Olympic Wrestling

Anyone know the best way to watch the Olympic wrestling?

The only info I have found is that it will be on NBC's Olympic channel. The way I understand it this means having a cable subscription that includes this channel.

Does anyone know anything?

10 hours ago, SIACfan said:

Anyone know the best way to watch the Olympic wrestling?

The only info I have found is that it will be on NBC's Olympic channel. The way I understand it this means having a cable subscription that includes this channel.

Does anyone know anything?

Hulu Live has it.  I recommend a free week trial.   It's listed on Hulu's site as Hulu + Live TV.  It will give you local channels as well.  Add DVR service to record in case you can't catch everything live.  

Thanks SWINfan

YouTube Live TV also has the Olympic channel & a free 7 day trial. I was just wondering if there was some other way of watching the wrestling other than the Olympic channel.

I would be willing to pay a fee for the ease of watching whatever Olympic event I wanted on demand - wrestling specifically. This would work for many events by subscribing to the Peacock Channel, but unfortunately wrestling will not be available on Peacock. Wrestling is apparently only going to be on the Olympic Channel. Which can only be viewed by having a cable or streaming subscription.

I just read an article last night saying that wrestling is getting full coverage on the main Olympic Channel (there are a few of them for the game) and on the USA.  https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2021/July/09/NBC-Olympic-wrestling-coverage-on-The-Olympic-Channel  So hopefully that means they will be showing most of the event without cutting away much to other sports.  With YouTube TV it asked me what Olympic events I preferred and then added them to my record library so hopefully anything miss live will be waiting in my library.  

I know in previous Olympics I was able to watch a lot of events through NBC’s online feeds. It had every event live and on replay.  I’m not sure if a similar set up is available for free or on a trial based for this year.  

Edited by MattM

5 hours ago, SIACfan said:

Thanks SWINfan

YouTube Live TV also has the Olympic channel & a free 7 day trial. I was just wondering if there was some other way of watching the wrestling other than the Olympic channel.

I would be willing to pay a fee for the ease of watching whatever Olympic event I wanted on demand - wrestling specifically. This would work for many events by subscribing to the Peacock Channel, but unfortunately wrestling will not be available on Peacock. Wrestling is apparently only going to be on the Olympic Channel. Which can only be viewed by having a cable or streaming subscription.

Fortunately, wrestling should fit neatly into a 7 day trial of either.  But my understanding as as yours, is that The Olympic Channel will be the only available coverage

7 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Here is the media guide from USAW with dates and some other great info

https://content.themat.com/2020-OlympicMediaGuide.pdf

Good stuff in here. Includes training partners, support staff, coaches, etc., including good profiles on all wrestlers.   I saw this last night and just started reading it today.  Not much of a Greco guy, but found it interesting enough to read through it.  Haven't gotten to FS yet.  

Tough go of it for Kayla Miracle this morning. Against a Chinese girl who previously beat her narrowly, she was chosen seemingly randomly as the mandatory shot clock early in the match and gives up a point. She then trades 2 for 2 as the only scoring the rest of the way, the Chinese girl never gets her second passivity, and it ends 3-2. The Chinese girl then loses in the quarters and Kayla's Olympics is over.

Draws are out for tomorrow for Micic, Gilman, Taylor, and Maroulis (what a star-studded day!)

Taylor gets a great draw with the Russian and Yazdani both on the other side.

Micic and Gilman draw two of the gold favorites, Takahashi of Japan and Uguev of Russia. Sort of a bad news with a positive wrinkle situation in a 16-man bracket. You can definitely lose straight out of the gate, but you then only need one win to wrestle for bronze if you get brought back in by the stud you had to face first.

Maybe I'm naive to certain nuances of the Olympic rulebook, but putting Kayla on the shot clock seemed completely arbitrary and wholly unnecessary. She had literally spent the minute beforehand grinding out and securing a tough takedown. That's the opposite of passivity in my estimation.

Maybe, I'm not understanding some special rule here . . . because I was also surprised to learn that if you fail a throw attempt and end up on bottom (essentially taking yourself down), you get stood back up. The other opponent doesn't get two points for a takedown. Weird.

Just when I think I understand scoring in freestyle, these matches have confounded me.  Apparently it's not only me though, as others have uttered the same questions.  I don't know how many times I have seen a takedown with obvious back exposure only scored 2 points.  Are there nuances I am missing?    And I know I am not alone in my dislike of the passivity clock.  I'd be okay with it if there were any consistency at all.  But there isn't and it ends up being guesswork.

A few results from yesterday...

Stevan Micic looked lackluster and lost 7-0 to Japanese wrestler, who then lost his next match, ending Stevan's Olympics.

David Taylor dominated Shabanu of Belarus and Myles Amine, wrestling for San Marino.  He's in the semifinal this morning.

Thomas Gilman lost a heartbreaker to the Russian Uguev on a takedown in the final seconds, 5-4.  Gilman wrestled close to the perfect match and led 4-3 against the favorite.  Uguev did the same in the Quarterfinal, winning in the last 10 seconds, after being down 6-4 and looking gassed.  The late TD gave him the criteria win and kept Gilman alive for gold.

