Hoosiers in College 2021-22 - Post Results here!

50 minutes ago, bigballerb said:

I am making the drive to Ann Arbor to watch Friday, heard Nick missed the last dual due to being a close contact. Hope to see him vs. Micic Friday. Also, could it come down to Parris vs Kerk for the dual, I think it might.

Parris defeated Kerkvliet convincingly last year (11-3) and I expect the same result will occur if they meet on Friday.  I have Lee winning by 3-4 points -- the dual will be decided in the 3 pickem matches at 164, 174, and 184.

16 minutes ago, Indysportsfan said:

Parris defeated Kerkvliet convincingly last year (11-3) and I expect the same result will occur if they meet on Friday.  I have Lee winning by 3-4 points -- the dual will be decided in the 3 pickem matches at 164, 174, and 184.

Heard Kerk was wrestling injured last year and he was a pretty small heavy tbh. He beat Mason at the trials the last time they wrestled so I think it will be closer than what people think, I do think Mason gets him though. Amine and Brooks is probably my favorite matchup.

27 minutes ago, bigballerb said:

Heard Kerk was wrestling injured last year and he was a pretty small heavy tbh. He beat Mason at the trials the last time they wrestled so I think it will be closer than what people think, I do think Mason gets him though. Amine and Brooks is probably my favorite matchup.

If I recall, it was on criteria and in the very last seconds.  I get it, a win is a win, but dominating him in Folk then losing in Free on criteria does not make the match closer in my eyes.  Of course anything can happen, and as they say that is why the wrestle, but I would put the odds at 90/10 on a Parris victory.  But God knows I have lost $$ before betting on who I thought was a clear favorite.

To me Brooks adjust his style to the opponent/score better than Amine.  I like Brooks to win a close one, with a 3rd period TD in the last 45 seconds.  

18 minutes ago, Indysportsfan said:

If I recall, it was on criteria and in the very last seconds.  I get it, a win is a win, but dominating him in Folk then losing in Free on criteria does not make the match closer in my eyes.  Of course anything can happen, and as they say that is why the wrestle, but I would put the odds at 90/10 on a Parris victory.  But God knows I have lost $$ before betting on who I thought was a clear favorite.

To me Brooks adjust his style to the opponent/score better than Amine.  I like Brooks to win a close one, with a 3rd period TD in the last 45 seconds.  

100% agree, Massa vs Starocci will be a doozy too. Both guys are always attacking looking to score points.

6 hours ago, bigballerb said:

I am making the drive to Ann Arbor to watch Friday, heard Nick missed the last dual due to being a close contact. Hope to see him vs. Micic Friday. Also, could it come down to Parris vs Kerk for the dual, I think it might.

Fanco wrestling agrees with your Parris vs Kerk assessment.. Great YouTube channel.

5 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Fanco wrestling agrees with your Parris vs Kerk assessment.. Great YouTube channel.

I agree here also, let’s see where these two guys have improved. I definitely think Kerk was behind mason last year as far as mat savvy. Let’s see if the penn state magic makes a difference. Come on mason 

9 hours ago, Indysportsfan said:

If I recall, it was o cnriteria and in the very last seconds.  I get it, a win is a win, but dominating him in Folk then losing in Free on criteria does not make the match closer in my eyes.  Of course anything can happen, and as they say that is why the wrestle, but I would put the odds at 90/10 on a Parris victory.  But God knows I have lost $$ before betting on who I thought was a clear favorite.

I'd give Parris an 81-19 advantage.  All that has been said is true.  Kerk wasn't expected to be in the lineup last year and came back in short time, so its fair to say he wasn't at full strength.  And yes, Kerk won 4-4 on criteria, but Parris wrestled back for 3rd finishing higher than Kerk.  So I get the hope for Penn State fans.  But until proven otherwise, I don't see another 285 wrestler in college beating Mason. Another not named Gable Steveson that is.  

As for the dual, I think 149-165 will determine the winner.  I think Starocci handles Massa.  Brooks/Amine will be worth the price of admission, but Brooks has looked even better this year, so my money goes with him.  The question is, will Cam Amine wrestle?  How will Brady Berge's comeback continue?  Can Hildebrandt hold down Suriano and not get majored (or worse)?  How healthy is Nick Lee?  He's missed 2 duals, a full week apart.  The first, they said he was "under the weather", the second he was "in protocols", so not sure on details.  Has he been sick?  Could not being able to train for a bit be enough to keep him from his best?  

