Last vote-in spots for team state

decbell1

2 hours ago, JMILL said:

I don't like to post much just read a lot, but when I see something this stupid I have to call out its utter ignorance.  Come on man that was a classless post and I hope you were just trying to post something funny (it didn't work) and it was just totally disrespectful.  give it a better positive effort next time.
@QuinnHarris is doing great things with a great group of kids lets just all be impressed by that.

Thanks Jason, and everyone else for the support. Just doing our best one day at a time, be better than we were yesterday!

It is all about match-ups, especially early in the year when teams are trying to figure out their lineup.  Frankton has got an invite to team state twice, placing as high as 5th losing to North Posey in a dual that came down to bonus points.  We split matches 7-7, was an exciting dual and what it should be about.  

Fast forward to this year, we have 30 kids on our roster with some young kids, and some talent from top to bottom.  Several options within all weight classes. 

Opening weekend Delta beats us, Alexandria beats Delta, and we beat Alexandria.  It literally was about match-ups.  I would say all three teams were not at full strength either with the best 14 kids in each lineup. 

For a small school, we wrestle a very competitive schedule, facing very few 1A & 2A teams.  The Pendleton Heights regional is not a cakewalk by no means, especially with Cathedral, several Indy schools, Noblesville, Pendleton Heights, etc.  Even the Elwood sectional is highly competitive from a team and individual standpoint with semi-state/state ranked kids representing several weight classes.  We will continue to do what we do with our program, and hope the cards fall in place.  Looking at the 1A qualifying teams and FF's within several of their lineups, it becomes frustrating for teams such as ours and others such as Cascade that could represent well at a 1A level.

Edited by Coach Duncan

52 minutes ago, Coach Duncan said:

It is all about match-ups, especially early in the year when teams are trying to figure out their lineup.  Frankton has got an invite to team state twice, placing as high as 5th losing to North Posey in a dual that came down to bonus points.  We split matches 7-7, was an exciting dual and what it should be about.  

Fast forward to this year, we have 30 kids on our roster with some young kids, and some talent from top to bottom.  Several options within all weight classes. 

Opening weekend Delta beats us, Alexandria beats Delta, and we beat Alexandria.  It literally was about match-ups.  I would say all three teams were not at full strength either with the best 14 kids in each lineup. 

For a small school, we wrestle a very competitive schedule, facing very few 1A & 2A teams.  The Pendleton Heights regional is not a cakewalk by no means, especially with Cathedral, several Indy schools, Noblesville, Pendleton Heights, etc.  Even the Elwood sectional is highly competitive from a team and individual standpoint with semi-state/state ranked kids representing several weight classes.  We will continue to do what we do with our program, and hope the cards fall in place.  Looking at the 1A qualifying teams and FF's within several of their lineups, it becomes frustrating for teams such as ours and others such as Cascade that could represent well at a 1A level.

Noticed this myself when I was doing some research looks like Daleville has 2 FF and so does Tell City. Having a full roster at 1A is huge and can be hard to do. We only have 20 kids on the team but find a way to fill a roster and compete! Good luck to all you coaches chasing a final spot as a kid who wrestled in the first IHSWCA Duals the tournament has grown a lot and guys like @maligned have done an incredible job of trying to put together the best product they can with going off the season befores results. Our situation sucks the IHSAA needs to reinstate their duals state but we all shouldn't hold our breathe on that one!

On 11/21/2021 at 11:34 AM, decbell1 said:

As a well-known glutton for punishment, I would ask that any coach who feels his team should be considered to email me their roster with grade and weight and probable lineup. We will be voting on the last team the Saturday before Christmas. 
good luck over the next few weeks!

If you’re following this thread, get ready for some rotten tomatoes… Everyone giving their two cents! 😂😂

I will put my 2 cents in on this matter!! There are may Programs that are deserving

of an Opportunity to go to Wrestling Team State. I have watch these Programs multiple time this year already.  Cascade has a very Solid line-up with kids that

Compete every second on the Mat. Owen Valley is the other team I think is up and

coming. The had a Great Football season and it has carried over to the Wrestling room, with kids caring and buying in to what the Coach presented to the youth 3 years ago.  Quinn Harris and Steven Spicer are both former Wrestlers and are helping 

these young kids to learn and work hard. Which will in turn make active , disciplined young Adult . 

So , I say Thank you to them and look at the Scores and choose with a Biased ,Open mind to get the Best result for this Great Sport. 

