Olympic Trials Brackets

Indiana's other Men's FS representative, Mason Parris also finished 3rd.  Mason lost to Penn State's Daniel Kerkvliet on criteria in the Quarters, then rattled off wins over Tanner Hall, Dom Bradley and Tony Nelson to finish 3rd.  Gable Steveson and Nick Gwiazdowski will meet in the final tonight.  

1 hour ago, SWINfan said:

Well he lost to Oliver 8-3,  Then had excellent showing nonetheless.  Nick beat McKee in the 1st round then beat Nashon Garrett (12-2),  Retherford  (10-4) and Yianni D (16-8)  back-to-back-to-back to finish 3rd. 

Not a bad weekend!

Yeah, who could have guessed he'd beat Yianni and Zain and not even be top 2? Crazy how that weight shook out. Oliver's power is just a bit too much for Lee.

One more thought: I think McKenna is physical enough to bang with Oliver and has the drive and gas tank to outlast him in a best of 3. But I actually think Lee would beat McKenna now seeing Nick's progression overall. It's a shame the way the bracket played out or he might be our rep.

Edited by maligned

2 hours ago, maligned said:

Yeah, who could have guessed he'd beat Yianni and Zain and not even be top 2? Crazy how that weight shook out. Oliver's power is just a bit too much for Lee.

I think Nick would like to have that one back.  You're right Oliver is very physical and does a lot of shoving to keep his opponent from getting to ties.  After seeing how physical the match was between Nick and Zain and how he was able to avoid/fend off moves from Yianni that typically score, I think Nick can compete.  It may just take an adjustment.  Even so, JO is a tough foe and until Nick does break though will be the favorite every time they meet.   

Nick definitely went through the grinder the past two days.  He finished with a healthy shiner on his left eye.  His match with Zain was brutal as the pace in just the hand fighting was about as strong as I've seen.  In his post-Yianni match interview, he was asked about the match with Zain, being that they are training partners.  He basically said Zain is like a brother to him and there was no pleasure in that match.  

2 hours ago, maligned said:

I think Nick would like to have that one back.  You're right Oliver is very physical and does a lot of shoving to keep his opponent from getting to ties.  After seeing how physical the match was between Nick and Zain and how he was able to avoid/fend off moves from Yianni that typically score, I think Nick can compete.  It may just take an adjustment.  Even so, JO is a tough foe and until Nick does break though will be the favorite every time they meet.   

Nick definitely went through the grinder the past two days.  He finished with a healthy shiner on his left eye.  His match with Zain was brutal as the pace in just the hand fighting was about as strong as I've seen.  In his post-Yianni match interview, he was asked about the match with Zain, being that they are training partners.  He basically said Zain is like a brother to him and there was no pleasure in that match.