Nick Lee OTT

Been listening to a few podcasts lately and a few comments about Nick Lee from Vincenzo Joseph and Jordan Oliver stood out to me.  Both talked about how tough it was to wrestle Nick and that he is much stronger than you think he is.  Oliver said despite teching him at the US Open, he came away impressed and adjusted how he wrestled him this year at the OTT.  He referenced how Nick shut down most of his attacks until he was  fortunate enough to score on a double and get a leg lace.  At the OTT, he abandoned his single leg (his best move) and focused on doubles and keeping Nick from tying him up.  His analysis of their match and JO's other matches was excellent.  

Cenzo echoed the reference about Nick's strength and how his pace and strength combined can tire out an opponent.  

Here is a video from You Tube highlighting Nick's scoring during the OTT.  He had seven 4 point moves in the tournament.  If you missed his matches against Zain and Yianni, here is a little taste.  Taking Zain to his back to make it 8-4 was just nasty!  I know I heard/saw at least 2 people comment that if there could be an OWW who finished 3rd, Nick should win it hands down

Nick Lee OTT Highlights

Edited by SWINfan

Nick had such an outstanding run through B1G's, Nationals & the OTT's.

Taking 2nd to Eierman at B1G's then beating him at Nationals then beating Garret, Retherford & Diakomihalis with his only loss in the trials to the Champion Oliver.

I signed up for the 7 day trial of Peacock & got to see all of it. Big thanks to Y2 for that tip.

Peacock still has the full mat replays up. The commentators were excellent. In the Garrett match he observes that Lee puts so much pressure on his opponent that they wind up shooting more often than they want to. After the Diakomihalis match the commentator was the first to comment that if they gave an OW for third it would be Nick Lee.

On 4/11/2021 at 7:46 AM, SIACfan said:

Nick had such an outstanding run through B1G's, Nationals & the OTT's.

Taking 2nd to Eierman at B1G's then beating him at Nationals then beating Garret, Retherford & Diakomihalis with his only loss in the trials to the Champion Oliver.

I signed up for the 7 day trial of Peacock & got to see all of it. Big thanks to Y2 for that tip.

3 hours ago, wrestlenewbie said:

Peacock still has the full mat replays up. The commentators were excellent. In the Garrett match he observes that Lee puts so much pressure on his opponent that they wind up shooting more often than they want to. After the Diakomihalis match the commentator was the first to comment that if they gave an OW for third it would be Nick Lee.

Do you know what mats his last 3 matches were on?

2 hours ago, maligned said:

Do you know what mats his last 3 matches were on?

vs. Garrett on mat 3 at about the 15:54 minute mark.

vs. Retherford on mat 2 at about the 1:30:32 minute mark.

vs. Diakomihalis on mat 4 at about the 2:46:12 minute mark.

Not that I watched all that closely.

27 minutes ago, wrestlenewbie said:

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Jayruss said:

What does he have to do to reach Indiana’s GOAT status ?

I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as others around here about the accomplishments of Indiana Wrestlers, but...

Winning an Olympic &/or World medal at some point in the future would go a long way. Would it not?

8 hours ago, Jayruss said:

What does he have to do to reach Indiana’s GOAT status ?

Yeah, he's got some work to do to be the overall GOAT still.

Howe had 3 HS titles with only one HS loss, then had a college title, four NCAA top 3s, and was arguably 3rd or 4th best US freestyler for several years with lots of big international wins despite being behind Burroughs at his apex. 

Angel had 4 state titles, an NCAA title and other high NCAA finishes plus a world 5th place. 

If Nick wins another college crown and gets a world or olympic medal, he'll be in the conversation for overall GOAT. Olympic gold in 2024 would put him over the top for me for sure.

17 hours ago, wrestlenewbie said:

I dont get why some people were insisting Lee was pinned against Garrett. Even with touch falls, he clearly had all but one shoulder far off the mat in a static position in full view for the on-mat official and one side official.

1 hour ago, SIACfan said:

I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as others around here about the accomplishments of Indiana Wrestlers, but...

Winning an Olympic &/or World medal at some point in the future would go a long way. Would it not?

NCAA-wise Charles McDaniel has two titles along with a runner-up finish. This was just a few years ago in the late 1930's.

Richard Voliva was an Olympic silver medalist and NCAA champion

There are a lot of others you can view in our history area

https://indianamat.com/index.php?/history/history.html/

21 minutes ago, maligned said:

I dont get why some people were insisting Lee was pinned against Garrett. Even with touch falls, he clearly had all but one shoulder far off the mat in a static position in full view for the on-mat official and one side official.

Agreed. The commentator also analyzed that position well. He pointed out that Garrett would need to get his arm out of the way while still maintaining control. As long as that arm was wrapped around the shoulder a pin was not even possible. 

As for why some people were insisting, its because there are always some people like that.

I had a random thought today, let's say Jordan Oliver qualifies the weight for the Olympics but gets hurt and can't compete. Would Nick get a chance to wrestle off McKenna for the spot? Because this was a weight that no one sat out from the challenge tournament, they didn't do a true 2nd, but if they had Nick would have gotten a chance to wrestle McKenna for true 2nd(I also think they should've done true 2nd anyway because the difference in pay for their monthly stipend for being 2nd on the National Team instead of 3rd is different but that's a different story).

There's almost zero chance of this situation happening, but just a random thought I was curious about.