Helen Maroulis won handily, 8-0 to advance to this morning's semifinal. 

David Taylor advances to the Final with a 10-0 1st Period pasting of Deepak Punia of India.  He'll faze Yazdani for Gold.  Helen Maroulis lost her semifinal and will wrestle for bronze. 

Tonight there's a ton of wrestling.....

Gilman in repechage shortly after 9 pm (central).  Myles Amine also in repechage and will be around the same time.
Kyle Dake and Gable Steveson up around 10:00.  Dake is estimated at 9:51.  Quarterfinal matches to follow.

EDIT: Maroulis was in the semis so she advances to the Bronze Medal match at approx 6:55 am Thursday morning (Central)

All can seen live on The Olympic Channel or the NBC Sports app and nbcolympics.com

Edited by SWINfan

26 minutes ago, Ahawkeye said:

What happened to Sarah Hildebrandt? I was hoping she's do well.

She starts Thursday night.

9 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Just when I think I understand scoring in freestyle, these matches have confounded me.  Apparently it's not only me though, as others have uttered the same questions.  I don't know how many times I have seen a takedown with obvious back exposure only scored 2 points.  Are there nuances I am missing?

Do you have examples? Some can be semi-easily explained....others not so much.

9 hours ago, SWINfan said:

And I know I am not alone in my dislike of the passivity clock.  I'd be okay with it if there were any consistency at all.  But there isn't and it ends up being guesswork.

Passivity is a mystery. The only thing I know is, it is not based on a typical American thinking of "most" shots. It has been notoriously inconsistent during the games.

11 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Just when I think I understand scoring in freestyle, these matches have confounded me.  Apparently it's not only me though, as others have uttered the same questions.  I don't know how many times I have seen a takedown with obvious back exposure only scored 2 points.  Are there nuances I am missing?    And I know I am not alone in my dislike of the passivity clock.  I'd be okay with it if there were any consistency at all.  But there isn't and it ends up being guesswork.

A few results from yesterday...

Stevan Micic looked lackluster and lost 7-0 to Japanese wrestler, who then lost his next match, ending Stevan's Olympics.

David Taylor dominated Shabanu of Belarus and Myles Amine, wrestling for San Marino.  He's in the semifinal this morning.

Thomas Gilman lost a heartbreaker to the Russian Uguev on a takedown in the final seconds, 5-4.  Gilman wrestled close to the perfect match and led 4-3 against the favorite.  Uguev did the same in the Quarterfinal, winning in the last 10 seconds, after being down 6-4 and looking gassed.  The late TD gave him the criteria win and kept Gilman alive for gold.

Helen Maroulis won handily, 8-0 to advance to this morning's semifinal. 

Micic did not look good.  Smith eluded to the weight cut, which has to be tough for Micic.  He looked noticeably skinnier and didn't seem to have much energy.  Then they banged heads and Micic seemed to get the worst of it.  After that it was all down hill.

Damn, Steveson was impressive!  He had an easy 10-0 win in about 2 minutes over Lazarev of Krgystan in round 1.  Next was Turkey's Akgul, the Olympic Gold Medalist in Rio and 2x World Champion.  Steveson handled him with ease, 8-0.  On to the semifinal tomorrow morning at approx 4:45 central time.  

Kyle Dake got a solid 4-0 win in round 1 over an iranian with a really long name.  Then, Dake got whipped in the Quarterfinal, 11-0 by a Belarus wrestler with an equally long name  Dake will have to hope he wins his semifinal against Frank Chamizo to be drawn into repechage and hope for a bronze.  Dake didn't look his normal self tonight.

Jacarra Winchester at 53kg lost her 2nd round match to Pang of China 6-2 and will have to hope to get back into bronze contention.

1 hour ago, Ahawkeye said:

What is  repechage and how does it work?

The international consolation bracket. If the guy you lose to makes the finals you are inserted into the bracket for one of the two third place medals.

The main reason for UWW giving out two bronze medals is to "spread the wealth" and have more countries earn medals and thus look good for the Olympic big wigs.

1 hour ago, Y2CJ41 said:

The international consolation bracket. If the guy you lose to makes the finals you are inserted into the bracket for one of the two third place medals.

The main reason for UWW giving out two bronze medals is to "spread the wealth" and have more countries earn medals and thus look good for the Olympic big wigs.

So these are pull through wrestlbacks,  which shows that wrestlebacks are an important part of the sport.   Which thus gives me an idea.   We all know the wrestling community has been trying to influence the IHSAA board to implement wrestlebacks,  I say we design a proposal to insert wrestleback into the IHSAA tournament, but not use the term wrestleback.   Instead well use the more exotic international  word "repechage".    It will sound cool, and the board will be influenced by our purity and dedication to the Olympic sport and maybe influenced.   You got to know how to influence people sometimes, and it comes down to the words you use.