Jump to content

Hoosiers in College 2021-22 - Post Results here!


Recommended Posts

I'm a little late to the party this year and wont  have time to update like I have in the past.  But all results, good or bad, from former Indiana HS'ers wrestling in college are welcomed! Please post date and tournament or dual with any results.  Thanks!

I'll start with a nice result today at the Daktronics Open for Silas Allred, taking the title.  The field wasn't as deep as other weight classes, but he did get a nice win over Iowa State starter and #1 seed Yonger Bastida in the semifinal.  Batisda pretty much controlled the first 6 minutes, getting 2 takedowns in the first period.  Silas came out of a scramble to get a takedown and take Batisda straight to his back and got the fall.  He was 3-0 on the day with 3 falls.

Allred was wrestling Unattached for Nebraska.  Looks like he'll sit this year behind Eric Schultz.

 

 

Edited by SWINfan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

The Cliff Keen Las Vegas invitational is this weekend with many top teams.  Brayton Lee, Mason Parris and Gable Steveson are sitting this one out.  

Saturday update
@141 Chad Red is in the semifinal and will face Andrew Alirez, the #2 seed from Northern Colorado.
@197 Thomas Penola dropped his 2nd round match but has won 3 on the back side to guarantee 8th place.  
@285 Lucas Davison fell in the quarterfinal 5-3 to Yaraslau Slavikouski from Harvard.  He won his blood round match and is guaranteed 8th place. 
 
Update with Placements
@197 - Thomas Penola takes 3rd with a 6-5 upset over #9 and top-seeded Jake Woodley from Oklahoma.  Nice win!
@285 - Lucas Davison gets 5th Place with a fall over AJ Nevills of South Dakota State
@141 - Chad Red finished in 3rd Place with a 6-1 win over Cole Mattin of Michigan.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A couple of other notes:
Nick Lee won for Penn State Friday night beating #28 Carmen Ferrante 6-3.  PSU had the flu run thru their team and did not wrestle Roman Bravo-Young, Aaron Brooks or Greg Kerkvliet.  Reports said Nick looked extremely gassed in the 3rd period so it is likely he wasn't at full strength either.

On 11/14 at the Jonathan Koulast Bearcat Open, Matt Lee at 165, beat 3rd ranked Julian Ramirez of Cornell 8-5.  Ramirez beat National Champ Shane Griffith a week later in a dual meet.  Ramirez lost to OSU's Carson Kharchla in the CKLV quarterfinal and is wrestling in the consis, assured of placing.  Matt ultimately finished 2nd in that tournament, losing to a wrestler from Binghamton in the final 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some results from Sunday Dec. 5:

Indiana Little State was this weekend featuring many of the small schools across the state.  There is no way I can list all of the results, so I'll hit some of the highlights.  If I miss someone, I apologize. 

