Filius-141

Parriott-149

Coleman-157

Nijenhuis-165

Lyon-184

At large bid:

Penola-197

1 hour ago, maligned said:

The other Indiana natives: Drew Hildebrandt, Chad Red, Nick Lee, Brayton Lee, Joe Lee, Jake Tucker (Lowell, IN, native), Drew Hughes, Lucas Davison, Mason Parris

Nick Lee and Mason Parris land the #2 seed.  Does that make it almost automatic that Chad Red will get the #7?  

The rest of the field will be announced starting in 5 minutes 

Edited by SWINfan

19 minutes ago, Ch1StyleZ84 said:

Red ended up as the 8 seed

Red has to feel a little hard done by. His only three loses are to the 1 and 3 seeds. With no non-conference wrestling this year he had no chance to increase his win percentage by beating up on other conferences. I understand why he is the 8 seed, but he is not the eighth best in that weight.

36 minutes ago, wrestlenewbie said:

Red has to feel a little hard done by. His only three loses are to the 1 and 3 seeds. With no non-conference wrestling this year he had no chance to increase his win percentage by beating up on other conferences. I understand why he is the 8 seed, but he is not the eighth best in that weight.

Yeah I kinda thought he would land at the 6 or 7 seed at least, he is definitely top 5 at 141. This has definitely been a tougher year for seeding with only conference wrestling and none of the bigger tourneys like Midlands and Scuffle.

38 minutes ago, wrestlenewbie said:

Yeah, seems wrong that he pinned Wilson in 33 seconds last year, Wilson wrestles nobody this year and comes in undefeated, Red loses to #1 and #3 and smashes everyone else--and Wilson is seeded 4 spots higher. 

I know in normal years they seed with a really strict head to head point system that includes a bunch of factors. If they used any version of that this year, it probably had some holes in the seeds it yielded because of such limited results. 

Hildebrandt with the 4 seed. Was hoping to see him get the 2 or 3.

Red got screwed on getting the 8 seed. However, I can see him beating Eierman. It's hard to beat someone three times in a season.

N. Lee got the expected 2 seed. I'd rather see him go through Tariq than Rivera again. 

B. Lee with a tough draw. He'll face Jacori Teemer in the 2nd round then will have David Carr in the quarterfinals. 

Joe Lee has Travis Whitllake first match. 

DJ Washinton has a good draw and should win his first two to face #1 Seed Kemerer.

Mason Parris should have Matt Stencil in the semi's. I hope Colton Schultz upsets Stevenson... doubtful. Can Mason keep it close in the rematch?

4 minutes ago, navy80 said:

Yeah, coaches' panel had him 2nd, but seeding procedures pushed him back a couple spots.

11 hours ago, navy80 said:

Red got screwed on getting the 8 seed. However, I can see him beating Eierman. It's hard to beat someone three times in a season.

N. Lee got the expected 2 seed. I'd rather see him go through Tariq than Rivera again. 

B. Lee with a tough draw. He'll face Jacori Teemer in the 2nd round then will have David Carr in the quarterfinals. 

Joe Lee has Travis Whitllake first match. 

DJ Washinton has a good draw and should win his first two to face #1 Seed Kemerer.

Mason Parris should have Matt Stencil in the semi's. I hope Colton Schultz upsets Stevenson... doubtful. Can Mason keep it close in the rematch?

I give Red a puncher's chance of beating Eierman, but that's it.  His match with him at Big 10's wasn't close, Eierman dominated him.  I have a hard time seeing Red turning that around in a rematch.

1 hour ago, ReformedPoster said:

I give Red a puncher's chance of beating Eierman, but that's it.  His match with him at Big 10's wasn't close, Eierman dominated him.  I have a hard time seeing Red turning that around in a rematch.

I have watched Eierman in 3 matches now, and I don't recall him taking a single shot.  Everything is a counter....I can see a few guys changing up their strategy to get him off his game.

34 minutes ago, Indysportsfan said:

I have watched Eierman in 3 matches now, and I don't recall him taking a single shot.  Everything is a counter....I can see a few guys changing up their strategy to get him off his game.

Even if Red doesn't take a shot, he has shown he can't get out from bottom in two matches against Eierman.  He should obviously take neutral when he gets choice, but if he can't finish clean on eierman he isn't beating him.  Same for Nick Lee.  He got two TD's against Eierman, but did give one up on a counter and got ridden hard.  If Nick can't get off bottom then Eierman is your national champ this year.  I do like Lee's chances on their feet more so then Red's based on Lee's freestyle win over Eierman where he destroyed him on their feet and got 2 TD's in the big ten final.  Red got a nice first TD in their first meeting but wasn't able to do anything the rest of that match or in the Big 10 semi.

Most of the former IN high school alum didn’t get much help in the brackets.   Hopefully they can snag a first round win to get thing rolling.  And even if they hit a brick wall after that, the consols is the place where we typically see who want to really grind out a run and out preform their seed. 

Edited by MattM

1 hour ago, MattM said:

Most of the former IN high school alum didn’t get much help in the brackets.   Hopefully they can snag a first round win to get thing rolling.  And even if they hit a brick wall after that each year the consols is the place where we typically see who want to really grind out a run and out preform their seed. 

Man that backside is brutal. 

I found the below information about the at-large and seeding criteria for this year. In the past, especially with seeding, it's been really black and white. Each guy had a head-to-head comparison against each other guy where a certain number of points for each of a list of criteria were assigned. The guy who wins the most head-to-head comparisons is seeded highest. It's a really rigorous process, so seeds always seem logical, even if a guy here or there seems misplaced slightly.

