Greatest Matches You Have Ever Seen in Indiana?

blueandgold

Boy, do I have a LIST

• 2012: Paul Petrov vs. Brenden Campbell, 2/18 Indianapolis (IHSAA State Finals)
  • 2013: Neal Molloy vs. Eli Walker, 2/16 Indianapolis (IHSAA State Finals)
  • 2014: Cody LeCount vs. Tommy Forte, 1/11 Decatur (Bellmont Super Duals)
  • 2014: Deondre Wilson vs. Brandon James, 2/15 New Castle (IHSAA Semi-State Championships)
  • 2015: Breyden Bailey vs. Cornelious Elliott II, 2/14 New Castle (IHSAA Semi-State Championship)
  • 2015: Sawyer Miller vs. Breyden Bailey, 2/21 Indianapolis (IHSAA State Finals)
  • 2016: D.J. Brookbank vs. Zach Melloh, 2/13 New Castle (IHSAA Semi-State Championships)
  • 2016: Chad Red vs. Nick Lee, 2/20 Indianapolis (IHSAA State Finals)
  • 2017: Robert Samuels vs. Rickie Clark, 2/18 Indianapolis (IHSAA State Finals)
  • 2018: Brayden Littell vs. Riley Bettich, 12/29 Mishawaka (Al Smith Classic)
  • 2021: Brody Baumann vs. Robert Major, 2/20 Indianapolis (IHSAA State Finals)

6 minutes ago, navy80 said:

The best one of all... 

2003 Maurer vs Dolly in Overtime! One of four of Maurer's Overtime wins in his 16-0 State Finals matches. 

I was going to place that on my list, but because I didn’t see it in person, I didn’t. I saw it on YouTube though, and the way Conseco looked in that video was so cool. The entire crowd was black and the only thing lit up was the mat and the wrestlers. It looked like a final battle scene out of an anime. These days, the crowd is much more visible due to the new LED screen in the arena. The lack of brightness added to the match for me.

Edited by blueandgold

Josh Birge of Frankfort over Labo of Vincennse Lincoln in 1998 for the title at 112

Rickie Clark from Brownsburg and Robert Samuels from Lawrence North in 2017 at HWT.  I just wish the lateral that Samuels threw was caught on this feed

Edited by hogleg

4 minutes ago, Short Jay said:

I always enjoyed the matches when our wrestlers earned their way into the podium.  As a spectator that Clark vs Samuels match was a blast.  

Nothing short of excitement from the big fellas. I remember that match and how much it was talked about on here. Good times. 

9 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

Another solid post sir. 

A couple more  

2010: Jason Tsirtsis vs Devon Jackson. 4-0 OT for Tsirtsis

2011:Ayersman over Campbell 

10-8 OT

Saw that Tsirtsis/Jackson one on YouTube as well. I think that same year Gavin McGinley had a thriller against some kid from Culver Academies.

Chad Red vs Nick Lee was a match that lived up to the hype. There wasn’t much middle ground you were either a Red fan or Lee Fan. The match was amazing then those guys went on to have amazing careers at the next level. 

Campbell while on the losing end of 2 matches. Had 2 of the best that match against Ayersman then the next year against Petrov classics 

Petrov vs brooks at the semi state when they were juniors was a great match lots of high level scrambles 

Circus 1987-ish..., Jeff classic...Upper weight Jeffersonville wrestler (maybe 189, not sure, memory is sketchy)vs Lville Moore (Still Sketchy, but it was a L'ville School) wrestler, handshake and attempted hug over a grueling match turned into mayhem on the mat, sidelines and stands. I was a 10th grade grappler and not a very good one, just taking it all in...kinda.

8 hours ago, ForemanMA said:

Tony Abbott and Paul Troupe. Troupe came Greco/FS Fargo champ.  Abbott gets a takedown with 2 sec left to win by win by 1pt. 

Most Definitely! You forgot to mention they shot at the same time. I talked to Paul recently he is out in Oregan has a daughter who is pretty good.

The Brendan Campbell finals were awesome, although I was rooting for Brendan because he worked a lot with my sons. He was a phenomenal wrestler.

I also loved the hype of the Red/Lee match and then the surprise match that I didn't expect to be an instant classic was the Samuals/Clark showdown. 

I’m the token old guy now-a-days; so all the matches pre 2000 have to start being brought up.

1995 and 1996 Finals provided some of the best wrestling collectively for any style.  Multiple matches during these two finals could be considered for best match in any fans eyes.

100- Greg Schaefer vs David Combs (7-5 OT)

126- James Torres vs Jay Yates (4-3)

134- Greg Larsen vs Tim Myers (7-4)

152- James Leavell vs Vernon Cannon (3-1 OT) Rubber Match

Cannon beat Leavell in Marion County Finals…OT Match

Leavell beat Cannon in CSAC…1 point match

171- Will Hill vs Dan Pleak (3-1)

1996 Finals 

103- Leroy Vega vs Ryan Schoettle (4-3)

112- Nick Hull vs Scott Hines(5-3 OT)

119- Steven Bradley vs Vince Sessa (3-0)

125- Jason Baker vs Scott Schaefer (7-6)

135- Eric Kerkoff vs Andy Bertsch (3-1 OT)

140- Gabe Cook vs John Hardy

160- Nick Mayer vs Derrick Miller (3-1 OT)

215- Chad Buntin vs Anton Talamantes (4-2)

HWT- GoGo vs Aessa (4-3 2nd OT Criteria)

23 hours ago, 1prouddad said:

One of the loudest I've seen was when Austin Bethel(MV) beat Lee(BB) at semi state. 

It was a huge shocker as everyone was anticipating a Nick Lee vs Brayton Lee match. 

I will put that noise from this match up there with Koontz head locking Mendez in finals as well. Place went nuts!

2014- Gabe Koontz Edgewood vs Jordan Partee Madison 3/4 state

Damien Chambers Edgewood vs Blake Rypel Cathedral state finals 

Damien Chambers vs Brian Wagner New Pal (Columbus North Invitational)

Greg Wagner vs Jason Fryar Whiteland (State Finals) 2000

Dan Jankowski EMD vs Frank Debusk Team State 1999?

Weinzapfel vs Woodson forget the year. Weinzapfel ended on his back.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.