125 - Anthony Hughes - Marian/Lawrence North finished 3rd
133 - Matt Gimson - IN Tech/Jimtown won the title, Chase Wilkerson - Indianapolis/Mt. Vernon Fortville took 2nd Place and Jared Brown - Marian/Pendleton Heights was 3rd.
141 - Ray Rioux - Indianapolis/Avon finished 1st, Gavin Alstott - Wabash/Floyd Central took 3rd and Hunter Cottingham - Indianapolis/Western was 4th.
149 - Logan Bailey - Indianapolis/Cathedral was the Champion, Alex Barr - Wabash/Yorktown was the runner up, and Scott Fitts - IN Tech/Mater Dei finished 4th.
157 - Nathan Conley - UIndy/Avon finished in 2nd Place
165 - Jack Eiteljorge - UIndy/Carmel took home the title with a 8-5 dec over Eliott Rodgers - Marian/Cathedral who finished 2nd. 
174 - Bradley Harrington - Wabash/Ind. North Central finished 3rd
184 - Sam Osho - Wabash/Avon is the Champion, Sam Morrill - UIndy/Columbus East finished 3rd and Cody Timmerman - IN Tech/Mishawaka was 4th.
197 - Jack Servies - Marian/Perry Meridian finished 2nd while Phoenix Rodgers - UIndy/Heritage Hills and Derek Blubaugh - UIndy/Bloomington South double forfeited their 3rd/4th Place Match
285 - Brayden Erb - IN Tech/Western took 3rd Place 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Cleveland State Open was Saturday Dec 11.  Some related results...
125 - IU's Jacob Moran took home the title with a 7-4 dec over Pittsburgh's Colton Camacho
133 - Christian White, Unattachd_Purdue finished 4th going 2-2 on the day.
141 - Cayden Rooks, IU, finished 5th after dropping a SV dec to Pat Nolan of Michigan.  Like IHSAA State, the tourney was set up that early wrestlebacks are for 5th Place and Semifinal losers automatically wrestler for 3rd/4th.  He went 4-1 on the day.
149 - Graham Rooks, IU, dropped his first match, then won 4 straight before dropping the 3nr/4th Place match to finish 4th.  Along the way he beat Jaden Reynolds 15-2 and teammate Alec Freeman 8-3. He finished 4-2 on the day. 
149 - Jaden Reynolds, Unattached_Purdue lost to the eventual champ in round 1, then won 2 in the consis before running into Rooks.  He finished 2-2.
149 - Alec Freeman, Unattached, IU won his 1st 2 matches, lost in the Quarterfinal and then to Rooks in the consolation, falling short of placing.
157 - Jonathan Kervin, IU went 1-2 and did not place
157 - Kasper McIntosh, IU went 3-2 and did not place (no 7th/8th place match)
165 - Isaiah Levitz, IU went 1-2 and did not place
165 - Hayden Lohrey, Purdue defeated Rob Deters in the opening match, went 5-1 and finished in 5th Place
165 - Rob Deters, IU was 0-2 and did not place
174 - Anthony Ciccarelli, West Virginia dropped a 5-2 decision to Nick South in the opener and did not place going 1-2 on the day.
174 - Nick South, IU beat Ciccarelli in round 1, then fell to Joseph Walker 6-5, in the 2nd. He went 2-1 on the day before MFF out of the tourney
174 - Joeseph Walker, Michigan won his first 3 matches, lost in the semifinal and then FF'd the 3rd/4th Place match.

184 - Donnell Washington, IU took him the title winning 3 matches by fall and a 16-11 dec in the Final over Colin McCracken of Kent St.
184 - Macartney Parkinson, Purdue went 2-2 and did not place
197 - Nick Willham, IU went 4-0 and is the Champion.
197 - Evan Bates, Unattached_Northwestern went 5-1 and finished 5th, with his only loss, a 6-3 decision to Willham in the quarterfinal
285 - Mason Parris, MIchigan went 5-0 and won the title.  He had 2 falls, 2 majors and a Tech Fall, including a 13-3 major over Andrew Irick. He WBF over IU's Jacob Bullock in the Final.
285 - Andrew Irick, IU went 2-2 and did not place

My apologies if I missed anyone.

The UNI Open was also Sat. Dec 11
Brayton Lee, Minnesota won the 157 lb title with a TF, 2 majors and a 6-3 win over Missouri's Jarrett Jacques in the Final.
174 - Graham Calhoun, Wisconsin went 1-2 and did not place


Ohio U - Bellarmine Dual
157 Jordan Slivka and 197 Carson Brewer both won their matches by fall


Rutgers - Army West Point Dual - Friday Dec 10
174 - Clayton Fielden, Army won by 5-3 dec over Connor O'Neill
184 - Brad Laughlin, Army lost a 13-4 Major decision to John Poznanski


 

Edited by SWINfan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/14/2021 at 9:33 AM, navy80 said:

Hayden Lohrey has wrestle out of his mind since going to Purdue! 

He is getting his first dual meet start at 165 this weekend at Iowa State. I Can’t tell you how hard he has worked to get to this point. He has shoulder surgeries in each of the past 2 years (same surgery on each one) on top of having to close the gap to get into the lineup. Glad to see him finally getting his payoff. Great kid. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

December 18-19 - Some more results from this weekend...

