Jump to content

Indiana Grads currently wrestling in college


Recommended Posts

I'll start with the ones I personally know--keep this list going 

 

Clayton Fielden Garrett-West Point---possible 165 starter-I believe he's competing with Christian Hunt-Yorktown

Colton Weimer Garrett-Adrian---went 3-0 in Adrian wrestle offs---however didn't wrestle a senior due to his injury (top 2 at 125)

Mason Custer Garrett -Trine---competing for starting 165 (top 2)

Brady Ester-Snider-Wabash---competing for starting 125 (top 2)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, ReformedPoster said:

#5 Chad Red lost 3-1 in OT to #13 kid from UNC last night.

Red went the entire 7 minutes without taking a half shot or even a fake, never mind a shot. Then he waited more than a minute of SV to attempt his first shot. 8+ minutes without a shot. He is so frustrating to watch sometimes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Disco said:

Clarke? Maybe . He’s a transfer in to the UNC program 

Yes, Clarke is a transfer from American University & cut down from 149. He’s pretty big but his conditioning doesn’t look so good he barely made it out against Red. But a W’s a W ig.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, wrestlenewbie said:

Red went the entire 7 minutes without taking a half shot or even a fake, never mind a shot. Then he waited more than a minute of SV to attempt his first shot. 8+ minutes without a shot. He is so frustrating to watch sometimes.

He can still have matches like this occasionally, but his low-scoring reputation is mainly a relic from his first two years. His output jumped way up in 2020 but we didn't get to see the fruits of it at cancelled NCAAs. He averaged 7.5 pts per match then and continued with the same type of performances last year. His "worst" loss since 2019 was to the eventual #9 national seed. He only loses to AAs and generally scores well. He'll be fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, maligned said:

He can still have matches like this occasionally, but his low-scoring reputation is mainly a relic from his first two years. His output jumped way up in 2020 but we didn't get to see the fruits of it at cancelled NCAAs. He averaged 7.5 pts per match then and continued with the same type of performances last year. His "worst" loss since 2019 was to the eventual #9 national seed. He only loses to AAs and generally scores well. He'll be fine.

 

I get your main point. But I would amend your last point to he mostly loses to AAs. Kizhan Clarke is not an AA. He is a 1 time qualifier who might have AAed had the tourney been held. Nor is Simon Dresden an AA. So, 2 of his last 4 loses were to non-AA.

 

But then everyone mostly loses to AAs. That is how they get to be AAs.

 

I guess what I am saying is, he is so explosive, but I wish he would explode more.

Edited by wrestlenewbie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, wrestlenewbie said:

 

I get your main point. But I would amend your last point to he mostly loses to AAs. Kizhan Clarke is not an AA. He is a 1 time qualifier who might have AAed had the tourney been held. Nor is Simon Dresden an AA. So, 2 of his last 4 loses were to non-AA.

 

But then everyone mostly loses to AAs. That is how they get to be AAs.

 

I guess what I am saying is, he is so explosive, but I wish he would explode more.

What I meant to communicate was that he's only lost to year-end 9 seed or AA or better. His only losses are to those top tier guys. I was suggesting indirectly that we'll see Clarke turn out to be something like that as well and that this 3-1 loss with no offense isn't the norm unless Red has regressed considerably.

Edited by maligned
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/20/2021 at 9:13 AM, maligned said:

What I meant to communicate was that he's only lost to year-end 9 seed or AA or better. His only losses are to those top tier guys. I was suggesting indirectly that we'll see Clarke turn out to be something like that as well and that this 3-1 loss with no offense isn't the norm unless Red has regressed considerably.


I'll take a stab at it....

I don't think it's fair to say Chad has regressed.  But it is fair to say he hasn't advanced to a level many would hope.  He wrestles very timidly at times.  Some times it works, other times he loses to guys a high All-American should beat.  He also, fairly or unfairly gets compared to Nick Lee who scores points almost at will, has a high bonus rate and has finished higher than Chad every year.  In my opinion, Chad has been a good college wrestler at times, a very good wrestler at times but not an exceptional one.  A finish near the top of the podium would be great to see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/18/2021 at 8:29 PM, wrestlenewbie said:

Red went the entire 7 minutes without taking a half shot or even a fake, never mind a shot. Then he waited more than a minute of SV to attempt his first shot. 8+ minutes without a shot. He is so frustrating to watch sometimes.

