Last vote-in spots for team state

decbell1

7 hours ago, Tysi said:

Hey, that 85-90 pound MAX was like 90.3 that morning!  LOL

No shame in going out to battle and wrestling hard like he did.  I'm not sure if you are being serious and know the weight or were being sarcastic?  He was a lot smaller than the others with Stevie Wonder's vision.  And to think some wrestlers are afraid of a few pounds, let alone 15-20!  Great backbridge by him to not get pinned in the last match, was impressed with the fight in the dog.  Kudos!

On 12/12/2021 at 8:20 PM, AdamsCoBuschhh said:

Which 4?  I know the 106 pounder was 85-90 pounds MAX and Gavin Davis was out.  Faurote?

I believe the score was 52 - 30. Don't know what score would have been if the four varsity you listed wrestled. However, Friedt has not won against Johnson at any point that I can remember. In fact, I believe Johnson handled him multiple times last year. Davis who I believe is from Leo is an excellent wrestler. He would have wrestled Cox from Norwell that has wrestled him several times. Cox placed 2nd at middle school state to Davis. Don't know about the other two match ups. Not trying show any disrespect to Bellmont that has a fantastic team. Simply pointing out that Norwell DID hold their own against Bellmont and would have even with the four that were out wrestled. 

On 12/2/2021 at 10:56 AM, 84Coach said:

Don't sleep on Cascade HS for 1A vote in spot. Full Roster, solid lineup. Several studs. Been borderline on qualification for 2 years without a full lineup and missing crucial guys from the tourney. 6-1 currently in duals. Lost a nail biter 1 match dual to Mt Vernon Posey.

I see Monrovia is now Ranked #6 at 2A. Good for them. They are a solid squad.

Cascade vs Monrovia  C35- M37

Was a great dual that could have went either way!

Cascade will see # 5 (1A) Centerville in round 1 of this weekends duals in New Castle. Then end the day with #10 (1A) South Adams.

Lets let the wrestling do the talking, hold those vote in until Saturday night!

Check out this video highlight from our 72-9 victory against Lutheran, this team brings some great talent and energy every time they hit the mat! Wrestling fans always enjoy a good hype video.

Coach Quinn Harris and the Cascade Wrestling Team - YouTube

7 hours ago, 84Coach said:

I see Monrovia is now Ranked #6 at 2A. Good for them. They are a solid squad.

Cascade vs Monrovia  C35- M37

Was a great dual that could have went either way!

Cascade will see # 5 (1A) Centerville in round 1 of this weekends duals in New Castle. Then end the day with #10 (1A) South Adams.

Lets let the wrestling do the talking, hold those vote in until Saturday night!

Check out this video highlight from our 72-9 victory against Lutheran, this team brings some great talent and energy every time they hit the mat! Wrestling fans always enjoy a good hype video.

Coach Quinn Harris and the Cascade Wrestling Team - YouTube

Can you post the matches by round? Would like to see when some teams square off. 

6 hours ago, purdue02 said:

Is there any potential in the future to have 2 or 3 wild cards? I ask mainly at the 1A level based on the comments I’ve read here.

This in season vote is basically determining the last of the two “wild card” spots.  The committee decided to leave one of the spot still undecided until after the beginning of this season in hopes the recent results may help narrow down the final option.  It’s worth noting that the committee already allowed 1A and 2A to have 12 teams in to somewhat account for the yearly fluctuation issues small schools normally deal with.  3A and 4A only get 8 teams in currently.  

For 1A and 2A the  top scoring team from each semi-state in each class earns an automatic bid.  Then the  six highest scores after earn the next automatic bids.   Then one wildcard team was voted in during the Spring by the Coaches Associated committee.  Finally for this year they elected to vote in the second wildcard team after the current season started.  Which could be an annoyance to some ADs with the schedule set prior, but they decided to take a chance on it hoping it wouldn’t be a big deal if just a single team per class had to shift things to fit it in thir schedule. 

