Carmel and Center Grove voted out of the MIC!

navy80

They knew they was leaving few months back when that shooting happen at Carmel vs. Ben Davis . They will join the HCC and make it into a Power Conference with Avon, Brownsburg, Westfield, Zionsville, Noblesville, Fishers , Franklin Central, HSE 2024-25 season . This been in the works for a while now . 

IndyStar

This vote will allow these two schools to seek a conference that aligns with their visions,” the letter stated.

“What are those visions? Administrators from Carmel and Center Grove had not publicly commented on the conference realignment situation and asked the MIC for confidentiality when the schools applied for membership to the HCC two weeks ago. The MIC administrators honored that confidentiality until Monday’s letter.” 

“This past fall it came our attention that for athletic reasons, as well as a desire to ‘culturally align’ (as reported in the media) with surrounding suburban schools, Carmel and Center Grove were seeking placement in a different conference,” the MIC letter stated. “We value the historical relationships with these two communities, and while this news was sad to those of us who understand the rich history, we also understand that these two schools no longer share the vision that we are more than an athletic conference, that athletics should not drive our decisions, and that our unique characteristics are what make us strong.” 

About 90 minutes after the MIC letter was sent out, Carmel and Center Grove released a joint statement.

“Center Grove High School and Carmel High School have submitted a formal petition to join the Hoosier Crossroads Conference,” the statement read. “We respect the coaches, faculty, administrators and student-athletes of the MIC conference. We have long-standing and positive  relationships with the MIC conference and appreciate the 26 years of collaboration and competition with the MIC schools. The decision to request to change conferences is rooted in the belief that this move would provide our schools with the collaboration, competition and support necessary to grow our programs over the next 20 years.”

The HCC was established in 2000 with Avon, Brownsburg, HSE, Noblesville, Westfield and Zionsville and the Lafayette-area schools of Harrison and McCutcheon. Lafayette Jeff was added in 2003 and Fishers in 2006 to make it a 10-team conference. In 2014-15, the three Lafayette schools joined the North Central Conference. Prior to the 2018-19 school year, Franklin Central was added to the HCC to make it an eight-team conference.

The MIC began in 1996-97 as a six-team conference. Ben Davis, North Central and Warren Central were independents at the time, Lawrence North in the Central Suburban Conference, Center Grove in the South Central Conference and Carmel in the Olympic Athletic Conference. Terre Haute North and Terre Haute South were accepted as members for the 1997-98 school year. 

The league continued with those eight schools until the Terre Haute schools were replaced by Lawrence Central and Pike almost a decade ago.

The MIC has been the premier high school sports conference in the state, arguably in all of the Midwest, since its inception in 1996. The eight-team league is a powerhouse. A juggernaut. You can run down the list of accomplishments, starting with four different MIC schools winning all nine Class 6A football state championships since a sixth class was added in 2013. In five of those games, the runner-up was also from the MIC. 

Edited by TeamGarcia
Copy and pasting the paper

Good summary:  Just one detail you left off Garcia, and is relevant since were talking about teams getting voted out of a conference.   The  3 Lafayette schools: Laffayette Jeff, Harrison and McCutcheon just didn't leave the HCC in 2014.  The 7 HCC Indy schools ADs had a special secret meeting and voted the 3 Lafayette schools out the conference   I believe the reason was they didn't want to drive up I-65,  the Lafayette schools weren't very competitive in Football and didn't travel well resulting in the gate being too small for football games.     As a result, the next best option for the Lafayette schools was to join the NCC, which has been really good for their football programs as the conference is much less competitive in that sport, but did increase the travel budget for those teams do the large distances between teams.

