Most Impressive Moves at State

blueandgold

What are some of the most impressive moves you’ve seen at the state finals?

Some I’ve seen…

• 2013: Eli Walker fireman’s carry that almost won the 145 title vs. Neal Molloy
  • 2014: Wes Bernard arm drag to a double leg to a Half Nelson vs. Shawn Streck
  • 2015: Tommy Cash knee pick to a half vs. Joe Lee / Dylan Lydy inside trip to an arm drag vs. Ben Harvey
  • 2016: Ryan Guhl shed blast double for the upset vs. Kobe Woods
  • 2017: Robert Samuels fake low single to outside trip vs. Rickie Clark
  • 2018: Noah Warren fake tie super duck under the lights vs. Jordan Rader
  • 2019: Asa Garcia funk roll to a cradle for third state title vs. Alec Viduya (Personal favorite)
  • 2020: Matthew Koontz left-handed headlock vs. Jesse Mendez
  • 2021: Brody Baumann double overhook lateral drop vs. Robert Major

I think you about covered all the most recent. 

Chris Wildeman (81) pinning Richie Diggs with a defensive pin while Diggs had a cowboy in, we at MD now call that move "Richie Diggs"

Wideman's son Sam (03) pinning an opponent at state (not sure what round) in a move we call the "Wildeman" a move invented by his father. 

Craig Weinzapfel pinning Alex Tsirtsis where everyone in the building except the ref saw.

Dustin Nosko (03) finding an opportunity to throw in a "top body" under the lights.

Matt Caughlin's front headlock.

Blake Maurer's blast double.

(95) Greg Schaefer's lat drop of Vega, (96) Vega returned the favor the following year.

D.J Radnavitch's (Gibson Southern) everything.

Chad Ruggeri (04)(Mt. Vernon Posey) throwing everyone he came across through the tournament.

I could be a little biased towards MD but those are the ones that stick out in my mind.

3 minutes ago, Ahawkeye said:

I think you about covered all the most recent. 

Chris Wildeman (81) pinning Richie Diggs with a defensive pin while Diggs had a cowboy in, we at MD now call that move "Richie Diggs"

Wideman's son Sam (03) pinning an opponent at state (not sure what round) in a move we call the "Wildeman" a move invented by his father. 

Craig Weinzapfel pinning Alex Tsirtsis where everyone in the building except the ref saw.

Dustin Nosko (03) finding an opportunity to throw in a "top body" under the lights.

Matt Caughlin's front headlock.

Blake Maurer's blast double.

(95) Greg Schaefer's lat drop of Vega, (96) Vega returned the favor the following year.

D.J Radnavitch's (Gibson Southern) everything.

Chad Ruggeri (04)(Mt. Vernon Posey) throwing everyone he came across through the tournament.

I could be a little biased towards MD but those are the ones that stick out in my mind.

You will still hear at any match by MD fans “Richie Diggs!” I love it. Nice write @Ahawkeye

Mason Todd jumping over Jared Brooks on a low single was wild. Also Logan Wagner had a nasty headlock on Triana his freshman year. Then the center grove kid that was tough that spladled and stuck Drew Hughes. Don’t know why I can’t remember the name because he’s around my age 🤦🏻‍♂️

19 minutes ago, Jstephenson1356 said:

Mason Todd jumping over Jared Brooks on a low single was wild. Also Logan Wagner had a nasty headlock on Triana his freshman year. Then the center grove kid that was tough that spladled and stuck Drew Hughes. Don’t know why I can’t remember the name because he’s around my age 🤦🏻‍♂️

The flying squirrel stuff was SICK

1 hour ago, Jstephenson1356 said:

Ty Fleener is who you’re thinking of.

Returning state runner up  Nick Hobbs of Beech Grove Friday night his senior year down 2 with 5 secs to go.. doesn't cut him instead, hits the cleanest tight waist tilt for 3 count and walks off like nothing even happened in the midst Cool guy manner I've ever seen..Hobbs never  hesitated to leave it all on the mat, cut Mauer in a tied match to let it all ride on his awesome offense and went out on his shield regardless.. Mauer had 3 of the greatest state finals matches I've ever seen..Dolly,Hobbs, And Newport all went to the wire with him.. That standing front flip Dolly hit to try and escape in sudden death was gnarly but ol Blake rode the storm out and kept one of Indianas finest Alex Dolly from never winning a state title..

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

7 hours ago, blueandgold said:

Some I’ve seen…

• 2013: Eli Walker fireman’s carry that almost won the 145 title vs. Neal Molloy
  • 2015: Tommy Cash knee pick to a half vs. Joe Lee / Dylan Lydy inside trip to an arm drag vs. Ben Harvey
  • 2019: Asa Garcia funk roll to a cradle for third state title vs. Alec Viduya (Personal favorite)

When this happened, my literal immediate response was, “He just went Super Saiyan God.”

11 hours ago, NavyGonzo said:

Andy Uhl's first period headlock on Andre Hernandez in the Semi-Finals (2002)... I believe Uhl won 7-3, but that headlock was nasty

Yessir and so was that backflip he'd hit before wrestling was clean af.. Him vs Mendez matches were nasty too.

Bubba Dickerson dump series he used to pin his way through the 95 HW state finals was serious..

Josh Kissickn hit a nasty Back flip out of a single the year he placed 3rd..

Silas Allred Bar series pinning combinations were unstoppable..

Asas cradles, period.

Matt Jaggers Butt duck aka boot scoot..

Billy Naegle pinning the #1 ,160 in the state my senior year Friday night with a brutal sagging side headlock.

JJ Griffith (r.i.p) 360 singles..

On 12/26/2021 at 1:11 PM, blueandgold said:

Some I’ve seen…

Asa’s funk roll to cradle/ regrip cradle was maybe the coolest move I’ve seen to win under the lights. 

That’s got my vote but Bauman’s throw  to ice it was pretty close. That third period was amazing. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.