USA GRECO-ROMAN

Congratulations thus far to the USA Women & Men Freestyle team's accomplishments. 

However YUCK for the overall USA GRECO-ROMAN performances. 

One win and 5 losses for a country that will bring home 100+ overall medals. 

We have too many resources to accept this kind of result every Olympic cycle. 

2020 OLYMPIC GAMES (Tokyo)

USA GRECO-ROMAN RESULTS:

👎🏽 Ildar Hafizov 60kg

L 0-5 vs. Orta Sanchez (Cuba)

L 1-7 vs. Sergey Emelin (ROC)

👎🏽 Alejandro Sanchez 67kg

L 4-10 vs. Artem Surkov (ROC)

👎🏽 John Stefanowicz 87kg

L 3-5 Ivan Huklek (Croatia)

👎🏽 G’Angelo Hancock 97kg

W 5-1 vs. Kajaia Mihail (Serbia)

L 3-4 Tadeusz Gangelo (Poland)

---------------------------------------------------

USA Wrestling - Greco-Roman Olympic Medals 

(1892 - 2016 Olympic Games)   

3 Gold 6 Silver 6 Bronze = 15 TOTAL

The USA had 4 medals at the 1984 Olympics games held in Los Angeles:

🥉 Jim Martinez

🥇 Steve Frasher

🥈 Greg Gibson

🥇 Jeff Blatnick 

However several STRONG GRECO-ROMAN countries did not participate. 

This would have greatly altered the outcomes in both GR and freestyle medal results. 

Listed are the 1984 Olympic boycotting teams:

Soviet Union

Bulgaria

East Germany

Mongolia 

Vietnam

Laos

Czechoslovakia 

Afghanistan 

Hungary 

Poland 

Cuba

North Korea

Ethiopia 

Angola

Albania

Iran

Libya

Edited by raven150

There’s a good chance the US will never be good at Greco. We put all the emphasis on folkstyle and freestyle, and you need to commit only to Greco at a young age to be in contention for world medals. And at this point, no kid is watching these Olympics and saying, all this leaning and hand fighting looks fine, let’s do Greco! 

Greco at the highest levels is painful to watch. The margin for error is razor thin add to that a limited set of moves that work in that style. At the youth, high school, and even UWW Junior level it can be fun to watch or at the very least bearable to watch.

The USA will never be good at Greco because of our lack of focus on it. You can't become good at the sport by only focusing on it after high school. 

On 8/5/2021 at 12:32 PM, Y2CJ41 said:

Greco at the highest levels is painful to watch. The margin for error is razor thin add to that a limited set of moves that work in that style. At the youth, high school, and even UWW Junior level it can be fun to watch or at the very least bearable to watch.

The USA will never be good at Greco because of our lack of focus on it. You can't become good at the sport by only focusing on it after high school. 

I'm with you.  I hate watching Greco-Roman.  I've tried.  Occasionally. I'll watch Match videos USA Wrestling posts to You Tube.  As soon as I see a match is Greco-Roman, I move on to the another.    Tried several matches during these Olympics and the Trials before.  

Just can't do it.   

I watched some greco to see what I was missing. I found I didn't care for it that much. After a while I was just fast forwarding to the forced par terre in each period. At first I couldn't put my finger on what was bothering me about it. Then I realized I fast forwarded to the forced par terre in each period. Meaning for the vast majority of the match at the highest level it is designed to have no action and no scoring for the majority of the match. All of the scoring/action occurs in two small bursts. And the scoring is based on a skill set that has no relation to the skills that would allow scoring in the upright portion. 

It is like watching a little league baseball game with major league pitchers where the winner is determined by a free throw shooting contest inserted in the middle.

I love the strategy involved for leverage moves. Slower pace but very mentally challenging. Agreed, it may never get the attention in this country, but it is probably the most popular form for the rest of the world. Believe it or not. 

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

Greco is wrestling at its purist form.

I don't know a lot about greco, but it doesn't seem that pure to me at the highest level.

Almost every match is two different things. It starts with two people leaning on each other for roughly a minute. Then they stop to have one guy lay down. They then repeat the process with a switch in who lays down.

