Article: Carroll and Mendez look to dominate at Who’s #1

Y2CJ41

Jesse Mendez is making his third straight trip to FloWrestling’s Who’s #1 and Christian Carroll is wrestling in his first event. Both are looking to build upon a strong spring and summer and win their respective matches.

Carroll has been nearly unbeatable since last fall when he won the Grappler Fall Classic and followed that up with a Super 32 belt. This spring he was runner-up in freestyle and Greco-roman to eventual world champion Braxton Amos. After that he dominated at Fargo and won a Junior title at 220lbs. Carroll is the first Indiana wrestler to win a Fargo Junior championship and a Super 32 championship.

The match for Carroll will be the main event and a big guy super match. He will face off with the top ranked heavyweight in the country, Nick Feldman. Both “heavyweights” weighed in under 230lbs, so this is closer to a light heavyweight match-up. Feldman has won Beast of the East and National Prep titles to go along with winning at Who’s #1 a year ago. He’s an Ohio State commit and will be a great match-up for Carroll. This will NOT be a boring big guy battle.

Jesse Mendez is making his third trip to Who’s #1 and looking to be the first competitor to four wins in the event. The past two years Mendez has had to wrestle multiple matches, but this year he only has one in Michigan’s Casey Swiderski. Mendez has had quite a busy off-season that has included a trip to Russia for Junior Worlds, recruiting visits, and even being the grand marshal of the Crown Point July 4th parade!

His opponent, Casey Swiderski will look to pull off a big time upset and is likely the only one crazy enough to voluntarily take a match with Mendez. Swiderski is an Iowa State commit and according to everyone in the know has a similar style to Mendez with great technique, high pace, and tenacious attitude. Like Mendez, Swiderski has won three state titles in Michigan for Dundee High School. He was also a Fargo runner-up to Tagen Jamison of Texas. Look for this to be another great match.

The schedule begins on Saturday with wrestling starting at 7pm ET/6pm CT. Mendez will be the 11th match, while Carroll will be the final bout, match #14. You can watch all the action with a loaded card of the top wrestlers in the country on FloWrestling.

View full article

Was impressed at the pace both Jesse and Casey had. But this match was not what it could have been because the refs mistake. The ref hit Jesse with 3 cautions but the main and assist ref both confirmed it was only 2. Casey asked 2 times that it was 3. So Jesse tries to get some riding time and rides on too for about 40 seconds and then the refs add a penalty point for something that happened at the start of the period. It should have been 4-4, Jesse stands him up and down 5-4 with the whole 3rd period to work. Really hope they run it back! 

Mendez ana Casey sound very similar in their work ethic, passion for the sport, and game plan.  Both of them should do great things with that attitude.  Much respect to Mendez I’m not sure he’s has ducked anything in his life.  Dude welcome all challenges and know he needs to sharpen his skills all the way to an Olympic run.  

Edited by MattM

The refs were not college refs, with I think only one that is an NCAA official. They weren't calling things like the drop down to a leg five count and such. I told a few people beforehand I hope they don't screw a kid and they did.

The ref dinged Jesse for two cautions on one action. That's regional level ref stuff there. He dinged him and let him continue to get on top without resetting both the athletes or telling Jesse what happened. 

Very poor call that shouldn't have been made if you had an experienced official on the mat. These officials had no business being on the mat at this event.

9 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

Mendez and Carroll were both giving up weight. Good for them for stepping up to the challenge and wrestling bigger really good kids. Lots of kids would not do that. 

Carroll and Feldman were within 10lbs of each other. That blood time hurt Carroll the most. Feldman was sucking lots of wind late in the second and needed that break 

That third period was officiated horribly.  I wonder what the explanation was to A Tsirtsis.  Too bad it had to come down to that.  I also thought Jesse could have built up some more riding time in the 1st instead of cutting him.  Match flow would have been much different.  Overall good high pace match tho

Mendez wrestled well, that out of bounds toss in the 3rd may have made him a bit more cautious as he was trying to be aggressive. Not sure how Jesse's injury affected his performance here. I would bet that Jesse picks up a few things from this match and if they were to wrestle again Jesse very well may beat him handily. That said, I'm sure he's not happy with the outcome.

Edited by Ahawkeye

On 9/20/2021 at 8:14 AM, smitty11 said:

That third period was officiated horribly.  I wonder what the explanation was to A Tsirtsis.  Too bad it had to come down to that.  I also thought Jesse could have built up some more riding time in the 1st instead of cutting him.  Match flow would have been much different.  Overall good high pace match tho

Funny that on FRL they spent about 10 minutes on the referees on Tuesday. Ironic that they HIRED the officials so they should have known what they were getting.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.