Looking back, I think the HCC had a vision of making an Indy super conference  back in 2014.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

2 hours ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Good summary:  Just one detail you left off Garcia, and is relevant since were talking about teams getting voted out of a conference.   The  3 Lafayette schools: Laffayette Jeff, Harrison and McCutcheon just didn't leave the HCC in 2014.  The 7 HCC Indy schools ADs had a special secret meeting and voted the 3 Lafayette schools out the conference   I believe the reason was they didn't want to drive up I-65,  the Lafayette schools weren't very competitive in Football and didn't travel well resulting in the gate being too small for football games.     As a result, the next best option for the Lafayette schools was to join the NCC, which has been really good for their football programs as the conference is much less competitive in that sport, but did increase the travel budget for those teams do the large distances between teams.

Looking back, I think the HCC had a vision of making an Indy super conference  back in 2014.

suggestions GIF 
when it comes to breaking news in #TheCounty . I am what you call “Notorious”. I know you wanna get your plug in for YOUR … Lafayette schools . I get that . Might wanna watch you finger typing tone when you typing “you left off Garcia” . My spidey sense picks up you type this furious anger . I get your upset . Deep breaths and count backwards from 10-9-8….. 😂

Edited by TeamGarcia
Spell checks

"aligns with their visions" and "culturally align." Ha. Very subtle. As if the marion county schools are somehow choosing to be poorer with lower test scores and trying to struggle more with crime. These aren't college conferences that align themselves based in part on academic admissions standards and practices that they choose. These are public schools. Just be honest and say you want to look elite and feel elite.

21 hours ago, TeamGarcia said:

suggestions GIF 
when it comes to breaking news in #TheCounty . I am what you call “Notorious”. I know you wanna get your plug in for YOUR … Lafayette schools . I get that . Might wanna watch you finger typing tone when you typing “you left off Garcia” . My spidey sense picks up you type this furious anger . I get your upset . Deep breaths and count backwards from 10-9-8….. 😂

Team Garcia,   I thought was enhancing your colorful essay by adding some subtle details.  Just trying to improve and not overshadow.    I thought somebody had to represent the general sentiment of resentment in the Greater Lafayette Area from getting snubbed, kind of like getting ghosted by the hot girlfriend.  Although the football coaches were quietly grateful from going from the doormat to  the Alpha dog.

2 hours ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Team Garcia,   I thought was enhancing your colorful essay by adding some subtle details.  Just trying to improve and not overshadow.    I thought somebody had to represent the general sentiment of resentment in the Greater Lafayette Area from getting snubbed, kind of like getting ghosted by the hot girlfriend.  Although the football coaches were quietly grateful from going from the doormat to  the Alpha dog.

You was suppose to laugh & laugh & laugh at my spidey senses capabilities I have . Sometimes I like to think I can sense the pounding of thumb keyboards when a poster reply back . He’s mad now 😂 . Really …really disappointed you didn’t catch my powers I have ☹️. Prolly next time I’ll have to use Spider Man . Don’t forget to watch new Spider-Man movie coming out this weekend. 
#TheCounty plug for Marvel, Will Ferrell Reaction GIFbout to get paid ! 

You my friend are the Czar of Lafayette . You can put in a plug of Lafayette sports in any of my post that has your hood history in it . 

Carmel and Center Grove align more with the schools in the HCC than they do with the MIC. There are many factors, least of which is racial, foremost is the relative income levels of the parents of the schools involved. They will create a conference that rivals MIC in terms of football, and most likely exceed them in other sports. Carmel will be the driving force in that, Center Grove being second, and nobody in the HCC will ever again win a girls swimming conference championship besides Carmel, but that is not changed from when they were in the MIC.

2 hours ago, Trinedad said:

Carmel and Center Grove align more with the schools in the HCC than they do with the MIC. There are many factors, least of which is racial, foremost is the relative income levels of the parents of the schools involved. They will create a conference that rivals MIC in terms of football, and most likely exceed them in other sports. Carmel will be the driving force in that, Center Grove being second, and nobody in the HCC will ever again win a girls swimming conference championship besides Carmel, but that is not changed from when they were in the MIC.

Actually forgot about that till you mention that @Trinedad

1,000,000 % RIGHT ! 
Poor HCC Girls Swimming Teams . 
Prolly #1 reason MIC voted them out, get them non sharing Carmel Swimming Championship teams outta our MIC Conference. HCC can have them . Bye ! 