But the description below for this year obviously leaves a lot up to interpretation and bias. It's no fault of the NCAA or the seeding committee. They were left with an impossible task with how limited the season was. In trying to figure out why Red dropped from #5 in the Coaches' panel to a #8 and Hildebrandt dropped from #2 to #4, I'm guessing "quality wins" doomed Hildebrandt and conference tourney placement and win percentage hurt Red.

Also, in Red's case, if you're looking at historical performance, #5 Demas was 4th in 2019 and #4 Wilson 3rd in 2018. If you weight those results at all to push them above Red, it explains some things because that could have lumped all the Big 12 guys above Red since #6 Hart split with Demas this year and #7 Parker had a win over Hart. Also, #4 Wilson had 6 "quality wins," only one less than Red, and his best two wins were over the #10 seed. Red had 7 "quality wins" but none seeded higher than #14. For me, though, the head-to-heads from last year (Demas over Red and Red over Wilson) should have mattered. And if past placement mattered enough to push Wilson and Demas up the board, how is Red behind Hart and Parker when they've never AA'd? I guess we'll never know.

828054619_ScreenShot2021-03-11at3_11_43PM.thumb.png.86a3865847be4af7ae48a1c71555c620.png

3 hours ago, maligned said:

I found the below information about the at-large and seeding criteria for this year. In the past, especially with seeding, it's been really black and white. Each guy had a head-to-head comparison against each other guy where a certain number of points for each of a list of criteria were assigned. The guy who wins the most head-to-head comparisons is seeded highest. It's a really rigorous process, so seeds always seem logical, even if a guy here or there seems misplaced slightly.

But the description below for this year obviously leaves a lot up to interpretation and bias. It's no fault of the NCAA or the seeding committee. They were left with an impossible task with how limited the season was. In trying to figure out why Red dropped from #5 in the Coaches' panel to a #8 and Hildebrandt dropped from #2 to #4, I'm guessing "quality wins" doomed Hildebrandt and conference tourney placement and win percentage hurt Red.

Also, in Red's case, if you're looking at historical performance, #5 Demas was 4th in 2019 and #4 Wilson 3rd in 2018. If you weight those results at all to push them above Red, it explains some things because that could have lumped all the Big 12 guys above Red since #6 Hart split with Demas this year and #7 Parker had a win over Hart. Also, #4 Wilson had 6 "quality wins," only one less than Red, and his best two wins were over the #10 seed. Red had 7 "quality wins" but none seeded higher than #14. For me, though, the head-to-heads from last year (Demas over Red and Red over Wilson) should have mattered. And if past placement mattered enough to push Wilson and Demas up the board, how is Red behind Hart and Parker when they've never AA'd? I guess we'll never know.

828054619_ScreenShot2021-03-11at3_11_43PM.thumb.png.86a3865847be4af7ae48a1c71555c620.png

I don't think there is any doubt that they leaned heavily on the asterisk this year (subjective criteria). If you went purely by the matrix used in the past (minus RPI) you would have Eierman #1, Wilson #2, Demas #3, Lee #4 and Rivera #5, Parker #6 a d Red #7 per guys like Wrestling Nomad, who actually does the math.

So while they didn't do Red any favors, they certainly help Eierman by moving both Lee and Rivera to the other side of the bracket.

Edited by wrestlenewbie

12 hours ago, wrestlenewbie said:

I don't think there is any doubt that they leaned heavily on the asterisk this year (subjective criteria). If you went purely by the matrix used in the past (minus RPI) you would have Eierman #1, Wilson #2, Demas #3, Lee #4 and Rivera #5, Parker #6 a d Red #7 per guys like Wrestling Nomad, who actually does the math.

So while they didn't do Red any favors, they certainly help Eierman by moving both Lee and Rivera to the other side of the bracket.

I don’t think Eierman will survive to get to Lee. 
Also, Rivera won’t get to Lee. 
Lee gets to the Championship match. From looking at the brackets. 

2 hours ago, Disco said:

I don’t think Eierman will survive to get to Lee. 
Also, Rivera won’t get to Lee. 
Lee gets to the Championship match. From looking at the brackets. 

That is interesting. J. Ross from wrestlestat is putting out results predictions based on their algo and he agrees with you. He has Lee against Demas in the finals. He has Demas upsetting Wilson in the quarters and Eierman in the semis. On the other side he has Hart upsetting Rivera in the quarters. Based on Hart's performance in the MAC championships, that may be a bridge too far.

13 minutes ago, wrestlenewbie said:

That is interesting. J. Ross from wrestlestat is putting out results predictions based on their algo and he agrees with you. He has Lee against Demas in the finals. He has Demas upsetting Wilson in the quarters and Eierman in the semis. On the other side he has Hart upsetting Rivera in the quarters. Based on Hart's performance in the MAC championships, that may be a bridge too far.

I’ve been to several of these events and believe me, it seems like there is one wrestler who has stayed out of the mainstream limelight, who has an agenda when he gets there, and performs way over what experts tell him he should. I don’t expect this year to be any different.  

Anybody have any suggestions on the best way to watch?

I see now that it will be covered by ESPN. Early rounds are on a combination of ESPNU & ESPN2 with the Finals on ESPN. But unfortunately, we will only be able to see what ESPN decides to show in the early rounds.

Is there anyway to watch some other way where you can choose what Mat/matches you want?

1 hour ago, SIACfan said:

Anybody have any suggestions on the best way to watch?

I see now that it will be covered by ESPN. Early rounds are on a combination of ESPNU & ESPN2 with the Finals on ESPN. But unfortunately, we will only be able to see what ESPN decides to show in the early rounds.

Is there anyway to watch some other way where you can choose what Mat/matches you want?

Streaming on ESPN3. If you have ESPN in your cable package then you get ESPN3 included.

Here is the Thursday schedule, for example:

https://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/_/type/upcoming/channel/3e99c57a-516c-385d-9c22-2e40aebc7129/startDate/20210318