Biggest Breakout Moments

blueandgold

With all of the county and holiday tournaments on the horizon, this time of year usually gifts us some breakout talents that earn big wins and build momentum going into the new year and the postseason. Who are some names from throughout the years that became stars in December whether it be at Al Smith, Spartan Classic, etc.?

First one that comes to mind is Thomas Penola at the Al Smith a few years ago and it felt like he became a big name overnight.

3 hours ago, blueandgold said:

With all of the county and holiday tournaments on the horizon, this time of year usually gifts us some breakout talents that earn big wins and build momentum going into the new year and the postseason. Who are some names from throughout the years that became stars in December whether it be at Al Smith, Spartan Classic, etc.?

First one that comes to mind is Thomas Penola at the Al Smith a few years ago and it felt like he became a big name overnight.

Penola for the win with Fattore getting a stall call before OT. One moment I think about all the time....lol. Not to mention, I think Fattore was the 8 seed and Penola was unseeded.

Edited by brickfor6

The state run  Paul Petrov put on when knocked off Returning state champ Mason Todd and State runner up Campbell in the finals in a all time classic was unreal.. Did I mention both guys he beat were highly ranked nationally at that.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

I think the question was big December wins..... 

Man I've thought about this for days and can't remember names but at Mooresville around 2012 or 2013 an unraked kid from Evansville Central, not Kemper or Kelley, hit a nasty mixer on a #1 ranked kid from Yorktown and pinned him. 

That was a big December win, I'm not sure he qualified for state but upsets of that magnitude don't come along that often in wrestling. 

17 minutes ago, TripleB said:

Man I've thought about this for days and can't remember names but at Mooresville around 2012 or 2013 an unraked kid from Evansville Central, not Kemper or Kelley, hit a nasty mixer on a #1 ranked kid from Yorktown and pinned him. 

That was a big December win, I'm not sure he qualified for state but upsets of that magnitude don't come along that often in wrestling. 

Brendan Kelley over Chandler Carroll?

47 minutes ago, TripleB said:

Austin Chamberlain. I believe it was over Hiestand?

My old teammate and coach’s son, Kenny Kerrn.

He was injured during the state series as a sophomore but started off his junior year at 152 and took three early losses(albeit all to ranked wrestlers, I believe). Then made it down to 145 for the Al Smith where he teched returning state placer(and soon to be state runner-up) Kasper McIntosh in the quarterfinals while cruising through the rest of the tournament.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.