldhouse Ticket Office.

Friday, Feb. 18, 2022
Session 1
 | First Round Weight Classes 152 - 285 | 11 am ET (Gates open 10 am) 
Session 2 | First Round Weight Classes 106 - 145 | 7 pm ET (Gates open 6 pm) 

Edited by Coach Duncan

This is dumb bring everyone out together as a TEAM and true parade of champions. Feel bad for these getting ripped off like this. This is like the vegans saying try this tofu bacon it tastes ALMOST like bacon.... but it isnt bacon. Just an analogy to throw out there for a better visual. They atleast better have the boys stand on the podium together and not just hand the medals out to the kids like some Sunday youth tournament. 

35 minutes ago, Cosgrove said:

This is dumb bring everyone out together as a TEAM and true parade of champions. Feel bad for these getting ripped off like this. This is like the vegans saying try this tofu bacon it tastes ALMOST like bacon.... but it isnt bacon. Just an analogy to throw out there for a better visual. They atleast better have the boys stand on the podium together and not just hand the medals out to the kids like some Sunday youth tournament. 

Yes, forgot to mention the awards ceremony. For sure needs to be reinstated! 

13 minutes ago, Coach Duncan said:

Yes, forgot to mention the awards ceremony. For sure needs to be reinstated! 

That is what disappointed my brother the most last year. He was excited to finally get to stand on the podium in front of the fans and when we found out they were doing the ceremony mat side it was frustrating. Really wish we would go back to the one Friday night session, fans in seats, and a normal awards ceremony.

Knuckling under to the woke sector among us. True minority of us ,but a lot more vocally demanding attention getters.   A travesty. To say the least. IHSAA should be ashamed of their collective group. But in reality are afraid of their careers. The minority is taking control. 
There I said it. 

Not too dissimilar from the football finals.  As I was leaving the 2A game, they had all the fans for the 4A game waiting to enter while we left.  It truly does suck, but I think the IHSAA is being consistent with the state finals from from sport to sport.  Will be curious to see how they handle basketball.

25 minutes ago, Disco said:

Knuckling under to the woke sector among us. True minority of us ,but a lot more vocally demanding attention getters.   A travesty. To say the least. IHSAA should be ashamed of their collective group. But in reality are afraid of their careers. The minority is taking control. 
There I said it. 

Oh boy, here we go. 

Late November there was a Fort Wayne officials / coaches meeting where Robert was in attendance and spoke about this topic.

Again this was in November, but my understanding at that moment he stated there would be a normal parade of champions despite the separate wrestling sessions (all weight classes for the parade). It was asked if wrestlers in the different session would again have to stay behind at the hotel during the other session and he stated no, not this year because that presented a supervision issue with the wrestlers staying behind. 

It was also mentioned they would likely do the reserved seating again, but not have a capacity limit like last year...unless Marion county at that point has a restriction. 

I’m just saying, y’all are getting triggered without even knowing what’s going on. All we know is there are two sessions, which they may be experimenting with so the first round doesn’t go til 11 pm. There’s been no mention of restrictions, just reserved seating, which we’ve been building to with the annual stampedes that happen. 

25 minutes ago, Trev Young said:

Late November there was a Fort Wayne officials / coaches meeting where Robert was in attendance and spoke about this topic.

Again this was in November, but my understanding at that moment he stated there would be a normal parade of champions despite the separate wrestling sessions (all weight classes for the parade). It was asked if wrestlers in the different session would again have to stay behind at the hotel during the other session and he stated no, not this year because that presented a supervision issue with the wrestlers staying behind. 

It was also mentioned they would likely do the reserved seating again, but not have a capacity limit like last year...unless Marion county at that point has a restriction. 

Robert also said he was pushing for the awards to be on the podium but that the powers to be really liked being able to hand out the awards after the matches. Trev let me know if I heard that wrong.

10 minutes ago, aoberlin said:

Robert also said he was pushing for the awards to be on the podium but that the powers to be really liked being able to hand out the awards after the matches. Trev let me know if I heard that wrong.

That's the way I understood as well; Robert wants to have the awards back to normal on the podium. Not on the mat, however, some of the important folks enjoyed their time in front of the crowd. 

8 minutes ago, Trev Young said:

That's the way I understood as well; Robert wants to have the awards back to normal on the podium. Not on the mat, however, some of the important folks enjoyed their time in front of the crowd. 

They should try and have it both ways. Give the medals, say their name on the mat, then have them all stand on the podium after the finals with their medals already received and just hand out brackets. 

My only question would be does it bother the wrestlers that just lost in the State finals to immediately have a mic shoved in their face. It's a pretty big moment for the wrestler and they may need some time to comprehend everything that just happened. But maybe I am just soft.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I’m just saying, y’all are getting triggered without even knowing what’s going on. All we know is there are two sessions, which they may be experimenting with so the first round doesn’t go til 11 pm. There’s been no mention of restrictions, just reserved seating, which we’ve been building to with the annual stampedes that happen. 

Triggered? Really, I don't see or read it that way at all, but no biggie. If there are concerns about going til 11pm, just start the matches earlier. No need for separate sessions. Unless, the thought is more revenue with an extra session. Hmmm....  I do like reserve seating. Or maybe I just missed the pistol pete reply/post? BANG!!! BANG!!! 😂

Edited by RAJR
sp

1 hour ago, aoberlin said:

I've said it before.  Robert Faulkens is a big supporter of Indiana wrestling.  He is proud of what we do.

2 hours ago, ReformedPoster said:

Not too dissimilar from the football finals.  As I was leaving the 2A game, they had all the fans for the 4A game waiting to enter while we left.  It truly does suck, but I think the IHSAA is being consistent with the state finals from from sport to sport.  Will be curious to see how they handle basketball.

Not to mention we had to walk through the crowd waiting to get in so what was the point in making them wait? On the other hand we did get to go through the whole game and awards without a bunch of other people walking in and standing in our way. Looking back that may be the reason they held the 4A school back.

The IHSAA football 1A to 3A was a joke to exit at LOS. Entrance to the 1A game wasn't great either. In that regard have the tickets be purchased from the school or online with a code from the schools playing. Have those as reserved seats and let those fans in earlier. Leave the other neutral fans in later and have certain seats for them. Same thing with events at Gainbridge. Parents & siblings of participants should have reserved seating (floor even). Wait until each match in the weight class is over before moving to the next. Really recognize those kids besides the parade. Start Friday morning or at least mid-day and make it last all day. Heck do 2 rounds on Friday if time permits. Then work semis & consolations to the finals on Saturday.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.