Hoosiers in College 2021-22 - Post Results here!

20 minutes ago, base said:

I was disappointed in all of the Medical Forfeits yesterday - 2 in the championship matches alone.  I understand the strategy and all, but the sport of wrestling has always been anti-gamesmanship.  

That is a real bummer that Chad Red seemed to be under the weather - I thought he had been wrestling really well lately and I was hoping for a good run in this tournament.

Mason Parris has definitely gotten bigger since last season, but that has not translated into success against top tier heavyweights. His signature move the fireman's carry (or whatever you call it) has been neutralized when going against Kerkvliet.  Mason just can't quite get to the deep shot.  Like the announcers said, he is a victim of timing - he's an incredible athlete and wrestler who just happens to be crossing paths at the same time with one of the best US heavyweight athletes/wrestlers to ever do the sport.  I hope he can manage to get on the opposite side of the bracket at NCAAs and make a run to the finals!

Purdue had a few guys show up and do okay.  I had higher hopes for Schroeder, Coleman and Neijenhuis.  Love the progress that Penola has made and the fight he shows every match.

IU didn't have a great showing. They had some tough early round matchups against high seeds and that hurt some of their guys early. Really bummed that Washington isn't at his peak due to injury (which I think was hurt more during dual against Purdue with a questionable move by Lyon).

Both in-state schools are struggling to compete against the amazing skill level across the conference - Purdue is faring better at the moment, but I don't think they are too far ahead of IU talent-wise.  I'd love to see them consistently around the 5/6/7 place finisher rather than 10 through 14th.

One last note - the Transfer Portal is a real game changer.  In addition to recruiting the best talent, the top dogs are now also able to fill in perceived weaknesses in the lineup with these free agents.  I sort of hate it - I'm happy for some of the young men to be able to move to a team that's a better fit for them.  But I hate it for the guys that have been grinding it out in Big 10 wrestling for years, only to be replaced in the lineup by a free agent.  Iowa gets Eierman.  Penn State brings in Hildebrandt and Gabe Dean.  Michigan has Suriano.  Transfer Portal and lots of in-season avoidance to rest guys for postseason.  It's a new dynamic i suppose

Good take here. With all the transfers ,the cream can leave all the marginal programs and go to Iowa, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Ohio. To maybe better their situation. Is something that now is in the recruiting mix

36 minutes ago, base said:

I was disappointed in all of the Medical Forfeits yesterday - 2 in the championship matches alone.  I understand the strategy and all, but the sport of wrestling has always been anti-gamesmanship. 

Mason Parris has definitely gotten bigger since last season, but that has not translated into success against top tier heavyweights.

One last note - the Transfer Portal is a real game changer. 

...Iowa gets Eierman.  Penn State brings in Hildebrandt and Gabe Dean.  Michigan has Suriano.

Yes the MFF's were disappointing, especially the ones in the Finals. Rivera qualifies for NCAA's then MFF's out, this seems legit. Word is he has a minor surgery scheduled for the off-season & opted to rest after assuring his NCAA qualification. I also didn't think too much of Eierman given he was wearing a knee brace Saturday & appeared to be limping against D'Emilio in his quarterfinals match. But when Cassioppi MFF out of the finals, I wondered... Did Iowa simply avoid that match given the Team Race was over for them? Do they believe they know something they can use to beat Steveson? And thus didn't want to show their hand until NCAA's?

Parris got bigger a couple years ago. I think it is more a matter of Kerkvliet maturing into his body & Cassioppi transforming his that has made the difference this year verses the last 2 years. The last two years it was Steveson & Parris then everybody else. This year Kerkvliet beat Parris twice while Cassioppi beat Kerkvliet twice. While Steveson seems to have widened the gap between himself & everybody else.

I totally agree about the Transfer Portal. While good for individuals, it could very well destroy team parity. The have's will get richer while the mid-level teams will find it harder to catch up & the have-not's will simply far further behind.

Michigan & PSU both used it to fill 2 holes that made the difference for both.

Michigan - Suriano & Brucki

PSU - Hildebrandt & Dean (Max BTW not Gabe)

21 hours ago, IU89 said:

Zero

Each team only needs 1 kid to place 7th or (eight with some bonus points).

Between Mendez, Seltzer, and Carroll I think one of those young men could do it.  I do think it’s going to more of a stretch for the other IN teams 

12 hours ago, SIACfan said:

I totally agree about the Transfer Portal. While good for individuals, it could very well destroy team parity. The have's will get richer while the mid-level teams will find it harder to catch up & the have-not's will simply far further behind.

