Middle school state qualifier

nmsmelby

On 12/14/2021 at 12:48 PM, Mattyb said:

Ive done my time on the road. Busy coaching local middle school and traveling to watch my actual kids on weekends. With that said... I would love to see our top guys come together and kick the crap out of everyone. 

I do happen to coach a middle school team with a lot of good wrestlers. I have also been lucky enough to coach at many national events with our top guys (for many years). I want them to wrestle at middle school state and represent our state.  

I'm just giving you the what for..... I'm well aware!

And a Dart Hustler, word is the movie The Color of Money was inspired by MattyB's midwest Dart hustle!

Those saying they won't give an extra weekend to attend a qualifier, when your wrestler reaches HS make sure you ask the IHSAA if your kid can skip Sectionals, Regionals, and Semi State, because they are too good to be attending those events? 

We need this extra step, in fact it be great to have a Regional, Semi-State, then MS State. Make qualifying for Sate and earned event not given. Make a show and an event out of MS state, let them have a nice show cased event!! 

8 minutes ago, EliteAthleticClub said:

Those saying they won't give an extra weekend to attend a qualifier, when your wrestler reaches HS make sure you ask the IHSAA if your kid can skip Sectionals, Regionals, and Semi State, because they are too good to be attending those events? 

We need this extra step, in fact it be great to have a Regional, Semi-State, then MS State. Make qualifying for Sate and earned event not given. Make a show and an event out of MS state, let them have a nice show cased event!! 

Does Sectionals move 12 kids on? Look at the numbers from the last couple of Middle School state. 12 is an extremely high number to move on with 3 separate qualifiers equaling 36 kids per weight division. Nothing special about making it there. So you possibly eliminate one kid or two certain weight divisions. Imagine being the kid were they have 13 kids at 106 and only one doesn’t advance. 

26 minutes ago, EliteAthleticClub said:

You didn't seriously just equate MS wrestling to high school wrestling did you? Look the facts of the matter is, there are tourneys with significantly better competition than a MS State qualifier. That's just the facts of the matter. It has nothing to do with our kids being "too good" for it. The long term priorities are just different. 

22 hours ago, EliteAthleticClub said:

Have you watched how Illinois does their youth State Series with the IKWF? Mimic what works, what's proven, use that format to build a better foundation. 

Illinois youth numbers at tournaments are superior to Indiana as far as numbers. A local tournament in Chicago area could have 750 kids there and 10 miles down the road another tournament with the same number. That’s why for years so many Northwest Indiana kids have attended tournaments there. I’m not saying they don’t have the right intentions I just think the numbers won’t support this yet. Especially with 12 kids advancing per weight division 

• 2 weeks later...

Guys I agree that their are good and bad things with this option. For me, I agree that this is hard process to do and it adds and extra weekend of work and effort from our athletes but also tons of time for our high school coaches working through the tournament. Anyone of us that do it know we spend just as much time Coaching on the mat as planning, scouting, and watching film for our guys the following week. I have pushed for my middle school kids to wrestle in this event every year and will continue to make sure my athletes are represented but this extra weekend may not be the answer for everyone. 

I don't like the argument of the best guys not wanting to do it for two weeks and take away from the national picture. That is a fundamental issue. Is it more about you or your state? Make the call, if we need to make it about the state lets teach and preach that for clubs and academies to get the message out. I know not everyone will be on that page, but if as a state we want to be like some of the real heavy hitters we need to be state goal motivated instead of individually motivated. 

What "national scene" event will some of our top middle school wrestlers be missing if they have to attend the quaifier?  

And is this something that the IHSCWA can look at next year when scheduling the events?  

On 1/4/2022 at 2:48 PM, Chuckbuck said:

Guys I agree that their are good and bad things with this option. For me, I agree that this is hard process to do and it adds and extra weekend of work and effort from our athletes but also tons of time for our high school coaches working through the tournament. Anyone of us that do it know we spend just as much time Coaching on the mat as planning, scouting, and watching film for our guys the following week. I have pushed for my middle school kids to wrestle in this event every year and will continue to make sure my athletes are represented but this extra weekend may not be the answer for everyone. 

I don't like the argument of the best guys not wanting to do it for two weeks and take away from the national picture. That is a fundamental issue. Is it more about you or your state? Make the call, if we need to make it about the state lets teach and preach that for clubs and academies to get the message out. I know not everyone will be on that page, but if as a state we want to be like some of the real heavy hitters we need to be state goal motivated instead of individually motivated.

