Best Non D1 College Team

Y21AB

What do you think Indiana's best line up would be of our top non d1 guys in the past would look like. Here are my picks.

125 Alan Grammer

133 Andy Uhl

141 Brandon Wright

149 Nick Walpole

157 Charlie Pingleton

165 Ben Hoover

174 Micheal Jackson

184 Matt Hurford

197 Riley Lefever

285 Jeff Pease

Edited by Y21AB

1 hour ago, Coach Humble said:

Please excuse my bias but I would put Sawyer Miller at 125. NAIA National Champ, three time All American wrestled at INDIANA Tech

1986 126 NCAA DI 5th for SIU-Edwardsville
1986 126 NCAA DII 1st for SIU-Edwardsville
1985 134 NCAA DI 3rd for SIU-Edwardsville
1985 134 NCAA DII 1st for SIU-Edwardsville
1984 134 NCAA DII 3rd for SIU-Edwardsville

Id say Grammer had a better college career. 

sawyer was great but Grammer was a 2 time d2 champ and a d1 AA.

36 minutes ago, Y21AB said:

1986 126 NCAA DI 5th for SIU-Edwardsville
1986 126 NCAA DII 1st for SIU-Edwardsville
1985 134 NCAA DI 3rd for SIU-Edwardsville
1985 134 NCAA DII 1st for SIU-Edwardsville
1984 134 NCAA DII 3rd for SIU-Edwardsville

Id say Grammer had a better college career. 

sawyer was great but Grammer was a 2 time d2 champ and a d1 AA.

Does that disqualify him since he was D1?

just a thought!

58 minutes ago, Coach Brobst said:

Does that disqualify him since he was D1?

just a thought!

I debated that myself but he attended a d2 school though and qualified for D1 nationals by winning d2s. If you exclude him then there a few guys up for debate. Hayden Lee, Sawyer Miller, Josh Kieffer and probably a few others I'm forgetting off of the top of my head.

54 minutes ago, Y21AB said:

I debated that myself but he attended a d2 school though and qualified for D1 nationals by winning d2s. If you exclude him then there a few guys up for debate. Hayden Lee, Sawyer Miller, Josh Kieffer and probably a few others I'm forgetting off of the top of my head.

I don't think you can exclude him for that.  He was a DII wrestler that qualified (different from today) and placed in the DI Tournament after his final DII Tourney, which he won.  Don't count the DI 5th Place finish and he still had two DII Titles, which is a higher level than NAIA.  Grammar is the right call, IMO

3 hours ago, Coach Humble said:

In spite of different opinions, we must all be proud of our Indiana guys who gained opportunities to wrestle outside of D1 and find great success. Thanks for researching and bringing this to the forefront 

You're invited to join the College Forum for such discussion.  There is an annual thread for posting results of all IN kids wrestling at all levels.  Sure the DI guys get the most attention, but there has been plenty of results and articles posted and discussion of guys wrestling in DII, DIII and NAIA.  It's not as busy as the HS Forum, but all are welcome and contributions/results are encouraged as well.

1 hour ago, SWINfan said:

You're invited to join the College Forum for such discussion.  There is an annual thread for posting results of all IN kids wrestling at all levels.  Sure the DI guys get the most attention, but there has been plenty of results and articles posted and discussion of guys wrestling in DII, DIII and NAIA.  It's not as busy as the HS Forum, but all are welcome and contributions/results are encouraged as well.

I second that.  That boards grown a lot in the last few years, but it could always use more contributors.  

On 4/26/2021 at 1:32 PM, blorek said:

On 4/26/2021 at 12:53 PM, CoachLionheart said:

Didn't Grammer beat John Smith?  I was thinking that was true.

Also a little known fact is that Alan Grammer was the only wrestler in John Smith's college career to beat Smith twice.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.