Best of MD 2003 vs 2021

Jayruss

Most refer to the 2003 MD team the best team in Indiana wrestling history, but 2021 MD broke the state record for team points. (2003 listed first followed by ‘21). I considered taking out a weight class so that they align better, but if someone could make it more equitable and possibly list each ones placement that could help this hypothetical a lot!

103/106 Brian Bittner vs Evan Seng

112/113- Bryan Williams vs Reed Egli

119/120- John Hillenbrand vs Cole Ross

125/126- Craig Macke vs Jacob Pierre

130/132-Matt Coughlin vs Alec Freeman 🔥 

135/138- Aaron scott vs Blake Boarman

140/145 -Joe Lehman vs Ashton Hayhurst

145/152- Craig Weinzapfel vs. Scott Fitts

152/160- Nathan Weinzapfel  vs Brody Baumann 

160/170- Dustin Nosko vs Blake Weidner 

171/182 Sam Wildeman vs Gabe Sollars 

189/195- Blake Mauer vs Clay Martin

215/220- Thomas Unfried vs Nick Boots

275/285-Chad Schwartz vs James Ralph

106 Bittner vs Seng - Seng dec   0-3

113 Williams vs Egli - Williams dec  3-3

120 Hillenbrand vs Ross - Ross maj 3-7

126 Macke vs Pierre - Macke pin 9-7

132 Coughlin vs Freeman - great match up.  Teacher beats the student 12-7

138 Scott vs Boarman - Boarman dec 12-10

145 Lehman vs Hayhurst - hayhurst dec  12-13

152 Weinzapfel vs Fitts - Weinz maj 16-13

160 Nosko vs Baumann - Another great one.  Total toss up.  give me Baumann 16-16

170 Wildeman vs Weidner - Wildeman pin 22-16

182 Maurer vs Sollars - Maurer dec 25-16 

195 J Coughlin here vs Martin - Coughlin dec 31-16

220 Unfried vs Boots - Unfried dec 34-16

285 Schwartz vs Ralph - Ralph dec 34-19

did some bumping to make the lineups work.  I think '03 is a pretty strong favorite.  Don't forget that if they kept the team score in '03, they would smashed the record and it would still stand today.

1 hour ago, ReformedPoster said:

106 Bittner vs Seng - Seng dec   0-3

113 Williams vs Egli - Williams dec  3-3

120 Hillenbrand vs Ross - Ross maj 3-7

126 Macke vs Pierre - Macke pin 9-7

132 Coughlin vs Freeman - great match up.  Teacher beats the student 12-7

138 Scott vs Boarman - Boarman dec 12-10

145 Lehman vs Hayhurst - hayhurst dec  12-13

152 Weinzapfel vs Fitts - Weinz maj 16-13

160 Nosko vs Baumann - Another great one.  Total toss up.  give me Baumann 16-16

170 Wildeman vs Weidner - Wildeman pin 22-16

182 Maurer vs Sollars - Maurer dec 25-16 

195 J Coughlin here vs Martin - Coughlin dec 31-16

220 Unfried vs Boots - Unfried dec 34-16

285 Schwartz vs Ralph - Ralph dec 34-19

did some bumping to make the lineups work.  I think '03 is a pretty strong favorite.  Don't forget that if they kept the team score in '03, they would smashed the record and it would still stand today.

Didnt realize that!

Hayhurst vs Lehman would be money too..Nosko was ice cold and his mat IQ was top notch..Baumman is a monster and would put a pace on him..Milius was a specimen and a takedown machine into until he ran into Noskos chin Whip! So many great match ups and I'm telling you Aaron Scott and Boarman is another sleeper that goes either way.. Seeing then both a ton, i like that match up with Boarman in a tight one.

3 hours ago, WrestleMan said:

Nosko vs. Baumann would be wild for sure. I'll take Baumann though with a late lat drop to secure the win. And I'll take Maurer over Sollars by 3. 