Jordan Slivka won both matches in duals against Gardner Webb and George Mason, 2-0 and 8-0.  Slivka is ranked 23rd at 157 by both Flo and Wrestlestat.

Carson Brewer dropped a 4-3 decision to Anthony Perrine of Gardner Webb and did not wrestle in the George Mason Dual.  Ohio U FF the 197 match in that dual.  Let's hope that's not an indication of an injury!   Mattyb, any info you can share??

Eli Dickens enrolled at George Mason last year and did not wrestle in either dual.  I can't find a roster for George Mason this year.  Does anyone have an update on Eli and how he's doing?  Is he still at GM?

Purdue lost a dual to Iowa State 23-13. 
Hayden Lohrey won a 5-3 dec over Austin Kraisser
- Thomas Penola dropped a 6-4 dec to Yonger Batisda Pomares

The Midwest Classic in Indianapolis was Sunday as well.  it's a huge tournament that included 41 teams!  Some Indiana related results....
125 Christian Mejia, McKendree took home the Title, going 5-0 on the day!
133 Chase Wilkerson, UIndy went 2-2 and did not place
141 Ray Rioux, UIndy went 2-2 and did not place
149 Logan Bailey, UIndy went 4-2 and finished 7th
157 Nathan Conley, UIndy went 1-2 and did not place
157 Carter Noehre, Colorado School of Mines went 3-2 and did not place
165 Jack Eiteljorge, UIndy went 6-2 and finished 4th.  Do MFFs count as a win?  If not, he was 5-2.  Not sure how they are counted in terms of a win
184 Gleason Mappes, UIndy went 2-2 and did not place
197 Derek Blubaugh, UIndy went 4-1 and finished as the Runner Up

UIndy finished 2nd, 9 points behind Central Oklahoma.

Again, my apologies if I missed someone.  

Edited by SWINfan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, SWINfan said:

December 18-19 - Some more results from this weekend...

Jordan Slivka won both matches in duals against Gardner Webb and George Mason, 2-0 and 8-0.  Slivka is ranked 23rd at 157 by both Flo and Wrestlestat.

Carson Brewer dropped a 4-3 decision to Anthony Perrine of Gardner Webb and did not wrestle in the George Mason Dual.  Ohio U FF the 197 match in that dual.  Let's hope that's not an indication of an injury!   Mattyb, any info you can share??

Eli Dickens enrolled at George Mason last year and did not wrestle in either dual.  I can't find a roster for George Mason this year.  Does anyone have an update on Eli and how he's doing?  Is he still at GM?

Purdue lost a dual to Iowa State 23-13. 
Hayden Lohrey won a 5-3 dec over Austin Kraisser
- Thomas Penola dropped a 6-4 dec to Yonger Batisda Pomares

The Midwest Classic in Indianapolis was Sunday as well.  it's a huge tournament that included 41 teams!  Some Indiana related results....
125 Christian Mejia, McKendree took home the Title, going 5-0 on the day!
133 Chase Wilkerson, UIndy went 2-2 and did not place
141 Ray Rioux, UIndy went 2-2 and did not place
149 Logan Bailey, UIndy went 4-2 and finished 7th
157 Nathan Conley, UIndy went 1-2 and did not place
157 Carter Noehre, Colorado School of Mines went 3-2 and did not place
165 Jack Eiteljorge, UIndy went 6-2 and finished 4th.  Do MFFs count as a win?  If not, he was 5-2.  Not sure how they are counted in terms of a win
184 Gleason Mappes, UIndy went 2-2 and did not place
197 Derek Blubaugh, UIndy went 4-1 and finished as the Runner Up

UIndy finished 2nd, 9 points behind Central Oklahoma.

Again, my apologies if I missed someone.  

Pretty sure Dickens is back in Evansville going to USI

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Christian Mejia with a solid career in college. Placed 2nd, 5th, and 5th in High School. Placed 5th in college at D2 McKendree. 

 

Derek Blubaugh of Bloomington South had a nice run at the Midwest Classic. He lost in the finals to the returning D2 runner up. 

