Hoosiers in College 2021-22 - Post Results here!

Props to 141 for excitement once again!

More props to Cayden Rooks.  Although he dropped a tough 7-6 decision to Stevan Micic, he gave him all he wanted.  Add the win over Chad Red earlier and he most definitely held his own, even though he won't place.  

Chad Red's match with Parker Filius looked a lot like his earlier match with the opposite end result.  Red started fast and held a 5-1 lead going into the 3rd Period.  An escape followed by 2 takedowns, with a Red escape mixed in, made the score 6-6 at the end of regulation.  But the excitement started just before that.  

Trailing 6-4 Filius tried a headlock and couldn't quite get it, then hit a throw as time was about to expire.  The referee hit 2 swipes and then slapped the mat for the fall.  Personally, I thought the 2 swipes were enough to get him 2 pts and the win, but the fall would not count.  After review, they ruled the takedown tying it at 6 counted, but time ran out before the back points were earned.  So we go to SV.

In SV, Red gets deep into a shot and Filius grabs his ankles and the scramble. Just when it looked like Red would convert, Filius popped up and locked up a cradle, as Chad had in his previous match.  He turned Red, registered the takedown and it looked as if a fall was imminent, but Chad kicked out and it was 2 and 2, for a Purdue 10-6 win.  Lots of drama in short time.

Red will finish outside the top 8 and along with Cayden Rooks will have to hope for an At-Large bid as the B1G only has 7 allocations at 141.

5 minutes ago, GG19 said:

So i Chad Red wont place to 8 after losing in To Filius of Purde 10-6 in OT. Can he still Qualify for NCAA’s?

He can, and my guess is he will.  But I'll admit I'm not up on the exact criteria they use and how many other wrestlers he'll compete against.  Will losing to Cayden Rooks and Rooks also looking for an At-Large be an issue?  

There are 5 At Large spots at 141 available.

1 hour ago, SWINfan said:

Definitely possible.  But to clarify, Lee beat Rivera by the slightest of margins last year at the Big Ten Tournament.  Lee beat Rivera by a greater margin (9-3, I think) at the NCAA's.

I believe you are right on that. I've not looked up the results yet though.

Does anyone know what the injury situation is with Donnell Washington?  He went 0-2 in the tourney and was wearing a big leg brace.  I know he missed time, I just never heard what the injury was or the extent of it.

5 hours ago, SWINfan said:

In the Blood Round - all are fighting for top 8 Placement.  
Moran gets Drake Ayala (IA)
Drew Hildebrandt faces Patrick McKee (MN) as previously mentioned.
Brock Hudkins will face Jake Gliva (MN)
Chad Red squares off against Parker Filius (PU)
Stevan Micic and Cayden Rooks will face each other.
Graham Rooks takes on Michael Blockhus (MN)
Hayden Lohrey goes against Clayton Wilson (NE)
Donnell Washington faces Isaiah Salazar (MN)
Thomas Penola vs. Michial Foy (MN)
Andrew Davison takes on Gavin Hoffman (OSU)
Lucas Davison faces Michael Woulfe (PU)

- Moran loses to Ayala.  Drops to 9th Place Bracket (B1G Qualifies 10).  Will have to beat Reno (NE) and Drew Hildebrandt to get there.  Tall task
- Hildebrandt lost to McKee.  Gets bye and faces Moran or Reno to guarantee a spot in the NCAA's
- Hudkins dropped a 3-1 SV1 dec.  He'll have a bye and face the winner of King Sandoval (MD) and Kyle Burwick (WI) to guarantee placement
- Red lost 10-6 SV1 to Parker Filius (see recap in previous post) in a helluva match.  Red will need to hope for an At-Large bid
- Micic won by decision over Cayden Rooks 6-5 and Frankie Tal Shahar (NW) 4-3 to advance to the consolation semifinals.  He'll wrestle for no worse than 6th and has earned a spot in the NCAAs. Add: Sebastian Rivera has MFF out of the tournament so Micic will advance to the 3rd Place Match.
- Graham Rooks dropped a 3-2 decision to Michael Blockhus (MN).  He would need an At-Large big.
- Lohrey drops a 3-2 decision and is done
- Washington loses 8-6.  B1G qualifies 12 at 184 so he drops into that bracket and will have to get a win over Jack Jessen (NW) to guarantee a bid
- Penola wins 3-2 and gets a big 4-3 win over Greg Bulsak (Rut) and advances to the consolation semifinal. He'll be in the big dance in 2 weeks.
- A. Davison lost 5-2.  He'll drop down and get a bye.  He'll have to win one of his next 2 matches to finish at least 11th and qualify for the NCAAs
- L. Davison beat Woulfe 9-2 and gets a :46 Fall over Tate Orndorff (OSU) advancing to the consolation semifinals in the morning.  

Edited by SWINfan

Rivera MFF is an interesting twist, wonder how that is going to pan out for Rivera. Can Rivera still get into NCAA'S? Will this have an effect (affect?) on Lee vs Eirman match? With Lee getting the tech I don't see it as that much of a hurdle for Lee but as we know Eirman is no slouch.