Thanks Bigtoe19

42 minutes ago, Bigtoe19 said:

I will put my 2 cents in on this matter!! There are may Programs that are deserving

of an Opportunity to go to Wrestling Team State. I have watch these Programs multiple time this year already.  Cascade has a very Solid line-up with kids that

Compete every second on the Mat. Owen Valley is the other team I think is up and

coming. The had a Great Football season and it has carried over to the Wrestling room, with kids caring and buying in to what the Coach presented to the youth 3 years ago.  Quinn Harris and Steven Spicer are both former Wrestlers and are helping 

these young kids to learn and work hard. Which will in turn make active , disciplined young Adult . 

So , I say Thank you to them and look at the Scores and choose with a Biased ,Open mind to get the Best result for this Great Sport. 

Thanks Bigtoe19

These two teams dual tomorrow! 

Cascade High School 9AM in the Cadet Center!

Come to #thecounty to see some great wrestling this Saturday!

On 12/3/2021 at 8:00 PM, Coach Duncan said:

I agree with everything!  It's frustrating when you don't compare apples to apples.  I don't know of a better way to go about selecting the teams for team state but I'm not super happy about the current way either.  I think making it into a larger bracket and having it be two tournaments would be my pick.  I'm assuming most smaller schools wouldn't mind this either.  Top two from each region having top 10 teams from each area compete in a regional qualifier would be great.  Doubt that would ever happen.  Sectionals and regionals aren't the same across the board.  I do truly appreciate the effort that people put into this process.  It can't be easy. I realize that someone is upset every year.   I do think team state is a way to grow small wrestling programs and it's vital to continue having it.  

Edited by Raven27

On 12/3/2021 at 8:00 PM, Coach Duncan said:

I couldn’t agree more. Our dual record stinks right now, but we have also been without multiple varsity guys at both of our tournaments. Strength of schedule has to mean something too. We are 3-7 but all 7 of our losses are to 3A and 4A schools. We will get to see jay county on Tuesday

11 hours ago, AdamsCoBuschhh said:

South Adams should get in with ease this year.  They are pretty tough for 1A, and have several tough kids coming up through their ranks to keep reloading.  

Interesting to hear that from an Adam’s Central guy(I believe)… What hurt SA last I think was not having a full lineup.. If they had a full lineup last year this wouldn’t be a discussion, they would have qualified. Also that Jay county regional is pretty darn tough for Fort Wayne semi state! I have heard great things about SA this year but haven’t made it to watch them… Hopefully team state! 

Winamac Warriors have started out strong this season! (7-0)

Key wins over Twin Lakes, North White and West Central. They have been runner up in the sectional the last 2 years, but are primed for big things this season. The line up is full and highly competitive. They are always a great dual team.

10 hours ago, Peopleschamp said:

Interesting to hear that from an Adam’s Central guy(I believe)… What hurt SA last I think was not having a full lineup.. If they had a full lineup last year this wouldn’t be a discussion, they would have qualified. Also that Jay county regional is pretty darn tough for Fort Wayne semi state! I have heard great things about SA this year but haven’t made it to watch them… Hopefully team state! 

99% Adams Central and .9 South Adams and .1 Bellmont haha

10 hours ago, Warrior94 said:

Key wins over Twin Lakes, North White and West Central. They have been runner up in the sectional the last 2 years, but are primed for big things this season. The line up is full and highly competitive. They are always a great dual team.

I’ve paid attention to them but it’s hard to tell how good they are because of their S.O.S is not as tough as others.. Winning and quality wins are two different things and will make it hard for the committee I’m sure to decide.. It would be cool to see them there! 

On 12/6/2021 at 8:27 AM, Warrior94 said:

And that 7-0 is not full strength lineup.. got some quarantine issues that will resolve this week and will get to take on Bremen, Tippy Vally, John Glenn, Lakeland and , Luers this Saturday….  Winamac SHOULD be at top of that final vote in spot!!! 

I have heard that Roncalli still hasn't been voted in for 3A Team State, they have 2 returning state qualifiers and 9 returning semi state qualifiers, as well as being ranked #1 in the New Castle Semi-State. They are a dangerous team and have a really good chance at making a run to win the 3A Team State at Franklin.

2 hours ago, Antknee said:

Aren't the teams listed in the Vote In from last April the teams that the committee will be voting on for the final spots in 1A and 2A? @malignedcan you help me out here?

I wouldn't think that's the case, because then why not vote in April then? The whole point of the last vote-in spot is for the teams that big improvements in the offseason that no one saw coming, or didn't have the math to make the last spot in the formula. 

14 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

The teams on those bubble spots are the "most likely" to make the final spot, however the new way adds in the opportunity for teams that see significant improvements and surprises early in the season to be considered.

That was my question. I knew it was open to everyone, but those teams would be near the top of the pecking order. Thanks!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.