 1st Place Match - Dalton Abney (Central Oklahoma) 5-0 won by decision over Derek Blubaugh (Indianapolis) 4-1 (Dec 4-0) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/19/2021 at 11:26 PM, SWINfan said:

December 18-19 - Some more results from this weekend...

Jordan Slivka won both matches in duals against Gardner Webb and George Mason, 2-0 and 8-0.  Slivka is ranked 23rd at 157 by both Flo and Wrestlestat.

Carson Brewer dropped a 4-3 decision to Anthony Perrine of Gardner Webb and did not wrestle in the George Mason Dual.  Ohio U FF the 197 match in that dual.  Let's hope that's not an indication of an injury!   Mattyb, any info you can share??

Eli Dickens enrolled at George Mason last year and did not wrestle in either dual.  I can't find a roster for George Mason this year.  Does anyone have an update on Eli and how he's doing?  Is he still at GM?

Purdue lost a dual to Iowa State 23-13. 
Hayden Lohrey won a 5-3 dec over Austin Kraisser
- Thomas Penola dropped a 6-4 dec to Yonger Batisda Pomares

The Midwest Classic in Indianapolis was Sunday as well.  it's a huge tournament that included 41 teams!  Some Indiana related results....
125 Christian Mejia, McKendree took home the Title, going 5-0 on the day!
133 Chase Wilkerson, UIndy went 2-2 and did not place
141 Ray Rioux, UIndy went 2-2 and did not place
149 Logan Bailey, UIndy went 4-2 and finished 7th
157 Nathan Conley, UIndy went 1-2 and did not place
157 Carter Noehre, Colorado School of Mines went 3-2 and did not place
165 Jack Eiteljorge, UIndy went 6-2 and finished 4th.  Do MFFs count as a win?  If not, he was 5-2.  Not sure how they are counted in terms of a win
184 Gleason Mappes, UIndy went 2-2 and did not place
197 Derek Blubaugh, UIndy went 4-1 and finished as the Runner Up

UIndy finished 2nd, 9 points behind Central Oklahoma.

Again, my apologies if I missed someone.  

Carson got a ff against George Mason. 
 

Against Gardner Webb he was choked out in the first 15 seconds. Had to clear protocol to continue. Probably shouldn’t have. Told me he was half way through the match before he started to get right and thought he was winning! Lol 

 

Bad circumstances, tough one. Been back just a few weeks now. Looking to do some damage at midlands. 
 

Congrats to all these kids. Most people have no clue what these kids go through to wrestle in college. Much love to them all! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At the Collegiate Duals this past Monday and Tuesday Nick Lee went 3-0, all three being major decisions, to up hos record to 7-0. First came an 18-4 win over Northern Iowa's Cael Happel (12-4) (the Happel's have to hate this guy as he teched Carter in 2020 at Iowa). Next was a 13-3 win over Cornell's Cole Handlovic (6-7). He finished the event with a 14-3 win over ASU's Jesse Vazquez (7-1).

 

Meanwhile, Joe Lee made his season debut. Unfortunately it was a 4-2 loss to Cornell's Colton Yapoujian (7-2). The only takedown came on a throw attempt by Lee that failed and put him under Yapoujian.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Ahawkeye said:

So Lee and Eireman (sp?) didn't wrestle... Hmmmm a move by Brands I'm sure. I don't blame Iowa for the move but I'm sure we'd all like to see the match up. Guess we'll have to wait till NCAA's

A lot of posturing in Duals. If they “Duck”They matter very little in the final rankings, for the top guys this early in the season.  So it’s too much risk in the early part of the season. In a the big ten tournament they will have to face each other. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Ahawkeye said:

So Lee and Eireman (sp?) didn't wrestle... Hmmmm a move by Brands I'm sure. I don't blame Iowa for the move but I'm sure we'd all like to see the match up. Guess we'll have to wait till 

 PSU and Iowa were in different pools and didn't meet. It was two separate 6-team tournaments at the same event.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, maligned said:

 PSU and Iowa were in different pools and didn't meet. It was two separate 6-team tournaments at the same event.