10 minutes ago, Ahawkeye said:

Rivera MFF is an interesting twist, wonder how that is going to pan out for Rivera. Can Rivera still get into NCAA'S? Will this have an effect (affect?) on Lee vs Eirman match? With Lee getting the tech I don't see it as that much of a hurdle for Lee but as we know Eirman is no slouch.

He'll definitely get into the NCAA's.  How it affects his seed remains unseen.  As for the match tomorrow, I doubt it has any effect.  More than likely, the winner gets the #1 seed, similar to Lee - Pletcher in the Covid year.

It's interesting a big in the team race situation.  Both Iowa and Michigan get the equivalent of a fall for Rivera's MFFs.  And I guess Penn St. gets them back with Michael Kemerer MFF the semis.

On another note, Nick Lee kinda looked like he was on a mission today with a combined 32-1 score in his 2 matches.  Looking forward to see if he can create a little distance with Eierman.

Edited by SWINfan

I always have this feeling that college top tier wrestlers sand bag a little until NCAA'S, 1st or 2nd seed isn't a bad spot to be in. My point is Eirman might not show his hand for Big 10 but may have a whole new level of funk come NCAA finals if we see this match up again in a few weeks. We still have to see what happens tomorrow before NCAA'S. 

On the other hand I feel Pletcher saw NCAA slipping away so he put it all out there for Big 10's. That might explain his showing a #1 after beating Lee at big 10's. Of course this is all speculation on my part, they could all go 100% all the time and we are just the armchair quarterbacks. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's match though!

21 minutes ago, Ahawkeye said:

I always have this feeling that college top tier wrestlers sand bag a little until NCAA'S, 1st or 2nd seed isn't a bad spot to be in. My point is Eirman might not show his hand for Big 10 but may have a whole new level of funk come NCAA finals if we see this match up again in a few weeks. We still have to see what happens tomorrow before NCAA'S. 

On the other hand I feel Pletcher saw NCAA slipping away so he put it all out there for Big 10's. That might explain his showing a #1 after beating Lee at big 10's. Of course this is all speculation on my part, they could all go 100% all the time and we are just the armchair quarterbacks. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's match though!

Could happen, but if the team race is on the line, that may not happen. My gut is that the more Nick Lee wrestles Eierman, the more comfortable he becomes.  All we can do is watch and enjoy.

12 hours ago, Ahawkeye said:

The earlier  dual meet seemed to show what little more of a hand he has and it wasn’t too much deeper.  Not sure if Lee wins the Big10s over him but I feel Lee knows what level of funk he has to contend with in order to top Eirman.   That is if Rivira’s dodging Big10 FF doesn’t end up derailing one of them in the NCAA semi’s.   He at least presents a little less familiarity for them both at this point. 

Edited by MattM

I was disappointed in all of the Medical Forfeits yesterday - 2 in the championship matches alone.  I understand the strategy and all, but the sport of wrestling has always been anti-gamesmanship.  

That is a real bummer that Chad Red seemed to be under the weather - I thought he had been wrestling really well lately and I was hoping for a good run in this tournament.

Mason Parris has definitely gotten bigger since last season, but that has not translated into success against top tier heavyweights. His signature move the fireman's carry (or whatever you call it) has been neutralized when going against Kerkvliet.  Mason just can't quite get to the deep shot.  Like the announcers said, he is a victim of timing - he's an incredible athlete and wrestler who just happens to be crossing paths at the same time with one of the best US heavyweight athletes/wrestlers to ever do the sport.  I hope he can manage to get on the opposite side of the bracket at NCAAs and make a run to the finals!

Purdue had a few guys show up and do okay.  I had higher hopes for Schroeder, Coleman and Neijenhuis.  Love the progress that Penola has made and the fight he shows every match.

IU didn't have a great showing. They had some tough early round matchups against high seeds and that hurt some of their guys early. Really bummed that Washington isn't at his peak due to injury (which I think was hurt more during dual against Purdue with a questionable move by Lyon).

Both in-state schools are struggling to compete against the amazing skill level across the conference - Purdue is faring better at the moment, but I don't think they are too far ahead of IU talent-wise.  I'd love to see them consistently around the 5/6/7 place finisher rather than 10 through 14th.

One last note - the Transfer Portal is a real game changer.  In addition to recruiting the best talent, the top dogs are now also able to fill in perceived weaknesses in the lineup with these free agents.  I sort of hate it - I'm happy for some of the young men to be able to move to a team that's a better fit for them.  But I hate it for the guys that have been grinding it out in Big 10 wrestling for years, only to be replaced in the lineup by a free agent.  Iowa gets Eierman.  Penn State brings in Hildebrandt and Gabe Dean.  Michigan has Suriano.  Transfer Portal and lots of in-season avoidance to rest guys for postseason.  It's a new dynamic i suppose