Toughest Regular Season Tournament

Paycheck141

3 hours ago, The honeybadger said:

Ive never competed in the Al Smith but i do know that if you take top 3 there you are most likely a state qualifier.

lol...i took 5th at Al Smith and then 3rd at state...my first placer at Garrett, Bo Davis, went 1-2 at Al Smith, then took 3rd at state...(he did beat the al smith champion Saturday morning at State...

Fielden never made the Al Smith Finals, but made it under the lights twice...(beat kids at state who beat him at al smith)

War on the Wabash at Harrison high school is definitely a tough tournament 

when I wrestled they had Praire Heights, Jennings County, Goshen, Fairfield,Angola, Lake Central, South Bend Riley, Harrison, and Hamilton Southeastern, it changed every year but definitely a good one 

The spartan classic was a very tough tournament years ago, But with lots of high quality teams leaving for team state or other big tournies it is not the same. Still a good tournament! but obviously is not the al smith, but hosted some really good final matches. My bracket back in 2012 had 1-6 place all state qualifiers including Vinny cosaro and josh farell that ended up being the state finals match. 

14 hours ago, Darrick Snyder said:

Brecksville, Ohio is by far the toughest regular season tournament I’ve ever taken a team to.  It’s nasty.  We are going back this year.  

After this year you will be saying the little ironman aka Carnahan Invite.

11 minutes ago, Sig40 said:

After this year you will be saying the little ironman aka Carnahan Invite.

Crown Point has done a great job getting great teams to this. Going to be awesome. 

Brownsburgs schedule is nasty….

Brecksville

Carnahan

Grappler Gold in Michigan 

Harrison Duals In Ohio

HCC conference 

Team State

All very tough. Trending to a National schedule (as much as the IHSAA will allow). These kids will be battle tested. 

Duals against the following teams also.

Columbus East

Avon

Westfield

Perry Meridian 

Ben Davis

11 hours ago, Wrestlingfan937 said:

The spartan classic was a very tough tournament years ago, But with lots of high quality teams leaving for team state or other big tournies it is not the same. Still a good tournament! but obviously is not the al smith, but hosted some really good final matches. My bracket back in 2012 had 1-6 place all state qualifiers including Vinny cosaro and josh farell that ended up being the state finals match. 

I never won Connersville.  Got beat by Josh Stith of Jeffersonville.  Then drew him on Friday night.  That Jeffersonville team was nails.  Doherty and Rosbottom repeated as state champs that year.

Maybe I’m biased because I grew up there in South Bend.  And I had the bad luck of missing out on wrestling it 3 years in a row.  But give me The Smitty.  The old Mishawaka invite now the Al Smith.  You win that ; there is a chestie waiting on you.  Saw my uncle win it and it was the first tournament I ever saw.   I’ve seen returning state champs pinned there and go on to win state.   I understand that out of state and maybe down in Evansville or Kentucky there may be tougher tournaments: I’ll take the Smitty.

19 hours ago, Wrestlingfan937 said:

The pure blind draw of Connersville made it event worse.  No guaranteed warm up matches, you may be put on the hot seat in round 1.  Then it would have one heck of a late night wrestleback just to make it to day 2 if you lost early.   My few appearances there I was lucky enough get the early wins and then head back to the hotel to rest up while most had to battle on in the consols.  

Edited by MattM

5 hours ago, Holden said:

I never won Connersville.  Got beat by Josh Stith of Jeffersonville.  Then drew him on Friday night.  That Jeffersonville team was nails.  Doherty and Rosbottom repeated as state champs that year.

Should have thrown the headlock on him first, before he unleashed one.  It works for me once in freestyle.   😁

11 hours ago, Mattyb said:

Crown Point has done a great job getting great teams to this. Going to be awesome. 

Brownsburgs schedule is nasty….

Brecksville

Carnahan

Grappler Gold in Michigan 

Harrison Duals In Ohio

HCC conference 

Team State

All very tough. Trending to a National schedule (as much as the IHSAA will allow). These kids will be battle tested. 

