Fargo Updates

TeamGarcia

57 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

Been watching cadet worlds this morning. So different from Fargo. Refs just blow the whistle constantly at worlds. Never realized how big the difference was. Not sure how that effects our kids. Just an observation.

Do you think our officials here should be more involved like international refs to prepare the guys?

32 minutes ago, FWwrestling1996 said:

Do you think our officials here should be more involved like international refs to prepare the guys?

Not sure... I guess the biggest difference is the time which is allowed in par terre is a lot more in the USA. You get way less time internationally to make a turn. I personally like the product that we have here in the USA. With that said, I think we should conform to the rest of the world for development reasons. 

But... USA is pretty damn good right now. 

24 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

Not sure... I guess the biggest difference is the time which is allowed in par terre is a lot more in the USA. You get way less time internationally to make a turn. I personally like the product that we have here in the USA. With that said, I think we should conform to the rest of the world for development reasons. 

This is the best USA has looked on all levels as collective whole that I've ever seen...Our depth is coming along as well..

4 hours ago, Mattyb said:

I would like to bring up another big difference that I noticed after watch the two events in the past 24 hours. 

Internationally.. those dudes worry less about ties and more about footwork, down blocking (blocking in general), staying in front and not giving up anything til they are ready to get an angle and score.

Footwork is the biggest difference. You have to earn every point. Thus less points scored too. 

4 hours ago, Mattyb said:

I would like to bring up another big difference that I noticed after watch the two events in the past 24 hours. 

Internationally.. those dudes worry less about ties and more about footwork, down blocking (blocking in general), staying in front and not giving up anything til they are ready to get an angle and score.

Footwork is the biggest difference. You have to earn every point. Thus less points scored too. 

You're exactly right about more common seeing wrestlers Creating offense in space big time Like JB is so great at... he'll get you reacting and reaching with his shot fakes and runs through ppl when he does actually run through guys.. Using their attempt to tie up against them, when they tap he goes..

He knows they don't reach if they aren't certain he'll be there to take part in the tie.. Level changes and bypasses their head/hands D they were fooled into abandoning.. Too many ppl reach with lead back hand instead of their bk hand*.. I try breaking that habit with my guys when i see them checking their stance with the wrong hand.. The more FS gains traction here in the states, the more our athletes will also get better at attacking and defending in space...

Bo Bassett is a kid I've seen that is just as good in space as he is from the tie, and he's so technical being so young.. Don't get me wrong there's plenty of guys that are technically sound, but that kid seems to be even more advanced in every aspect than almost anybody I've seen..

Him being the youngest American  ever medalist at cadet world's speaks to that with him only being 14... His gas tank and relentless pressure reminds me of a prime Lincoln McIlravey, he weaponizes his cardio and breaks world class kids.. It's not like it's never been done boy to see it at that level so young, is incredible..

Evenwhen he does get scored on, it seems to make him even better immediately, that's a good problem to have...most of us wish our guys attacked more, so him actually having to learn situational awareness in real time is very telling.. He wrestles to win every second mitigating the All too often "wrestle not lose" mode we all have at one point out another been in..

He's so use to attacking and never letting up that when he ends up in a bad position, it doesn't bother him too dramatically.. He's use to those scenarios because he's constantly creating them.. His demeanor never changes, doesn't let his emotions dictate his wrestling, he thinks his way through the adversity and imposes his will..

Everything that's legit comes from always moving your feet, feinting and creating angles with your constant movent.. too often we see kids slow themselves down by tying up and not properly setting shots up from the tie because they're not moving their opponent or their own feet enough... That's why many times when a wrestler makes a jump to MMA, his style of Wrestling doesn't coorelate well, if all their offense comes from the tie..

You will get your face crushed trying to hook and post anybody with skill😂 and if you can't set up takedowns in space you'll get hurt badly...But the same time guys like RBY and yianni who's scrambling abilities coorelate so beautifully to MMA and they both are elite when it comes to getting takedowns in space..

Being able to disguise entries on TDs becomes even more crucial but you have even more ways to set takedowns up with the threat of punches,kicks and subs and not just grappling..

Add in head movement and proper footwork and when done right, can create even better MMA wrestlers than they were in straight wrestling..I out wrestled much more credentialed wrestlers in MMA than I ever did in straight wrestling..I was a solid wrestler nothing great, but I usually always got the better of the wrestling exchanges when that was my career...

That doesn't mean Greco guys don't translate well to MMA because The clinch aspect favors them in a huge way..Mark O Madsen aka 6x world and Olympic medalist is 2-0 in the UFC and 11-0 total... His Body locks and throws equate to brutal slams... He's about to fight the Legend Clay guida who is a stud wrestler in his own right.. I'll quit blabbering but your post got me thinking about the whole footwork aapect and different subtle nuances that play a huge part in not only wrestling but combat Sports in general... sorry for the soapbox speech y'all.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170
Coach brobst is the man

17 minutes ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

You're exactly right about more common seeing wrestlers Creating offense in space big time Like JB is so great at... he'll get you reacting and reaching with his shot fakes and runs through ppl when he does actually run through guys.. Using their attempt to tie up against them, when they tap he goes.. He knows they don't reach if they aren't certain he'll be there to take part in the tie.. Level changes and bypasses their head/hands D they were fooled into abandoning.. Too many ppl reach with their back hand instead of their lead.. I try breaking that habit with my guys when i see them checking their stance with the wrong hand.. The more FS gains traction here in the states, the more our athletes will also get better at attacking and defending in space...

I read all of what you had to say but I’m stuck on just one point, mostly because I’m always trying to gain knowledge to help my athletes and bend and change as the sport does so don’t take what I’m saying as you being wrong: we all know there are so many different styles and paths to success, so consider this professional curiosity. 

In the above quoted paragraph you mention you try to break the habit of reaching with the trail hand. I preach close gap with head contact first and if you have to tie up high, use the trail hand so your attack hand stays free, plus if you reach with lead leg hand from space, you leave your lead leg defenseless to a wrestler who will shoot from space or likes low level attacks.

Just curious as the the benefits of reaching with the lead arm in your opinion, I try not to force kids into a mold as styles vary so much, so wanted to see if there’s another thing I need to open my mind about.

Always enjoy reading what you have to say!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.