Folkstyle vs. Everyone else's style...Is the women's team telling us something?

XCard

So, maybe this has been brought up somewhere before or even get moved to the appropriate thread. I also know that we had an incredible year at the Olympics for both Men and Women. However, do we think that some of the women's rapid success in the sport is due to the fact that Freestyle is the choice at the Collegiate level? I have not done my own research on this, but are most State's that are sanctioning wrestling for women choosing Folkstyle or Freestyle? Just looking for everyone's thoughts and figured I have not posted anything in quite some time, need to get my new status going up! 

Here is a unique view, it's not the style it's the fact that we tend to burn kids out at a younger age. They wrestle 100's of matches a year when they are younger and thus leave the sport sooner than they should. On the women's side they tend to start later and there are limited number of women's events to attend so they aren't putting the grueling season on themselves like the younger boys are.

23 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Here is a unique view, it's not the style it's the fact that we tend to burn kids out at a younger age. They wrestle 100's of matches a year when they are younger and thus leave the sport sooner than they should. On the women's side they tend to start later and there are limited number of women's events to attend so they aren't putting the grueling season on themselves like the younger boys are.

Excellent point Joe.  To add to that; the Russians do no more than 7 competitions a year.  Because the women focus more on training they are more ready when competitions come.  I think to we’ve done a good job as a country of growing the sport of women’s wrestling and I believe the results reflect that.

19 hours ago, XCard said:

So, maybe this has been brought up somewhere before or even get moved to the appropriate thread. I also know that we had an incredible year at the Olympics for both Men and Women. However, do we think that some of the women's rapid success in the sport is due to the fact that Freestyle is the choice at the Collegiate level? I have not done my own research on this, but are most State's that are sanctioning wrestling for women choosing Folkstyle or Freestyle? Just looking for everyone's thoughts and figured I have not posted anything in quite some time, need to get my new status going up! 

I think the biggest difference it has made is in par terre. 

On 8/22/2021 at 9:12 PM, Y2CJ41 said:

Very very very good point! You see that same principal with Mason Parris playing multiple sports and not being burnt out going into college.. 

Also I think Folkstyle serves it's own purpose with developing the FS side with pinning combinations (at jr Worlds O'toole sticking the olympian in a cradle (the same guy Chamizo had a hard time with 3-1) 

There's should be no debating that training all Styles def helps you become better at each one individually... It's balancing work load and evolving all while having fun and not being over trained and burnt out.

Both points here are valid ones. The freestyle training and the reduced burnout from starting later both play a role IMHO. That said, girls wrestling is quickly headed toward more burnout. A very talented young lady on our team wrestles a half dozen preseason events, a full boys high school season and then post-season events. That's over 100 matches. Though she is being actively recruited for college, she's thinking that she'd prefer not to wrestle after HS. 

Sad, but I get it.

On 8/22/2021 at 9:38 PM, GenHeavyHandz said:

Excellent point Joe.  To add to that; the Russians do no more than 7 competitions a year.  Because the women focus more on training they are more ready when competitions come.  I think to we’ve done a good job as a country of growing the sport of women’s wrestling and I believe the results reflect that.

Quality over quantity! 

We keep saying this year after year, but do you think we will ever actually slow down? If someone can point to non-anecdotal evidence that we are heeding our own advice, please present. From where I am sitting, it seems that kids are wrestling (and/or playing baseball/softball, basketball, volleyball,...) more and more every year.

15 hours ago, Galagore said:

We keep saying this year after year, but do you think we will ever actually slow down? If someone can point to non-anecdotal evidence that we are heeding our own advice, please present. From where I am sitting, it seems that kids are wrestling (and/or playing baseball/softball, basketball, volleyball,...) more and more every year.

I don't see it slowing down, my buddies son is 10 and has already wrestled, 350+ plus matches this year, yes 350+ this year... Seen him Wrestle 25 times a weekend under 3 age divisions.. I don't necessarily agree with it, but the kid goes out of his way to tell his dad he wants more more more.. I've never seen anything like it, but I'm not his parent and help the kid when I can.

My son never placed at Folkstate….. until he started playing travel baseball and his wrestling season got cut in half. His best year was last year (year 7 for him) and it was the least amount he has ever wrestled. Maybe 20-25 (rough guess) matches from Thanksgiving to Folk state. 

I can only get my son to wrestle in his league for his grade school. I've entered him in tournaments (ISWA) and he has NOT enjoyed that at all. Too many matches in one day for him. I try to slowly build his fire and hope he takes off with it, after grade school I will try yo push wrestling but if he says no, it ain't happening!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.