He will AA this year. Again 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/20/2021 at 10:13 AM, maligned said:

What I meant to communicate was that he's only lost to year-end 9 seed or AA or better. His only losses are to those top tier guys. I was suggesting indirectly that we'll see Clarke turn out to be something like that as well and that this 3-1 loss with no offense isn't the norm unless Red has regressed considerably.

The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN 
you said regressed, shouldn’t even come up with this Champ. A 3x NCAA All-American regressed ? Year after year, match after match, Red wins when it counts . Lil’ Dual match doesn’t count for anything . Kid a winner, always has, always will be . Clarke beats him 2x when it counts then we’ll consider the word “regressed”. 
 

Chess my friends it’s a Chess game . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TeamGarcia said:

The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN 
you said regressed, shouldn’t even come up with this Champ. A 3x NCAA All-American regressed ? Year after year, match after match, Red wins when it counts . Lil’ Dual match doesn’t count for anything . Kid a winner, always has, always will be . Clarke beats him 2x when it counts then we’ll consider the word “regressed”. 
 

Chess my friends it’s a Chess game . 

If you read the thread, you'd see I said the same thing. He's top shelf and people are overreacting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Cliff Keen Las Vegas invitational is this weekend with many top teams.  Brayton Lee, Mason Parris and Gable Steveson are sitting this one out.  

Saturday update
@141 Chad Red is in the semifinal and will face Andrew Alirez, the #2 seed from Northern Colorado.
@197 Thomas Penola dropped his 2nd round match but has won 3 on the back side to guarantee 8th place.  
@285 Lucas Davison fell in the quarterfinal 5-3 to Yaraslau Slavikouski from Harvard.  He won his blood round match and is guaranteed 8th place. 
 
Update with Placements
@197 - Thomas Penola takes 3rd with a 6-5 upset over #9 and top-seeded Jake Woodley from Oklahoma.  Nice win!
@285 - Lucas Davison gets 5th Place with a fall over AJ Nevills of South Dakota State
@141 - Chad Red finished in 3rd Place with a 6-1 win over Cole Mattin of Michigan.  

Edited by SWINfan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A couple of other notes:
Nick Lee won for Penn State Friday night beating #28 Carmen Ferrante 6-3.  PSU had the flu run thru their team and did not wrestle Roman Bravo-Young, Aaron Brooks or Greg Kerkvliet.  Reports said Nick looked extremely gassed in the 3rd period so it is likely he wasn't at full strength either.

On 11/14 at the Jonathan Koulast Bearcat Open, Matt Lee at 165, beat 3rd ranked Julian Ramirez of Cornell 8-5.  Ramirez beat National Champ Shane Griffith a week later in a dual meet.  Ramirez lost to OSU's Carson Kharchla in the CKLV quarterfinal and is wrestling in the consis, assured of placing.  Matt ultimately finished 2nd in that tournament, losing to a wrestler from Binghamton in the final 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here are a few, captured from Indiana Little State...

125 - Anthony Hughes - Marian/Lawrence North 
133 - Matt Gimson - IN Tech/Jimtown 
- Chase Wilkerson - Indianapolis/Mt. Vernon Fortville
- Jared Brown - Marian/Pendleton Heights
141 - Ray Rioux - Indianapolis/Avon
- Gavin Alstott - Wabash/Floyd Central
- Hunter Cottingham - Indianapolis/Western 
149 - Logan Bailey - Indianapolis/Cathedral
- Alex Barr - Wabash/Yorktown
- Scott Fitts - IN Tech/Mater Dei 
157 - Nathan Conley - UIndy/Avon
165 - Jack Eiteljorge - UIndy/Carmel 
- Eliott Rodgers - Marian/Cathedral 
174 - Bradley Harrington - Wabash/Ind. North Central
184 - Sam Osho - Wabash/Avon
- Sam Morrill - UIndy/Columbus East
- Cody Timmerman - IN Tech/Mishawaka
197 - Jack Servies - Marian/Perry Meridian
- Phoenix Rodgers - UIndy/Heritage Hills
- Derek Blubaugh - UIndy/Bloomington South 
285 - Brayden Erb - IN Tech/Western 

These are just the 1-4 Placers from IN High Schools.  There were a ton more in the tournament, but this is a decent list.

Edited by SWINfan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.