How do they crown a winner? Seems odd not to wrestle the two pool winners. I thought they used to have a national duals champion is this not that event? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Ahawkeye said:

How do they crown a winner? Seems odd not to wrestle the two pool winners. I thought they used to have a national duals champion is this not that event? 

Sort of. They actually had four pools of three teams day 1. Then they cross-pooled in single placement duals among two pairs of two pools the second day. So national duals in the sense that many top teams were there, but not a national duals championship, exactly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll add, the vision for the event was originally to have a true champion.  But several coaches balked at wrestling team's already on their schedule so they created the format you got.  Each team had 2 scheduled opponents, then the "winner" of the other pod in their Pool.  PSU and Iowa were in opposite Pools, so they could not face each other.  3 matches total.  They originally announced it as National Duals, but quickly changed it to Collegiate Duals to try to limit confusion.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/21/2021 at 12:52 PM, Mattyb said:

Carson got a ff against George Mason. 
 

Against Gardner Webb he was choked out in the first 15 seconds. Had to clear protocol to continue. Probably shouldn’t have. Told me he was half way through the match before he started to get right and thought he was winning! Lol 

 

Bad circumstances, tough one. Been back just a few weeks now. Looking to do some damage at midlands. 
 

Congrats to all these kids. Most people have no clue what these kids go through to wrestle in college. Much love to them all! 

Did he get caught in a Front head position on a shot attempt? There's few ways I've seen it happen that way, glad he's doing better.. Tell him I said , What's up stud and I'll be looking forward to seeing him at Nationals!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, SWINfan said:

I'll add, the vision for the event was originally to have a true champion.  But several coaches balked at wrestling team's already on their schedule so they created the format you got.  Each team had 2 scheduled opponents, then the "winner" of the other pod in their Pool.  PSU and Iowa were in opposite Pools, so they could not face each other.  3 matches total.  They originally announced it as National Duals, but quickly changed it to Collegiate Duals to try to limit confusion.  

They can't have Desanto threatening Penn State more than once a season 😂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Did he get caught in a Front head position on a shot attempt? There's few ways I've seen it happen that way, glad he's doing better.. Tell him I said , What's up stud and I'll be looking forward to seeing him at Nationals!

Yep. He was in on a shot in the first few seconds (imagine that). He came to his feet and had him bear hugged in the air and the dude just squeezed his oxygen off. Was there for a while, before the ref blew the whistle. Was out on his feet. 

Edited by Mattyb
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hasn't been a lot of wrestling recently due to the Holidays and canceled events.  There were a small handful of Hoosiers who wrestled at the Southern Scuffle, those mentioned it its own thread.

I'm sure i've missed a few events.  Michigan did travel to Arizona State on Monday Jan 3.  Due to covid issues with ASU, only 4 matches were wrestled.  The only one with a former Hoosier was the return of Stevan Micic at 141 for Michigan, his first folkstyle match since 2019.  He won an 8-6 decision over Julian Chlebove. 

Tonight, Jan 4th Indiana traveled to Ohio U.  Again, due to covid, there were limited matches with no wrestling at 157, 174, 197 and 285.  Due to the shortage of matches, as with the ASU - Michigan matched referenced above, no team score was kept.  Relevant results:
125, 141 and 149 all resulted in decision losses by Jacob Moran, Cayden Rooks and Graham Rooks.  In an oddity, the Rooks brothers faced off against Kyran and Alec Hagan, also brothers.  
At 184 DJ Washington gets a 16-6 Major over Zayne Lehman.

Lastly, this week came the official news that Drew Hildebrandt has joined the Penn State program and will wrestle 125.  They hope to have him ready to wrestle this weekend.  Welcome back Drew!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, TeamGarcia said:

Ohio looked good. They won 4 of 6 matches plus splitting the extra matches 1-1 with a pin. 

Slivka and Brewer in protocol. Our boys were ready. Sucks for both teams, that this dual didn't go as planned. Covid is ruining it all. Bout over it all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.