Indiana Hoosiers

1 hour ago, TeamGarcia said:

Yup, with holes in their lineup to “develop” wrestlers. Top 3 have zero time to develop wrestlers . They expect their National Recruits Wrestlers to fill the void ASAP. Most step right in and fill in nicely . 

the end GIF by Paula Morales 

I think this is difference between the Tiers of the Elite to the Bottom of the B1G Wrestling Conference. 

Edited by TeamGarcia
Picture edit

20 hours ago, TeamGarcia said:

Yup, with holes in their lineup to “develop” wrestlers. Top 3 have zero time to develop wrestlers . They expect their National Recruits Wrestlers to fill the void ASAP. Most step right in and fill in nicely . 

While mostly true, it's not 100%.  During the Iowa/Purdue dual, I believe Gibbons said that Drake Ayala is only the 2nd true freshman to start at Iowa under Tom Brands, Spencer Lee being the first.  And Ayala obviously wouldn't be in the line up if Lee were there.

Bo Nickal, vincenzo joseph and Jason Nolf redshirted their true freshman seasons at Penn St.  Nick Lee essentially took a redshirt when he arrived at Penn St his sr year of HS.  

Sasso and Karchala took a redshirt at Ohio st.

So the top 3 are taking time to develop their guys, even if it is only during a reshirt year.  Some guys are ready right out of the gate (Spencer Lee, Kyle Snyder, Gable) others aren't and either need a year in the room or they get redshirted to get the strongest possible line up going for the maximum amount of time.

On 1/13/2022 at 10:28 AM, Disco said:

And these matches will only tell the tale if all the starters show. Not likely. The Ohio st. Coach is especially good at 🦆ing wrestlers. 

OSU wrestled all their starters & Michigan dominated them (29-8) with one of their starters (165 Cameron Amine) not wrestling. I think it is safe to say that the match was pretty telling. It will now be interesting to see how they stack up with PSU next Friday.

On 1/14/2022 at 7:48 AM, ReformedPoster said:

While mostly true, it's not 100%.  During the Iowa/Purdue dual, I believe Gibbons said that Drake Ayala is only the 2nd true freshman to start at Iowa under Tom Brands, Spencer Lee being the first.  And Ayala obviously wouldn't be in the line up if Lee were there.

Bo Nickal, vincenzo joseph and Jason Nolf redshirted their true freshman seasons at Penn St.  Nick Lee essentially took a redshirt when he arrived at Penn St his sr year of HS.  

Sasso and Karchala took a redshirt at Ohio st.

So the top 3 are taking time to develop their guys, even if it is only during a reshirt year.  Some guys are ready right out of the gate (Spencer Lee, Kyle Snyder, Gable) others aren't and either need a year in the room or they get redshirted to get the strongest possible line up going for the maximum amount of time.

I believe the reference was that these guys are ready as soon as they hit the lineup.  They aren't developing for a couple of years as starters.  Maybe I misinterpreted it, but that's how I did.  That allows for redshirts.  The depth means there aren't holes in the lineup until they're ready.  That said, Penn St. has been able to remain there with a hole or two in the lineup, mainly 125 (until last week) and 157/165 this year.  Sadly, Joe Lee, thought to be able to step right in has struggled to do so.  

11 hours ago, SWINfan said:

I believe the reference was that these guys are ready as soon as they hit the lineup.  They aren't developing for a couple of years as starters.  Maybe I misinterpreted it, but that's how I did.  That allows for redshirts.  The depth means there aren't holes in the lineup until they're ready.  That said, Penn St. has been able to remain there with a hole or two in the lineup, mainly 125 (until last week) and 157/165 this year.  Sadly, Joe Lee, thought to be able to step right in has struggled to do so.  

Wooooooooo…. Bang ! Bang ! Bang ! 

Pistol Agrees wit this hur . Oklahoma State, John Smith ain’t waitin, dis Freshman comin N grappin the bull by it’s horns ! Pistol tells John Smith Get da fire ready an burn dem redshirts . 

Wooooooo….. Bang ! Bang ! Bang ! 

Pistol Pete 

200.gif

Edited by 3xStateChamp

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Disco said:

The Hoosiers are going to have alumni day this Sunday vs Chattanooga to finish the regular season home stand. Two years ago, pre shutdown, they started this and had quite the showing of past team members. 

Hopefully, Cottey and Boarman can get one of the extra matches.  Who wouldn't want to see a potential Freeman vs Boarman match?

On 2/16/2022 at 8:11 AM, ReformedPoster said:

Hopefully, Cottey and Boarman can get one of the extra matches.  Who wouldn't want to see a potential Freeman vs Boarman match?

Boarman hasn't seen the mat much this year.  He had 2 matches in Nov listed as a MF and FF.  He didn't wrestle again until Jan 29 where lost twice at the Appalachian Open.  Then he came back last weekend at the Newberry Open and lost his first match 12-11, then won by fall and MFF his last match.  So don't know if he just bowed out of the tourney or if there was an injury?

Cottey lost by Tech Fall twice at the Southern Scuffle and then did not wrestle again until the Newberry Open last weekend.  He won 3 matches, all by fall.  Much of the competition there was against smaller schools so not sure what we can glean from that.  

Alec Freeman has been wrestling at 149 since Dec. so not likely to see a matchup with Boarman.  

Big Ten pre seeds are out. 
For the Hoosiers Hudkins and Washington look good for getting an automatic NCAA bid. Bullock at Hwt. G. Rooks at 49 and maybe Wilhelm at 97 ,have an outside chance to get an invite. Or wrestle above their pre seeds and wrestle in. 

Big Ten pre seeds are out. 
For the Hoosiers Hudkins and Washington look good for getting an automatic NCAA bid. Bullock at Hwt. G. Rooks at 49 and maybe Wilhelm at 97 ,have an outside chance to get an invite. Or wrestle above their pre seeds and wrestle in. 

4 hours ago, Disco said:

The NCAA card’s for Indiana fell pretty much according to seed placement. Hudkins and Washington. 
Hope they have success in Detroit.  

Washington could  make some noise if he's healthy.  He just looked FAR from healthy last weekend.  Not sure what kind of success Hudkins could have.  Will have a little better idea tonight

I don’t se Hudkins getting past 2nd round. He would have to beat myers from Virginia Tech.  So getting into wrestle backs ,he has a good chance to win his first 2 matches. Then it gets a little blurry.  33 is a meat grinder this year. 

Now Washington got hosed, from that knee injury from Lyon. He faces Romero from Ohio state first match. Healthy, he can stay with Romero. Second match he would likely face Venz. From Nebraska. Don’t see him getting out of there with a victory. That’s what happens when you are seeded 26 or so, you have to fight thru your conference foes ,who you’ve seen several times, to get to some out of conference meat. Going from  8th at one time to limping into the NCAA is a travesty.