Olympic Trials Brackets

Are you sure that's how they're setting up the 74 and 97kg brackets for freestyle? The #1 seeds have it better than the guys with byes to the semi's. Dake faces the 2 or the 3 while Nolf gets the 4 or the 5? Is it not like this at 74, for example?

#1 (essentially 2 vs 7)

#6/#7

#2 (essentially 3 vs 6)

#3 (essentially 4 vs 5)

Dake (the real #1)

8 hours ago, maligned said:

I see the posts on TheMat forums now explaining that those are the procedures. Organizers screwed up if that's how it ends up. They didn't think it through at all.

I agree completely, I think they should look more like this with Dake and Cox with the pseudo 1 seed and everyone else falling in there.

74-updated.png

97updated.png

1 hour ago, Y2CJ41 said:

I agree completely, I think they should look more like this with Dake and Cox with the pseudo 1 seed and everyone else falling in there.

74-updated.png

97updated.png

Right..everyone assumed this, didnt they? Hopefully cooler heads prevail and they realize their bracket procedures were accidentally misconstructed

Can someone break this down for me..

The winner of these brackets either win an Olympic spot or earn a best of three series with someone to win an Olympic spot?

Will they do a wrestle back or does the second place finisher be the alternate? 

Has anyone seen the schedule for Friday and what styles will wrestle win?  Any kind of schedule?

Also, I love Nick Lee's path....  
McKee
Oliver
Yianni
Retherford x2
Qualify weight in Bulgaria

Piece of cake!

23 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Has anyone seen the schedule for Friday and what styles will wrestle win?  Any kind of schedule?

Seems they'll mix the three all throughout all sessions based on past tournaments and the schedule Y2 posted

On 3/31/2021 at 7:32 PM, SWINfan said:

Also, I love Nick Lee's path....  
McKee
Oliver
Yianni
Retherford x2
Qualify weight in Bulgaria

Piece of cake!

Match numbers now posted on brackets. Nick Lee #14 first round and #58 second round. Alara Boyd first round bye and #88 in second round. Parris bye and #108 second round.

Well the semi’s coverage isn’t the greatest.  Was hoping for at least a split screen or at least bouncing between mats to catch some of the action.  NBC must be hoping everyone wants to buy their Peacock network to get more mat coverage though.  

Edited by MattM

Obviously Snyder is not listed in this tourney. But legitimately asking, can Gable give Snyder a run for his money? Or is Snyder still the odds on favorite? I would assume Snyder is the favorite in that match. But just legitimately curious. 

53 minutes ago, SunDevils said:

Obviously Snyder is not listed in this tourney. But legitimately asking, can Gable give Snyder a run for his money? Or is Snyder still the odds on favorite? I would assume Snyder is the favorite in that match. But just legitimately curious. 

Snyder has a bye and will face Kollin Moore in best 2 of 3 at 97kg.  Same for Burroughs and Dake at 74kg. 

2 hours ago, SunDevils said:

Gable is a heavyweight of course with Snyder at 97kg (214lbs).

Snyder was at heavyweight at the end in college because he could win there without diminishing his physique for international competitions at 97kg he was still doing during the college season.

Gable gets Gwiz in the best of 3 finals tonight. I'd favor Gable there and I'd be tempted to favor Gable against a bumped up Snyder too. He's ascended to another planet right now.

Edited by maligned

The way they do the mat assignments is nuts.  Bouncing between the different styles makes it hard to watch one seamlessly.  Hate it!

That said, does anyone know who is calling the matches on Mat 4 currently (Sat)?   His voice is familiar but I can't place it?

1 minute ago, SWINfan said:

The way they do the mat assignments is nuts.  Bouncing between the different styles makes it hard to watch one seamlessly.  Hate it!

That said, does anyone know who is calling the matches on Mat 4 currently (Sat)?   His voice is familiar but I can't place it?

You can anticipate when your guy is coming by clicking on "mat assignments" in the "hub" menu on Track.

Just now, maligned said:

You can anticipate when your guy is coming by clicking on "mat assignments" in the "hub" menu on Track.

I do that, but especially when on a phone, it's a pain in the ass to always be changing mats.  If they would keep each style on a mat it would be much easier for those that just want to follow FS, for example.  Bouncing from TW to Peacock and from mat to mat is a pain

Just now, maligned said:

I do that, but especially when on a phone, it's a pain in the ass to always be changing mats.  If they would keep each style on a mat it would be much easier for those that just want to follow FS, for example.  Bouncing from TW to Peacock and from mat to mat is a pain

3 hours ago, SunDevils said:

Snyder has a bye and will face Kollin Moore in best 2 of 3 at 97kg.  Same for Burroughs and Dake at 74kg. 

On 3/31/2021 at 7:54 PM, maligned said:

Yeesh

Well he lost to Oliver 8-3,  Then had excellent showing nonetheless.  Nick beat McKee in the 1st round then beat Nashon Garrett (12-2),  Retherford  (10-4) and Yianni D (16-8)  back-to-back-to-back to finish 3rd. 

Not a bad weekend!

Edited by SWINfan