Maybe the question you should be asking is there a possibility in the future of allowing the other wildcard spot to be determined at the start of the current season.  Or drop one or two of the automatic entries and add more wildcards.   It would take some more scheduling work arounds by the schools AD, but if they value the event then maybe something can be arranged.  Possibly setting up a permanent north and south dual meet location for teams in the wildcard list who end up not making the cut would help.  That way the team can keep the date open and if they don’t make it in they still have schedule set for the season and some quality matches either way. 

Edited by MattM

I am guessing this would never happen, but I really like the idea of having the small schools having a regional qualifier.  I am assuming that finding 10 1A schools from each region would not be that difficult to do.  I would also guess that finding a school to host it wouldn't be that difficult either.  I think that it would do wonders for small schools. I think it would increase the amount of kids that would take an interest in wrestling as well as bring more attention to the wrestling team within their school.  Take the top 4 from each region and that becomes your state dual.  I love the sport of wrestling because it seems to me to be that most fair sport there is.  Everything that you get you've earned.  I think determining state teams isn't comparing apples to apples.  I appreciate the effort that goes in to try to make it fair but it's not.  Have teams go head-to-head and earn their spot.  Set criteria for entering the tournament.  Must have 11 weight classes filled.  I think that would knock out most of the small schools and it would be easy to select the ones for the regional tournament.  Break the regionals up by Semi-States.  If a 1A School goes through East Chicago and has 11 weight classes filled then they are eligible to enter the tournament.  I also think that would be a great tournament to wrestle in anyway regardless if that team qualifies for State or not.  Then the teams like Frankton, Cascade, Alexandria, Winimac, Faith Christian, Sheridan, Indianapolis Lutheran, Southmont, Freemont, Bremen, South Adams ect...  I think the list could go on.  Let them earn it head to head.  I would guess most teams wouldn't have a problem with wrestling two weekends in great competitive tournaments.  Just a thought   

On 12/15/2021 at 8:58 AM, Raven27 said:

I am guessing this would never happen, but I really like the idea of having the small schools having a regional qualifier.  I am assuming that finding 10 1A schools from each region would not be that difficult to do.  I would also guess that finding a school to host it wouldn't be that difficult either.  I think that it would do wonders for small schools. I think it would increase the amount of kids that would take an interest in wrestling as well as bring more attention to the wrestling team within their school.  Take the top 4 from each region and that becomes your state dual.  I love the sport of wrestling because it seems to me to be that most fair sport there is.  Everything that you get you've earned.  I think determining state teams isn't comparing apples to apples.  I appreciate the effort that goes in to try to make it fair but it's not.  Have teams go head-to-head and earn their spot.  Set criteria for entering the tournament.  Must have 11 weight classes filled.  I think that would knock out most of the small schools and it would be easy to select the ones for the regional tournament.  Break the regionals up by Semi-States.  If a 1A School goes through East Chicago and has 11 weight classes filled then they are eligible to enter the tournament.  I also think that would be a great tournament to wrestle in anyway regardless if that team qualifies for State or not.  Then the teams like Frankton, Cascade, Alexandria, Winimac, Faith Christian, Sheridan, Indianapolis Lutheran, Southmont, Freemont, Bremen, South Adams ect...  I think the list could go on.  Let them earn it head to head.  I would guess most teams wouldn't have a problem with wrestling two weekends in great competitive tournaments.  Just a thought   

Yes let them earn it head to head. I think filling 11 is a bit much. I'd say 7 or 8 have to be filled since that is half of the classes or one over.

On 12/8/2021 at 7:14 AM, Peopleschamp said:

Cowan is already in for the tournament so they don’t need to get voted in. They also looked very good last year for a 1A state title but does anyone know why they had so many forfeits for their first dual this year? 

Covid!

5 hours ago, lewisnc100 said:

Hopefully Roncalli made the 3A choice easy after winning the Marion County team championship today over #8/#7 4A Perry Meridian and #10/#9 4A Warren Central.

3A hope springs eternal as Hobart beats Chesterton, Lake Central, Valpo all by 20+ today. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.