The skill sets for greco wrestling on your feet and in par terre are very different to the point they seem to be two different sports. And >90% of scoring seems to happen in par terre. I understand that this is not the case for levels below the elite where throws become an important part of the scoring.

I am not trying to be snarky here, it is just what I as an outsider to the style noticed.

2 hours ago, wrestlenewbie said:

I don't know a lot about greco, but it doesn't seem that pure to me at the highest level.

Almost every match is two different things. It starts with two people leaning on each other for roughly a minute. Then they stop to have one guy lay down. They then repeat the process with a switch in who lays down.

The skill sets for greco wrestling on your feet and in par terre are very different to the point they seem to be two different sports. And >90% of scoring seems to happen in par terre. I understand that this is not the case for levels below the elite where throws become an important part of the scoring.

I am not trying to be snarky here, it is just what I as an outsider to the style noticed.

The point of Greco is not to entertain you.  You have problem with the rules.    We all do.  It’s a fact that Greco is wrestling in its purist form.  It’s the oldest practiced style .  Therefore it’s the purist:  no debating.

2 hours ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

The point of Greco is not to entertain you.  You have problem with the rules.    We all do.  It’s a fact that Greco is wrestling in its purist form.  It’s the oldest practiced style .  Therefore it’s the purist:  no debating.

Fine, I will use your "logic". Turns out it is not the oldest practiced style. Therefore, it is not the purist. According to the UWW it only dates back to 1848 when Jean Exbrayat established the rule that no holds below the waste were allowed.

Edited by wrestlenewbie

1 hour ago, wrestlenewbie said:

Fine, I will use your "logic". Turns out it is not the oldest practiced style. Therefore, it is not the purist. According to the UWW it only dates back to 1848 when Jean Exbrayat established the rule that no holds below the waste were allowed.

Greco Roman wrestling goes back over 2,000 years. So again you are wrong.  There are plenty of evidence that it is the oldest style and was practiced in some form since ancient times all over the world.  Just because you sanctioned something and gave it guidelines doesn’t mean it didn’t exist before then.  Just like Columbus didn’t discover America. It was already here.   So again you don’t like it: I get it.  It’s still the purist and oldest form of wrestling.  Freestyle and Folkstyle came much later.  Now if you want to Argue Senegalese wrestling is older: I’ll except it. But it is still Greco with strikes so it’s closer to what the ancient Greeks and Romans were doing 2,000 years ago.

4 minutes ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

Greco Roman wrestling goes back over 2,000 years. So again you are wrong.  There are plenty of evidence that it is the oldest style and was practiced in some form since ancient times all over the world.  Just because you sanctioned something and gave it guidelines doesn’t mean it didn’t exist before then.  Just like Columbus didn’t discover America. It was already here.   So again you don’t like it: I get it.  It’s still the purist and oldest form of wrestling.  Freestyle and Folkstyle came much later.  Now if you want to Argue Senegalese wrestling is older: I’ll except it. But it is still Greco with strikes so it’s closer to what the ancient Greeks and Romans were doing 2,000 years ago.

Hmm. I can accept the UWW's word or yours? Its tempting, but I think I will stick with the UWW's version.

2 minutes ago, wrestlenewbie said:

Hmm. I can accept the UWW's word or yours? Its tempting, but I think I will stick with the UWW's version.

Good thing I don’t rely on you for validation and I’ll stick to what I went to college for: History and wrestling.1902348659_Screenshot2021-08-25at9_59_46PM.thumb.png.7d3b5262caa919d670f0b1a12c0db431.png

3 minutes ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

Good thing I don’t rely on you for validation and I’ll stick to what I went to college for: History and wrestling.1902348659_Screenshot2021-08-25at9_59_46PM.thumb.png.7d3b5262caa919d670f0b1a12c0db431.png

Consider going back to school and taking some critical reading courses. You just posted a Wikipedia page that says exactly what I said.

36 minutes ago, wrestlenewbie said:

Consider going back to school and taking some critical reading courses. You just posted a Wikipedia page that says exactly what I said.

You aren’t skilled enough a troll to get me with passive aggressive insults.  I’ll agree to disagree.  Enjoy your summer.