Jesse Mendez - College?

Well unless he has recently cut down the list more his last Top 5 schools on his visit list were Indiana, Iowa, Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan.  And in a recent interview as part of Who’s #1 he was pretty clear about finding a school with a solid RTC program to help him with his international aspiration.  

If that's the case, Penn State and Michigan would seem to be the best choices.  Penn State/NLWC is easily dominating the international scene right now.  Michigan is solid and Ohio State has some guys, but I believe some of those are training elsewhere.  Iowa/HWC is pretty much absent in that realm right now.  Not sure how much Spencer Lee would be a draw for him.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2021 at 7:01 PM, 1prouddad said:

So now OSU got Mendez, Feldman and Bouzakis 

The rich get richer. On the other hand iu and Purdue keep hammering with left overs. Not all bad! But boy , when do the elites take a chance on a second rated squad. 

6 hours ago, Disco said:

The rich get richer. On the other hand iu and Purdue keep hammering with left overs. Not all bad! But boy , when do the elites take a chance on a second rated squad. 

Sadly, I'm guessing not until they have structures in place to more fully support both college and international goals. If you're elite, even if you love your hometown school and even if you think you could win at the NCAA level, it still must be so hard not to go where structures and track record support all of your dreams.

Edited by maligned

elites won't start picking the IU's or Purdue's until they can show that they consistently produce high all americans.  One or two all americans every couple of years isn't enough to attract the guys like Mendez.  IU will have to start turning guys like DJ Washington and all the IN high school state champs they are getting into high all americans for the elites to start taking notice.

And you all know it’s easier to produce AA’s at PSU an Iowa and Cornell and Ohio when you start with Jesse Mendezes.   Thus attracting the attention of possible recruits.  PU , Indiana talent is on another level.

How and when does this merry go round get interrupted so that Purdue and Indiana can compete?

1 hour ago, Disco said:

And you all know it’s easier to produce AA’s at PSU an Iowa and Cornell and Ohio when you start with Jesse Mendezes.   Thus attracting the attention of possible recruits.  PU , Indiana talent is on another level.

How and when does this merry go round get interrupted so that Purdue and Indiana can compete?

The NIL stuff will be interesting to follow. This could further separate the haves from the have nots. Even schools like Indiana and Purdue will have significant advantages over the smaller DI schools with this.

55 minutes ago, Disco said:

Yes, this will surely effect all aspects of recruiting as we know it. But not much is know as to what extent. 

Willie had a special "First Word" today and he went deep into the NIL. It's a crazy thing going on and this is only stuff for a minor sport like wrestling.

Indiana university is a major draw. Regardless of sports. From the information provided, it has the most living alumni of any university in the US.  Or close to it. I might say that any prospective athlete and an agent could parlay that in to$$$$$. 
So who cares about coaching or wrestling programs if you can make some nice scratch while doing what I went to university to do. 

4 minutes ago, Disco said:

Indiana university is a major draw. Regardless of sports. From the information provided, it has the most living alumni of any university in the US.  Or close to it. I might say that any prospective athlete and an agent could parlay that in to$$$$$. 
So who cares about coaching or wrestling programs if you can make some nice scratch while doing what I went to university to do. 

Most of these guys have bigger dreams (Olympics, World Titles, etc).  The Senior Circuit provides more money than in the past so guys can make a living.  I believe Nick Lee stated at one point (I'm paraphrasing) that it can only make you better when you go to workout daily and get your ass kicked by some of the best in the World.  The NLWC pretty much owned the Olympics this year, even having at least one medalist participating for another country.  Part of that domination included medalists that relocated from Ohio State and Iowa.  The cycle doesn't break until IU or Purdue can produce guys that will stick around after college to train.  It's a tall order.  The Regional Training Centers definitely provide an advantage.

12 hours ago, Disco said:

They may have a lot of wealthy alumni, but their football stadium is not filled every Saturday and I don't see alumni buying anything other than "generic" IU goods and services unless one of the athletes achieves wide name recognition.  Bobby Knight's squads got that back in the day because they were on television so often.  I can't think of any current IU football players that are recognizable.  Maybe one basketball player this year - and wrestlers would be REALLY tough.  I think they may be able to land a local tv commercial or something like that, but that's about it.