Looks like it should be a fun dual and Iowa at Ohio State follows on ESPN to boot.  Looking forward to it all!

5 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

I like Fanco, but can only handle Josiah in small doses for some reason.  Have not watched his preview for this match yet, but it's in my You Tube feed waiting.  But I think it's good there is wrestling content from others than the big sites (Flo, Rokfin, etc). Baschamania is also a good podcast if you haven't tried it.  I pick and choose episodes based on his guests.  

I agree completely, I like him but I think he'd benefit from breaking his episodes into 10 min mini episodes. 

As for this match I don't know who has the most pull in the decision the coach or the wrestler but I could see one of the coaches pulling their 141 lber for Big 10 seeding purposes. If it were up to the wrestlers I think it would be "100% let's go!" We shall see.

2 hours ago, Ahawkeye said:

I agree completely, I like him but I think he'd benefit from breaking his episodes into 10 min mini episodes. 

As for this match I don't know who has the most pull in the decision the coach or the wrestler but I could see one of the coaches pulling their 141 lber for Big 10 seeding purposes. If it were up to the wrestlers I think it would be "100% let's go!" We shall see.

No Stevan Micic today

That was a fun dual to watch, even though Penn St. dominated.  The final was 29-6.  Lots of tight matches.  The big surprise to me, and not to some others was Greg Kerkvliet beat Mason Parris 7-5.  Kerkvliet was able to get to Mason's left leg several times on a sweep single.  He was able to finish 3x and that was enough.

The biggest disappointment was Stevan Micic sat this one out so we did not get to see him matchup with Nick Lee.  Lee won by TF, 21-6 over Drew Mattin at 141.

Indiana beat Maryland tonight 26-12. IU got wins from Hoosier natives:
Jacob Moran (TF)
Cayden Rooks (Fall)
Graham Rooks
Jonathan Kervin
Kasper McIntosh
Nick Willham

Wins were by decision unless noted.  Nick South and Donnell Washington suffered decision losses.   Note, Brock Hudkins did not wrestle at 133.

Purdue knocked off Illinois 25-13.  Hoosier wins came from:
Hayden Lohrey
Thomas Penola (TF)

Cooper Noehre get a win by major decision in an Extra Match.

Other results from former Hoosier HS wrestlers
Chad Red got an 8-3 decision win over Joesph Zargo of Wisconsin as the Cornhuskers beat Wisconsin 22-12

Drew Hildebrandt dropped a 2-1 decision to Nick Suriano
Nick Lee won by TF, 21-6 over Drew Mattin
Mason Parris lost a 7-5 decision to Greg Kerkvliet
Stevan Micic did not wrestle
Penn State won the dual against Michigan 29-6.

Edited by SWINfan

On 1/21/2022 at 8:16 PM, SWINfan said:

That was a fun dual to watch, even though Penn St. dominated.  The final was 29-6.  Lots of tight matches.  The big surprise to me, and not to some others was Greg Kerkvliet beat Mason Parris 7-5.  Kerkvliet was able to get to Mason's left leg several times on a sweep single.  He was able to finish 3x and that was enough.

The biggest disappointment was Stevan Micic sat this one out so we did not get to see him matchup with Nick Lee.  Lee won by TF, 21-6 over Drew Mattin at 141.

Almost perfect match from Kerk. Everytime Mason would fake, Kerk would down block/ level change then follow up with a head inside snatch to Mason's lead leg where he would finish. Cael is so good at having his guys ready for big matches. Something I saw on twitter caught my eye and I found it interesting and that is PSU guys tire guys out by just wrestling every position of the match rather than beat on guys and move them around in the hand fight like Iowa tends to do. I feel like that can be attributed to Cael emphasizing play wrestling and sparring. Don't get me wrong that Iowa style hand fight has to wear on guys but I think Cael has a different mindset, guess we will see which style works better on Friday.

38 minutes ago, bigballerb said:

Almost perfect match from Kerk. Everytime Mason would fake, Kerk would down block/ level change then follow up with a head inside snatch to Mason's lead leg where he would finish. Cael is so good at having his guys ready for big matches. Something I saw on twitter caught my eye and I found it interesting and that is PSU guys tire guys out by just wrestling every position of the match rather than beat on guys and move them around in the hand fight like Iowa tends to do. I feel like that can be attributed to Cael emphasizing play wrestling and sparring. Don't get me wrong that Iowa style hand fight has to wear on guys but I think Cael has a different mindset, guess we will see which style works better on Friday.