" Is it more about you or the state?" Seriously? Kids should literally only wrestle for themselves. If they get selected for Team Indiana and get to represent the state? Great. But of course themselves comes first. Individually motivated? What other kind of wrestler that's great is there? 

What's the policy if a weight at the north qualifier only has 5 total wrestlers and the same weight at the central qualifier and south qualifier has 30 kids.  Will there be 29 (5,12,12) in the bracket at state or will they take more kids from the the other qualifiers to make up for the low attendance at the north qualifier?

10 minutes ago, kylefellure said:

What's the policy if a weight at the north qualifier only has 5 total wrestlers and the same weight at the central qualifier and south qualifier has 30 kids.  Will there be 29 (5,12,12) in the bracket at state or will they take more kids from the the other qualifiers to make up for the low attendance at the north qualifier?

I would say up to 12 at only one location. From past numbers very few kids will not qualify. I also saw someone post it was $20 for Qualifier and $40 for State but the Notthern Qualifier was $30 now 

Coaches. If we do not want this qualifier it is simple, it is up to us to stand up and make our voices known on this. 

THERE IS NO REASON FOR A QUALIFYING TOURNAMENT FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL STATE!! My middle school team wrestles on Saturday before the qualifier, and now they have to make scratch weight 2 days in a row?!? That’s insane. All in favor of no qualifier say I. 

I

1 hour ago, Indianawrestler145 said:

Check out the numbers of these qualifiers. TOTAL FLOP!! 

and say one regional advances 12 kids. But another regional in the same weight only has 5 kids. And the third has 10! Then it’s not the full 32. 

#CANCELTHEQUALIFIERS #LETTHEMALLWRESTLE

Last year had two weight classes with over 36 kids equal to 12 qualifiers at three locations. This number is entirely too high.

Y'all crazy..... for real........

"It's inconvenient to me so I don't like it"

Then stuff a sock in it and don't go. 

This is what kills the sport, I like EAC's comment above, ask the IHSAA if you can skip Sectionals, Regionals, SS when you get to High School, don't want to risk injury on anything. 

1 hour ago, TripleB said:

Y'all crazy..... for real........

"It's inconvenient to me so I don't like it"

Then stuff a sock in it and don't go. 

This is what kills the sport, I like EAC's comment above, ask the IHSAA if you can skip Sectionals, Regionals, SS when you get to High School, don't want to risk injury on anything. 

I don't think the qualifiers are the issue.... I think it's a decent concept, i think the planning of the events were not great.  the main  issues are as follows

1. Next to no promotion of the event when they knew along along they were having them and the dates they were having them. 

2. The flyers for the event say $20 the cost is $30 for a qualifier and $40 for state, and $40 or so for a wrestling card. $110 to compete at MS state... Most likely only ELITE kids and the parents of those kids would want to pay that. 

3.  If the goal is to promote MS wrestling and get as many wrestlers as possible, run it like IHPO and the kids don't need cards. I will say, this is my first year coaching MS wrestling and the majority of my kids had never bought a usa card before this year.  Most MS wrestlers wrestle in season and very little out of season (especially the big guys).

4.  Right now Central has 17 126, south has 2 at 126... when the brackets are made for state they wont be full brackets even though there is enough kids at the qualifiers to fill state brackets. 

Its not perfect, but regardless, we are taking our kids because we are wrestlers and wrestlers wrestle. 

21 hours ago, Coach Coop said:

I don't think the qualifiers are the issue.... I think it's a decent concept, i think the planning of the events were not great.  the main  issues are as follows

1. Next to no promotion of the event when they knew along along they were having them and the dates they were having them. 

2. The flyers for the event say $20 the cost is $30 for a qualifier and $40 for state, and $40 or so for a wrestling card. $110 to compete at MS state... Most likely only ELITE kids and the parents of those kids would want to pay that. 

3.  If the goal is to promote MS wrestling and get as many wrestlers as possible, run it like IHPO and the kids don't need cards. I will say, this is my first year coaching MS wrestling and the majority of my kids had never bought a usa card before this year.  Most MS wrestlers wrestle in season and very little out of season (especially the big guys).

4.  Right now Central has 17 126, south has 2 at 126... when the brackets are made for state they wont be full brackets even though there is enough kids at the qualifiers to fill state brackets. 

Its not perfect, but regardless, we are taking our kids because we are wrestlers and wrestlers wrestle. 

I get all of that..... all good points for sure.