Article: Indiana heading back to the Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic

Y2CJ41

Official Press Release from the Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic

Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic 2022 Date Announcement Press Release 1 v1 12-10-2021.pdf

The Steel City is known for having great sports teams and the Rose Bowl of Wrestling the Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic. For the second time Indiana has been invited to participate and take on the WPIAL. A team of 12 seniors will face off with a team from Pennsylvania on March 25th in Pittsburgh. This is a first-class event from start to finish with a banquet on Thursday night and team activities planned for during the day on Friday. As coach Trent McCormick said after the event in 2016, “Our wrestlers were treated like royalty leading up to the dual.”

As organizer of this once again I am extremely excited to take another group of Indiana hammers to this event. The organizers are some of the best people in the sport and profits from the event go to charity. The kids are treated great with a nice banquet on Thursday evening with team announcements along with a guest speaker. On Friday plans are being worked out for a team activity. The last time we were there we had a boat ride and lunch along the river and got to see the city of Pittsburgh.

Our seniors this year are loaded from top to bottom. We will have matches in 12 weights that we are working together with the PWC committee to align in the best way possible. Pennsylvania high schools currently utilize 13 weights with the major differences from 170 on up.

Last time out we lost the WPIAL beat us 27-18 winning 7 matches by two points or less! I think it’s time we roll into Pittsburgh looking to dominate and come away with a big win in hostile territory. That was on top of having to make a couple last minute replacements due to injuries the week of the event.

In the main event Indiana is 8-1 with wins from greats like Alex and Jason Tsirtsis, Stevan Micic, Blake Mauer and more! This year both Jesse Mendez and Zeke Seltzer are likely both on the short list for an invitation to wrestle for Team USA in the event.

Once tickets are on sale I will post information on the website. The last time we brought a big contingent and the PWC committee was extremely impressed with how well we traveled. I told them we want to fill up half the gym and make it a home match this time!

Stay up to date with Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic information on social media and their website. Web site is www.papowerwrestling.com/pittsburgh-wrestling-classic/

Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/PWrClassic and Twitter @PWrClassic

D75_8084.jpeg

2016 Indiana vs. WPIAL
WPIAL 27, Indiana 18

113: Aaron Burkett (WPIAL) dec. Geoffrey Davis (Indiana), 2-0 OT.

120: Ethan McCoy (WPIAL) dec. Drew Hildebrandt (Indiana), 7-4.

126: Chris Eddins (WPIAL) dec. Gaige Torres (Indiana), 6-3.

132: Mike Heinl (WPIAL) dec. Owen Doster (Indiana), 6-4.

138: Shaun Wilson (WPIAL) dec. Evan Eldred (Indiana), 8-4.

145: Damon Greenwald (WPIAL) dec. Jordan Vaughn (Indiana), 5-4.

152: Steven Lawrence (Indiana) FALL Derek Verkleeren (WPIAL).

160: Mitch Hartman (WPIAL) dec. Cael McCormick (Indiana), 2-1.

170: Drew Hughes (Indiana) FALL Anthony Welsh (WPIAL), :33.

182: Blake Rypel (Indiana) dec. Milton Kobaly (WPIAL), 10-5.

195: Jake Kleimola (Indiana) dec. Drew Phipps (WPIAL), 4-3.

220: Mike McAleavey (WPIAL) dec. Nick Fox (Indiana), 2-1.

285: Hayden Rice (WPIAL) dec. Sean Galligar (Indiana), 2-1.

Past Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic participants and their results

2016 285- Shawn Streck (USA) vs. Jacob Beistel (PA), 8-4.

2016 132- Luke Pletcher (PA) tech fall Owen Doster (USA), 23-8.

2016 160- Drew Hughes (USA) dec. Jake Wentzel (PA), 6-0.

*Hughes won the Turning Point award for winning the match that sealed the dual for Team USA

2014 126 - Stevan Micic Hanover Central, Indiana MD Zeke Moisey, Bethlehem Catholic 13-4

*Micic was selected as the Outstanding Wrestler for Team USA

2012 113- Jarred Brooks Warsaw, Indiana DEC Billy Rappo, Council Rock South 8-5

2021 145- Jason Tsirtsis Crown Point, Indiana MD Zach Beitz, Juniata 13-4

2004 140- Alex Tsirtsis Griffith, Indiana DEC Isaiah Britton, Loyalsock 6-4

2004 171- Blake Maurer Mater Dei, Indiana DEC Kurt Brenner, Freedom 8-6

1998 130- Steven Bradley, Beech Grove, Indiana, DEC. Mark Conley, Dennington, 5-3

View full article

Pittsburgh is a nice town, it seems bigger than it is because it’s stuffed in a valley at the start of the Ohio River. I was there a few years ago when The NCAA championship was there.  They really go all out for theirs sports there and wrestling is no exception. Fun town and easy to get around the town. 

33 minutes ago, Disco said:

Pittsburgh is a nice town, it seems bigger than it is because it’s stuffed in a valley at the start of the Ohio River. I was there a few years ago when The NCAA championship was there.  They really go all out for theirs sports there and wrestling is no exception. Fun town and easy to get around the town. 

It’s easy to walk around .. it’s a huge PIA to drive around.  It’s pretty downtown, lots of choices for food and events all the time.  They are crazy for all things Black an Gold.  That’s why all 3 major teams share the same colors.   I’d fully expect and Indiana win, seems a bit down here, not a lot but I think the Indiana team should be better regardless.  Depends on who decides they wanna partake in the event.  

• 1 month later...

We have ticket information for the event. Obviously some people will be waiting to see if they get the Gorilla Ticket to wrestle in the event, but I know we have some SUPER fans in Indiana that will be coming no matter what. This will be a fun event and I know our team will kick butt!

https://www.papowerwrestling.com/pittsburgh-wrestling-classic/information/

The weight classes for our portion of the event will be 120, 126, 132, 138, 145, 152, 160, 170, 182, 195, 220, 285 with a 5lbs allowance. I know both Mendez and Seltzer are on the short list for making the main event which will lead to some others behind them coming for the undercard.

Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic New Venue and Tickets For Sale Press Release 1 v2 02-02-2022.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.