Nicknames for these schools

Y2CJ41

2 hours ago, gsmith58 said:

There is something about a lot of these nicknames. There seems to be a lot more history and local industry tied to those names.

23 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

There is something about a lot of these nicknames. There seems to be a lot more history and local industry tied to those names.

That darn list had the Springfield Cardinals and the Whitewater Elkhorns. Mr. Elkins did some serious research because those are some old, old schools. 

On 5/19/2021 at 9:13 PM, Jcjcjc said:

seems like no

Chester Center Indians

Jasonville YellowJackets

Franklin Township (Wanamaker, Marion County) Flashes

Franklin Township (Lanesville, Harrison County) No nickname available

Franklin Township (Ridgeville, Randolph County) No Nickname available

Morgantown Trojans

Terre Haute Wiley Red Streaks

• 7 months later...
On 5/28/2021 at 9:20 PM, Y2CJ41 said:

Butler, Indiana is where they produced the windmills that powered the water pumps on many Indiana farms. When I was a boy my parents used to take us on drives in the country to look at the windmills.

On 5/19/2021 at 9:56 AM, BLF Snow Cone said:

Bedford Stonecutters

Brazil Red Devils

Dyer Central Indians

Earl Park Cardinals

ECR Roughriders

ECW Senators

East Gary Edison is just today’s Lake Station Edison Eagles. East Gary was the name of the city of Lake Station from 1908-1977

Fort Wayne Central Tigers

Gary Andrean is just current day Andrean 59ers (always located in Merrillville, but part of the Gary Diocese)

Edison Blazers

Emerson Tornados

Froebel Blue Devils

Horace Mann Horsemen

Tolleston Raiders

Wirt Troopers

Monticello Tioga Indians

Muncie North Titans

Petroleum Panthers

Pine Village Pine Knots

Roanoke Stonewalls

Russellville Bees

SB Central Bears

SB Jackson Tigers

SB Lasalle Lions

Garfield Purple Eagles

Gerstmeyer Black Cats

Schlute Golden Bears

Stinesville Quary Lads

Wiley Red Streaks

Waldron Mohawks

Wingate Spartans

I could be wrong , but wasn't Lew Wallace the Hornets. Sorry if I'm repeating, I just remember my uncle wrestling under coach Pemental(sp)

3 hours ago, tyquhp13 said:

I could be wrong , but wasn't Lew Wallace the Hornets. Sorry if I'm repeating, I just remember my uncle wrestling under coach Pemental(sp)

Yes, Hornets. They are in the process of demolishing the Wallace building. Been sitting empty and vandalized since 2014.

On 1/16/2022 at 11:22 AM, Steve Smith said:

Butler, Indiana is where they produced the windmills that powered the water pumps on many Indiana farms. When I was a boy my parents used to take us on drives in the country to look at the windmills.

Lol, back in the 40’s? Also being from Allen county, I know entertainment gets very simple in Butler indiana. Lol

On 5/19/2021 at 9:25 AM, Y2CJ41 said:

Does anyone know the nicknames for these former schools that are either closed/consolidated or do not support wrestling any more?

Chester Center
Franklin Township
Jasonville
Morgantown
Terre Haute Wiley

Just realized all had been answered.

Edited by MOBUCoach

Chester Center “Indians” (Wells County)
Franklin Township “Flashes” (Marion County) *There were two other schools by the same name in Randolph and Harrison Counties but we don’t have mascots on record for either
Jasonville “Yellow Jackets” (Greene County)
Morgantown “Trojans” (Morgan County)
Terre Haute Wiley “Red Streaks” (Vigo County)

• Y2CJ41 locked this topic