I don't see Nosko getting tossed, he was very savvy every where but Baumann is a physical yet technical stud at the same time and I think his strength would be the difference paired with his speed..Nosko could hit big moves every where and time and time again did stuff to show he was never out of a match... Almost like Bill nye science guy that would tech you while smiling being respectful yet dominant lol

12 minutes ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Hayhurst vs Lehman would be money too..Nosko was ice cold and his mat IQ was top notch..Baumman is a monster and would put a pace on him..Milius was a specimen and a takedown machine into until he ran into Noskos chin Whip! So many great match ups and I'm telling you Aaron Scott and Boarman is another sleeper that goes either way.. Seeing then both a ton, i like that match up with Boarman in a tight one.

I'm not sure Nosko could handle the pace that Baumann would bring.  Baumann wins by 5 points or so.  I think Boarman wins comfortably vs Scott.  For comparison's sake, Alex Tsirtsis completely mauled Scott by tech fall in the semis in '03.  Boarman wrestled a comparable (probably an even better) opponent in the semi's this year and while the outcome wasn't in doubt, he made mendez work for it.  I just don't think Scott was near the same level that Boarman is.  Boarman wins comfortably, possibly even by major.

On 5/12/2021 at 5:39 PM, ReformedPoster said:

I'm not sure Nosko could handle the pace that Baumann would bring.  Baumann wins by 5 points or so.  I think Boarman wins comfortably vs Scott.  For comparison's sake, Alex Tsirtsis completely mauled Scott by tech fall in the semis in '03.  Boarman wrestled a comparable (probably an even better) opponent in the semi's this year and while the outcome wasn't in doubt, he made mendez work for it.  I just don't think Scott was near the same level that Boarman is.  Boarman wins comfortably, possibly even by major.

Very well good be right I just know regardless the wrestler EMD kids rise to the occasion most of the time..I think Baumann wins as well but not with ease in the slightest..Boarman a stud just don't see him majoring scott.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

3 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Scott was underrated, stud.

On 5/12/2021 at 4:23 PM, FCFIGHTER170 said:

I don't see Nosko getting tossed, he was very savvy every where but Baumann is a physical yet technical stud at the same time and I think his strength would be the difference paired with his speed..Nosko could hit big moves every where and time and time again did stuff to show he was never out of a match... Almost like Bill nye science guy that would tech you while smiling being respectful yet dominant lol

The late lat drop for the win was a joke in reference to his win this year. I wasn't actually suggesting Baumann would toss him. I'm sure it would be a very entertaining match. 

On 5/11/2021 at 7:22 AM, Jayruss said:

Most refer to the 2003 MD team the best team in Indiana wrestling history, but 2021 MD broke the state record for team points. (2003 listed first followed by ‘21). I considered taking out a weight class so that they align better, but if someone could make it more equitable and possibly list each ones placement that could help this hypothetical a lot!

103/106 Brian Bittner vs Evan Seng

112/113- Bryan Williams vs Reed Egli

119/120- John Hillenbrand vs Cole Ross

125/126- Craig Macke vs Jacob Pierre

130/132-Matt Coughlin vs Alec Freeman 🔥 

135/138- Aaron scott vs Blake Boarman

140/145 -Joe Lehman vs Ashton Hayhurst

145/152- Craig Weinzapfel vs. Scott Fitts

152/160- Nathan Weinzapfel  vs Brody Baumann 

160/170- Dustin Nosko vs Blake Weidner 

171/182 Sam Wildeman vs Gabe Sollars 

189/195- Blake Mauer vs Clay Martin

215/220- Thomas Unfried vs Nick Boots

275/285-Chad Schwartz vs James Ralph

Nosko was 152 

On 5/13/2021 at 1:39 AM, ReformedPoster said:

Woah Woah, apply the brakes, Nosko also had 8 state freestyle championships and 2 nationals.  What does Boarman have??  All these guys in a hurry to give Nosko the loss should've been there when he was he just playing with guys for years.  

1 hour ago, 90s wrestler said:

Woah Woah, apply the brakes, Nosko also had 8 state freestyle championships and 2 nationals.  What does Boarman have??  All these guys in a hurry to give Nosko the loss should've been there when he was he just playing with guys for years.  

Very high Wrestling IQ as well... Him and Macke both.

2 hours ago, 90s wrestler said:

Baumann, not Boarman.  Nosko was really, really good.  Saw him wrestle from the time he was little.  He could certainly win this hypothetical match up.  Recency bias may be at play here, but Baumann seems like he has the better gas tank and I think that would be the difference.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.