Duals against the following teams also.

Columbus East

Avon

Westfield

Perry Meridian 

Ben Davis

Which says a lot about why that team is always near or at the top. You’re only as good as your competition and when you seek out the best, you become the best. 

2 hours ago, MattM said:

The pure blind draw of Connersville made it event worse.  No guaranteed warm up matches, you may be put on the hot seat in round 1.  Then it would ge one heck of a late night wrestleback just to make it to day 2 if you lost early.   My few appearances there I was lucky enough get the early wins and then head back to the hotel to rest up while the rest of the team battle on in the consols.  

They have new coaching staff this year, maybe if we get lucky things will get better.

14 hours ago, MattM said:

The pure blind draw of Connersville made it event worse.  No guaranteed warm up matches, you may be put on the hot seat in round 1.  Then it would have one heck of a late night wrestleback just to make it to day 2 if you lost early.   My few appearances there I was lucky enough get the early wins and then head back to the hotel to rest up while most had to battle on in the consols.  

I lost first round as a freshman and wrestled all the way back.  Decided to never do that again and made the finals the next three years.  However, senior year first round was Qualyn Boone (6th at state) and I.  My side of the bracket placed 1st/3rd/4th/5th/7th.

On 10/27/2021 at 9:34 PM, Wrestlingfan937 said:

They have new coaching staff this year, maybe if we get lucky things will get better.

I'll stick up for the former Connersville coaches on this one. They ALWAYS pushed for wifi and track wrestling in the Spartan Bowl. They went to their AD with a presentation of how it would improve the tournament and improve the revenue for the school if they spent the money to modernize the tournament but still got shot down every year. It's really a shame, this part of the state could really use a high-quality holiday tournament.

Al smith is always a great tournament, Steve continues to make it tougher every year

Triacoff always has great teams 5 duals, Cp being out hurt last year. 

westfield has done a great job of building up their Duals bringing in new squads every year 

Mater dei holiday classic- anytime you have a team like mater dei with their studs then you reach outside the state to bring in tough out of state teams is great 

Crown Point is building something special with the Caranhan some top teams from Ohio, Michigan illinois and Brownsburg and Crown Point that thing will be so good. The exciting thing is they want to add more talented teams every year. 
Out of state teams 

St Paris Grahm OH, Legacy Christian OH, Marmian Catholic IL, Homewood Flossmor IL,  Davison MI,  Lowell Mi,Elyria OH 

On 10/27/2021 at 7:47 PM, 1prouddad said:

Which says a lot about why that team is always near or at the top. You’re only as good as your competition and when you seek out the best, you become the best. 

This has to be the toughest schedule in the state am I wrong?! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2021 at 1:27 PM, Holden said:

From what I remember Josh, I was not excited to draw you first round at state. I considered you one of the best wrestlers at our weight, and most  likely to win it all that year. Especially after our match at Connersville. (Which I thought I got lucky to win) I knew I’d have to wrestle a perfect match to beat you at state. Which I obviously did not do lol. 

On 10/27/2021 at 6:47 PM, MattM said:

Should have thrown the headlock on him first, before he unleashed one.  It works for me once in freestyle.   😁

I tried like hell! But Holden was just a better wrestler than me and my luck ran out first round 😂

18 hours ago, Stith said:

From what I remember Josh, I was not excited to draw you first round at state. I considered you one of the best wrestlers at our weight, and most  likely to win it all that year. Especially after our match at Connersville. (Which I thought I got lucky to win) I knew I’d have to wrestle a perfect match to beat you at state. Which I obviously did not do lol. 

Whatever, man.  You were a stud.  You beat my butt at Connersville, I just had a good state tournament.  I was defiantly no the best kid in that weight.  It was loaded.  You, Maldonado, Koers, etc...  I'm just honored to be mentioned with you guys.  Bunch of class acts.

PS

I wouldn't wrestle you now.  I see you on Facebook kicking people's butts all the time 😄 .

PSS

Remember the world police and fire games when you wrestled Derek Donelson.  It was cool to get to coach in that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.