Michigan & PSU both used it to fill 2 holes that made the difference for both.

Michigan - Suriano & Brucki

PSU - Hildebrandt & Dean (Max BTW not Gabe)

Don't forget Penn State plucked Brady Berge from coaching at South Dakota State mid-season and inserted him into the lineup, first at 165 as he made his way down to 157.  

As for the MFF's, I agree that I don't care for them.  But Iowa does seem to have some guys banged up, including Cassioppi a bit.  Yeah, he could have gone out there, but....  

And I heard Rivera had a minor knee procedure done 2 weeks ago and had planned on MFFs after he qualified.  I hadn't heard that ahead of time and was a bit miffed at the time.  If true, I guess it is understandable.

My guess is Mason will get either the 5 or 6 seed.  #6 would be preferable for the reasons you mentioned.  

Regardless, it should be fun in 2 weeks

Parris is wrestling with zero confidence against Kerk and Gable.  Granted, he could have all the confidence in the world and he isn't beating Gable.  But Kerk is a guy that he can beat.  It seems to me that Parris doesn't set up his shots vs Kerk.  He can't get to his dump so he just dives at the legs.  No set ups at all.  Kerk is probably a better athlete than Parris and he counters this very easily.  The first match he hit that snatch single Mason's left leg 3x I believe.  Parris had no answer for it.  I wonder if getting destroyed by Gable several times has hurt his confidence against the other top guys.  I do want to see him and Cass go at it.  He's dominated Cass in the past.

43 minutes ago, ReformedPoster said:

Parris is wrestling with zero confidence against Kerk and Gable.  Granted, he could have all the confidence in the world and he isn't beating Gable.  But Kerk is a guy that he can beat.  It seems to me that Parris doesn't set up his shots vs Kerk.  He can't get to his dump so he just dives at the legs.  No set ups at all.  Kerk is probably a better athlete than Parris and he counters this very easily.  The first match he hit that snatch single Mason's left leg 3x I believe.  Parris had no answer for it.  I wonder if getting destroyed by Gable several times has hurt his confidence against the other top guys.  I do want to see him and Cass go at it.  He's dominated Cass in the past.

I don't disagree with your thoughts here.

I also want to see Parris & Cassioppi wrestle, but while Parris has dominated him in the past Cassioppi is a different animal this year.

I do believe that Parris, Cassioppi & Kerkvliet are all pretty even & it would be nice to see them all on the opposite side of the bracket from Gable. But I fear that Parris & Kerkvliet are going to end up on Gable's side of the backet. I see the HWT seeds as:

1) Gable Steveson

2) Cohlton Schultz

3) Anthony Cassioppi

4) Greg Kerkvliet

5) Mason Parris

6) Wyatt Hendrickson

With some luck, Parris falls to the 6th seed & on the bracket side with Schultz & Cassioppi. Hendrickson is undefeated, but he hasn't wrestled the schedule of the B1G guys.

A lot of Indiana based guys get at-large bids:

Parker Filius 141

Chad Red 141

Jordan Slivka 157

Gerrit Nijenhuis 174

Max Lyon 184

Donnell Washington 184

Did I miss anyone?

https://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/article/2022-03-08/ncaa-announces-large-selections-2022-division-i-wrestling-championships

Wabash looking to end a decades long ‘burg run of championships by the ‘burgs in D3. Down one with only finals left. 3 finalists all versus 1 seeds. Free stream on ncaa.com. 

Champaign from da region vs Decatur Oh St transfer.

Hatch from Warsaw vs Birt from millikin who has been dodging hatch for years …cannot wait for the battle.

Heldt from Carmel vs some dude from somewhere. 

Let’s go ‘bash!!!! WAF

Edited by UncleJimmy

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Carson Brewer is slated to be the starter again at 197 for Ohio U again. 

Slivka is moving up to the starting 165 spot. 

Pretty sure that they will be starting their seasons at the App State open in a couple weeks, followed by Navy Classic, then Cliff Keen out in Vegas. 

20 hours ago, Mattyb said:

Carson Brewer is slated to be the starter again at 197 for Ohio U again. 

Slivka is moving up to the starting 165 spot. 

Pretty sure that they will be starting their seasons at the App State open in a couple weeks, followed by Navy Classic, then Cliff Keen out in Vegas. 

Carson didn't have a match yesterday?