Wisconsin wrestler stripped of title 2 years later

Y2CJ41

Crazy story of a kid that was given 2 unsportsmanlikes and kicked out of the next event aka regional. Then got it overturned by a judge and went on to win state. Another judge said NOPE and his title has been revoked.

https://journaltimes.com/news/local/wrestler-has-wiaa-state-title-vacated-28-months-after-winning-it/article_7de3bf04-a3f3-53b7-b79f-b26bbb166d4e.html

36 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Crazy story of a kid that was given 2 unsportsmanlikes and kicked out of the next event aka regional. Then got it overturned by a judge and went on to win state. Another judge said NOPE and his title has been revoked.

https://journaltimes.com/news/local/wrestler-has-wiaa-state-title-vacated-28-months-after-winning-it/article_7de3bf04-a3f3-53b7-b79f-b26bbb166d4e.html

Sure is fishy for a second judge to reverse the decision. After two years, it’s more them covering the association than it is having the best outcome for the kid. 

I can't read the story I guess I need a subscription, if a "judge" told me 2 years after I had won any tournament not to mention a state tournament that I really hadn't won it, I think I'd just laugh and say "OK". 

Again I can't read the story and we don't REALLY know the whole story but it's more about the experience than the medal or trophy.

This is crazy, I wonder if the "runner up" will now consider himself the Champ? The 3rd placer the runner up? I don't want to sound like a old timer, whipper snapper griping  but what has the world come to  when Feelings Trumping facts, Years later we have judges revoking state titles and in FS they award a winner after a tied match, Men in women's sports and worst of all, The Spartan bowl   can't get wifi to report The Spartan Classic... Crazy times we are living in.

I remember this story from when it happened.  Kid apparently mouthed off and got dinged for unsportsmanlike, then flexed to the other team after he won.  Got dinged a second time and was DQ'd.  Family fought it and it was overturned.  Now a second judge reversed the decision.  Not sure how I feel about it, but I think I'm leaning towards siding with the second judge.  Unsportsmanlike is a judgement call.  If the decision to reinstate the kid was upheld, then to me, it opens a can of worms for others that think they were "wrongly" DQ'd for something.  Bottom line, don't mouth off to the ref or flex to the other teams bench and you won't have to worry about being DQ'd.  I would also not apply this same logic to those that celebrate when winning a state title.

1 hour ago, ReformedPoster said:

I remember this story from when it happened.  Kid apparently mouthed off and got dinged for unsportsmanlike, then flexed to the other team after he won.  Got dinged a second time and was DQ'd.  Family fought it and it was overturned.  Now a second judge reversed the decision.  Not sure how I feel about it, but I think I'm leaning towards siding with the second judge.  Unsportsmanlike is a judgement call.  If the decision to reinstate the kid was upheld, then to me, it opens a can of worms for others that think they were "wrongly" DQ'd for something.  Bottom line, don't mouth off to the ref or flex to the other teams bench and you won't have to worry about being DQ'd.  I would also not apply this same logic to those that celebrate when winning a state title.

Couldn't agree more...if he broke the rules he shouldn't have been wrestling anyway. Best outcome for the kid is to understand poor actions/decisions have consequences...life lesson.

After looking at the tape I'm not sure exactly what happened, was green running his mouth and get an unsportsmanlike? then does a half hearted flex and gets hit again? I've seen, and I'm pretty sure we all have seen WAY worse happen and nothing called at all! He may have deserved an unsportsmanlike for running his mouth but I'm not seeing much of anything that would warrant another for the flex. 

I like for the guys on the mat to be respectful but I see nothing wrong with a little celebration as long as it's not disrespectful to your opponent. I did not see disrespect on this but maybe I missed it???  

To reformedposter's point, the 112 final this year between PM and Belmont was more than chippy and I don't think any calls were made to stop any of it. I was not in indy for this years finals but it looked like there was some post match antics or jaw jacking going on during the medal presentation. No one stopped that either.

From what I see, this kid made one mistake but the flex, I don't see a misconduct on that one but again I wasn't there and I don't know every detail, or what lead up to it. If he would have kept his mouth shut and not flexed he wouldn't be in this situation today.

17 hours ago, Ahawkeye said:

After looking at the tape I'm not sure exactly what happened, was green running his mouth and get an unsportsmanlike? then does a half hearted flex and gets hit again? I've seen, and I'm pretty sure we all have seen WAY worse happen and nothing called at all! He may have deserved an unsportsmanlike for running his mouth but I'm not seeing much of anything that would warrant another for the flex. 

I like for the guys on the mat to be respectful but I see nothing wrong with a little celebration as long as it's not disrespectful to your opponent. I did not see disrespect on this but maybe I missed it???  

To reformedposter's point, the 112 final this year between PM and Belmont was more than chippy and I don't think any calls were made to stop any of it. I was not in indy for this years finals but it looked like there was some post match antics or jaw jacking going on during the medal presentation. No one stopped that either.

From what I see, this kid made one mistake but the flex, I don't see a misconduct on that one but again I wasn't there and I don't know every detail, or what lead up to it. If he would have kept his mouth shut and not flexed he wouldn't be in this situation today.

It's a judgement call.  The ref was right there and judged it to be unsportsmanlike.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.