It was also mentioned several times during the match that Kerk would tie up Parris' left wrist, which prevented him from getting to his dump.  Gibbons, I think, said it made Parris look uncomfortable as he wasn't able to get to his shots.  Kerk got that snatch single 3x and finished relatively easily on all 3, which was a bit surprising.

6 hours ago, ReformedPoster said:

It was also mentioned several times during the match that Kerk would tie up Parris' left wrist, which prevented him from getting to his dump.  Gibbons, I think, said it made Parris look uncomfortable as he wasn't able to get to his shots.  Kerk got that snatch single 3x and finished relatively easily on all 3, which was a bit surprising.

The times I have seen Mason look ordinary (and there have been very few!) that's happened.  Gable and now Kerk were able to keep him from initiating attacks and getting in on a leg and finishing.  Look forward to seeing how he adjusts.  

43 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

The times I have seen Mason look ordinary (and there have been very few!) that's happened.  Gable and now Kerk were able to keep him from initiating attacks and getting in on a leg and finishing.  Look forward to seeing how he adjusts.  

If that is most of what Kerkviliet’s can muster for Mason, I think Paris has the time and ability to adjust before Big10 and Nationals.  For the Paris homers you gotta hope this means Kerk showed most/all his cards early.    Kerk is very talented but not at a Steveson range, so Paris can make the adjusting needed here although I expect their following matches will end up bring much more calculated and lower scoring.  

More results from the weekend of Jan 22-23...

Nebraska 23 Northwestern 12
Chad Red got a 4-2 decision over Frankie Tal Shahar at 141
Andrew Davison lost by TF, 23-8 to Eric Schultz at 197
Lucas Davison won 8-3 over Christian Lance at 285

Misc Duals
Mason Parris bounced back with a 10-3 win over Boone McDermott of Rutgers at 285
Drew Hildebrandt won 8-0 major over Tristan Lujan of Michigan St at 125
Nick Lee added a 13-1 major over Matt Santos against MSU at 141
Giovanni Diaz got 2 wins in duals for Franklin & Marshall over Army.   He's 7-8 on the year at 125

Wisconsin 23 Purdue 12
Alec White dropped a 14-5 major dec to Austin Gomez at 149
Hayden Lohrey lost by TF, 17-1 to Dean Hamiti at 165
Thomas Penola got a nice 8-3 dec win over Braxton Amos at 197

Ohio U Duals
Jordan Slivka went 1-1, getting an 8-0 major against Davidson and losing a 5-4 decision to Andrew Cerniglia of Navy. Slivka was ranked #23 going into this weekend by Flo at 157
Carson Brewer also split 2 matches, winning 11-1 against Davidson and dropping a 7-0 decision against Navy, both matches at 197

UIndy vs. Drury Dual
Breyden Bailey won 6-4 at 133
Ray Rioux lost 1-0 at 141
Brayden Lowrey won by Fall at 149
Dawson Combest won 4-2 at 157
Nathan Conley lost 15-4 at 165
Gleason Mappes won 10-2 at 184
Derek Blubaugh won by TF 17-0 at 197

Any others??

Asa Garcia (Rutgers) & Anthony Ciccerelli (West Virginia) is wrestling in Pennsylvania today at the Mat-Town ll Open at Lock Haven University. Only 2 Indiana wrestlers I know there . Let me know if anyone else and I’ll update . 

Asa wins his 1st match 21-3 Tech Fall over Lock Haven 

Asa loses to Arizona St. 12-6 will go to Consi side of the bracket 

Asa wins 2-0 over West Virginia 

Asa loses 11-3 to Lock Haven 

………………………………..

Anthony wins his match 11-5 over Penn State  

Anthony wins his 2nd match 7-2 over Navy 

Anthony loses 13-2 to Spartan will now go to Consi bracket 

Anthony loses 13-3 to Navy 

Edited by TeamGarcia

19 minutes ago, TeamGarcia said:

Asa Garcia (Rutgers) & Anthony Ciccerelli (West Virginia) is wrestling in Pennsylvania today at the Mat-Town ll Open at Lock Haven University. Only 2 Indiana wrestlers I know there . Let me know if anyone else and I’ll update . 

Asa wins his 1st match 21-3 Tech Fall over Lock Haven 

Anthony wins his match 11-5 over Penn State 

Keep us updated! Thanks