7 hours ago, Trinedad said:

Only just “rival” the MIC in football?  I think that’s an understatement. Besides Center Grove, HCC has been owning the MIC in football as of late.  Times change and that trend could change too so not claiming anything is set in stone. But the Westfields, HSEs, and Brownsburgs of football have been roughing up Pike, LC, NC, Ben Davis, etc for years now. Westfield barely lost to CG in the title game and Westfield needed the last play of the game to beat HSE in football sectionals this year. The HCC will be a handful now if this goes through and that’s just football. Baseball?  Forget about it!  Lots of other sports too. I’m not saying this conference alignment is a good thing or a bad one. I’m just saying let’s not act like the HCC was terrible and all of a sudden a player because Carmel and CG are going there. Obviously lots of wrestling power spread out throughout the state elsewhere but this sure makes for an interesting HCC Conference Tourney too if Carmel and CG are involved. 

Edited by Lawdiggity

What incentives does Cathedral have for joining a conference? At least when I was in high school they were independent. I assuming that is still the same. 

Unlike many other states Indiana lets everyone into play off tournament. Cathedral can continue to play their independent schedule in football and compete against top notch out-of-state competition and in-state competition.  It would seemingly be a foolish move to join a conference regardless of who anchors it. 

For a team like Cathedral they shouldn't join unless forced. 

12 hours ago, SunDevils said:

What incentives does Cathedral have for joining a conference? At least when I was in high school they were independent. I assuming that is still the same. 

Unlike many other states Indiana lets everyone into play off tournament. Cathedral can continue to play their independent schedule in football and compete against top notch out-of-state competition and in-state competition.  It would seemingly be a foolish move to join a conference regardless of who anchors it. 

For a team like Cathedral they shouldn't join unless forced. 

I think Carmel and Center Grove could follow the same model that Cathedral has. 

On 12/22/2021 at 1:00 PM, Wrestling Scholar said:

With the addition of Center Grove,  IMO this will be the best\deepest wrestling conference in the state.  Not really even close.  The Duneland is good but cant compete with this level of depth in wrestling.   That will be a nasty tournament.

First it has to happen, and second, to the wrestler , are conferences at all relevant for you to succeed or be able to have success in the state tournament? Conferences are not really even needed except it makes it easier to schedule competition. Why would Center Grove or Carmel want to be herded by a conference, when they could follow the Cathedral football model?

1 hour ago, Disco said:

First it has to happen, and second, to the wrestler , are conferences at all relevant for you to succeed or be able to have success in the state tournament? Conferences are not really even needed except it makes it easier to schedule competition. Why would Center Grove or Carmel want to be herded by a conference, when they could follow the Cathedral football model?

They already put in to join HCC, copy and paste from Indy Star ^^^ up there 

Joint read statement “Center Grove High School and Carmel High School have submitted a formal petition to join the HoosierCrossroads Conference,” the statement read.

100% will happen 

Edited by TeamGarcia

46 minutes ago, Disco said:

Maybe because all the schools in HCC is the suburbs of Indianapolis, outside counties around 465 . Might be easier logistics. More $ with expansion of Johnson & Hendricks Counties, Zionsville & Westfield Noblesville is the growing communities . Wouldn’t not surprise me to see those HS that aren’t 6A schools move up with development around them in the next few years . Cathedral is a inner Indy school, private school. Cost $ to go there. Carmel & Center Grove are public schools . 

On 12/23/2021 at 4:10 PM, tyquhp13 said:

I think the Conference you compete, the teams you will see more than others has a direct reflect on the individual as well as the teams growth.

in my opinion that is like saying " Why get into the big 10, Conferences don't matter for improvement".

You are comparing conference importance of the Big 10 to Indiana high school wrestling, stop and contemplate that for a moment

2 hours ago, greco165 said:

You are comparing conference importance of the Big 10 to Indiana high school wrestling, stop and contemplate that for a moment

I didn’t want to burst his bubble, but he is in left field, with that statement. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.