11 hours ago, TheNextDynasty said:

I had a random thought today, let's say Jordan Oliver qualifies the weight for the Olympics but gets hurt and can't compete. Would Nick get a chance to wrestle off McKenna for the spot? Because this was a weight that no one sat out from the challenge tournament, they didn't do a true 2nd, but if they had Nick would have gotten a chance to wrestle McKenna for true 2nd(I also think they should've done true 2nd anyway because the difference in pay for their monthly stipend for being 2nd on the National Team instead of 3rd is different but that's a different story).

There's almost zero chance of this situation happening, but just a random thought I was curious about.

I can't say I know what the official rules are but...

Considering the official results are Oliver 1st, McKenna 2nd, & Lee 3rd then I'm going with no. Plus if they were going to do it, it would have been done at the trials not after the 1st place finisher becomes unable to compete.

Just my opinion, but I have to think the placements are what they are.

15 hours ago, TheNextDynasty said:

It seemed very strange to me that 74 and 97 had true second place matches and the other four weights did not.

I was texting with someone at the trials that day and they all seemed sure there would be true second. The Track brackets had it for 74 and 97, but not the others, so it seems like this was decided ahead of time, but no one I have spoken to seems to know why.

2 hours ago, wrestlenewbie said:

It seemed very strange to me that 74 and 97 had true second place matches and the other four weights did not.

I was texting with someone at the trials that day and they all seemed sure there would be true second. The Track brackets had it for 74 and 97, but not the others, so it seems like this was decided ahead of time, but no one I have spoken to seems to know why.

I didn't look into it but it maybe based on that weights had automatic bids to the final series and which spots were were decided just through the challenge tournaments. That would factor in what avenues were available to work out the official top 3 finishers.

10 minutes ago, MattM said:

I didn't look into it but it maybe based on that weights had automatic bids to the final series and which spots were were decided just through the challenge tournaments. That would factor in what avenues were available to work out the official top 3 finishers.

That has to be it. Burroughs at 74 and Snyder at 97. So really it was true third, but second got decided too as a matter of course.

On 4/10/2021 at 11:54 PM, SWINfan said:

Been listening to a few podcasts lately and a few comments about Nick Lee from Vincenzo Joseph and Jordan Oliver stood out to me.  Both talked about how tough it was to wrestle Nick and that he is much stronger than you think he is.  Oliver said despite teching him at the US Open, he came away impressed and adjusted how he wrestled him this year at the OTT.  He referenced how Nick shut down most of his attacks until he was  fortunate enough to score on a double and get a leg lace.  At the OTT, he abandoned his single leg (his best move) and focused on doubles and keeping Nick from tying him up.  His analysis of their match and JO's other matches was excellent.  

Cenzo echoed the reference about Nick's strength and how his pace and strength combined can tire out an opponent.  

The Baschamania episode with JO is an amazing listen if you're into the nitty gritty of these high level matches. He gets very technical with his breakdowns of everything that happened at OTTs at 65kg. He talks for quite a while about both of his recent matches with Nick and his general feelings about his ability.

Here's the spotify link. Go to episode 110 at Baschamania.com for a link to the apple podcasts version if you prefer.

15 minutes ago, maligned said:

The Baschamania episode with JO is an amazing listen if you're into the nitty gritty of these high level matches. He gets very technical with his breakdowns of everything that happened at OTTs at 65kg. He talks for quite a while about both of his recent matches with Nick and his general feelings about his ability.

Here's the spotify link. Go to episode 110 at Baschamania.com for a link to the apple podcasts version if you prefer.

I agree, I thought it was awesome with a ton of detail, not only on his matches with Nick, but all of his OTT matches and his relationship with Yianni and how difficult that match was. 

Edited by SWINfan

• 3 months later...
On 4/12/2021 at 2:53 PM, wrestlenewbie said:

Thanks again for this.  I had some extra time on my hands and went back and watched all three matches again.  

If you or someone else could watch the Yianni match again and explain to me the scoring in the first :35 of the 2nd period,  I'd appreciate it.  I'm still a little cloudy on FS scoring at times, but that action happened so fast I was lost.  Watched it twice in a row and am still lost. Lee was up 8-0 and then it was 13-4 after the flurry

On 7/23/2021 at 2:08 PM, SWINfan said:

Thanks again for this.  I had some extra time on my hands and went back and watched all three matches again.  

If you or someone else could watch the Yianni match again and explain to me the scoring in the first :35 of the 2nd period,  I'd appreciate it.  I'm still a little cloudy on FS scoring at times, but that action happened so fast I was lost.  Watched it twice in a row and am still lost. Lee was up 8-0 and then it was 13-4 after the flurry

I am only so so on FS scoring myself, but here goes my attempt.

When NL gets in on YD's legs, YD chest wraps him and throws NL over for 2. Then as NL rolls  he traps YD's left arm and exposes him for 2 of his own. 10-2.

Next NL comes to his knees and throws YD over his shoulder for 2, but YD rolls through and exposes NL for 2 of his own. Because the action was continuous they did not stop the match after NL's 2 even though he was up 10 at that point. 12-4

Finally, NL reverses YD to come out on top for 1. 13-4

19 hours ago, wrestlenewbie said:

When NL gets in on YD's legs, YD chest wraps him and throws NL over for 2. Then as NL rolls  he traps YD's left arm and exposes him for 2 of his own. 10-2.

It seems most of the time when I see the chest wrap move, the wrestler doing so is awarded 4 points, which I guess is what threw me for the whole sequence.  Thanks for the info!