Big Ten championship thread

1 hour ago, Disco said:

Eireman took Lee to the wood shed. Man. 

I wouldn’t say that. He didn’t react quick enough on the restart while down and Eierman got his leg in. After that, Eierman went on defense and got hit with his 2nd stall. A few extra seconds and it would’ve been another. 

11 hours ago, Disco said:

Eireman took Lee to the wood shed. Man. 

A 6-5 score is taking him to the wood shed?

Eierman's ability to ride was the difference. Lee had 2 TD's to Eierman's one. I for one am extremely interested in seeing the rematch at Nationals.

11 hours ago, 1prouddad said:

I wouldn’t say that. He didn’t react quick enough on the restart while down and Eierman got his leg in. After that, Eierman went on defense and got hit with his 2nd stall. A few extra seconds and it would’ve been another. 

34 minutes ago, SIACfan said:

A 6-5 score is taking him to the wood shed?

Eierman's ability to ride was the difference. Lee had 2 TD's to Eierman's one. I for one am extremely interested in seeing the rematch at Nationals.

I saw a different match than you guys, with my unbiased eyes. The score was a lot closer than the action on the mat.  The Iowa man needed no more points to secure a victory, thus the stalling game at the end ,and really that had nothing to do with the outcome.We shall see what the next few weeks bring, you may be right, Carl may have a special surprise for Eierman, next time him and Lee meet. You have a lot more optimism for a different outcome the next time, if or when they meet. I hope you are right. I’m rooting for all the Indiana Boys like you are.  

7 minutes ago, Disco said:

I saw a different match than you guys, with my unbiased eyes. The score was a lot closer than the action on the mat.  The Iowa man needed no more points to secure a victory, thus the stalling game at the end ,and really that had nothing to do with the outcome.We shall see what the next few weeks bring, you may be right, Carl may have a special surprise for Eierman, next time him and Lee meet. You have a lot more optimism for a different outcome the next time, if or when they meet. I hope you are right. I’m rooting for all the Indiana Boys like you are.  

I'm not saying Eierman didn't deserve the victory &/or that he won't be able to repeat it. But IMO he clearly didn't 'take him to the wood shed'.

In Folkstyle, the ability to ride & not be ridden is huge. And Eierman is clearly the better mat wrestler. Thus it is no coincidence that he has won their 2 folkstyle matches but lost their last freestyle matchup. My point is it was not like he turned Lee or even seriously threatened to turn him. That is why I think it is erroneous to claim 'he took him to the wood shed'.

Eierman's lone takedown came on a counter of one of Lee's attacks. Even the announcers recognized that Lee new he didn't want to be in that position & was trying to get out of it but it was too late. If Lee can avoid a mistake like that & keep from going under Eierman than the outcome might be different next time.

Snatch singles, go behinds & slide-bys are the kinds of attacks Lee needs to stick to. What Lee & pretty much anyone wants to avoid against Eierman is getting caught under him on a leg attack. Eierman is masterful at letting you in & cutting the corner. It was pretty obvious Lee understands this & simply made a mistake & it cost him.

I for one am really looking forward to their rematch at Nationals. IMO, It will be must watch TV for a wrestling fan.

3 hours ago, Disco said:

Pretty sure Lee had more or equal takedowns, he only got ridden. And it was with the bull crap double boots in. I think that should be stalling, he looked to get a turn, but he wouldn’t have been able to. Lee beats him if he doesn’t end up underneath. Nothing close to a woodshed. 

If anyone’s game plan for Eireman really is about get out from bottom then you are probably going to get enough done to win the match.  Finding a way, as hard as it is, to get in more than one clean takedown that he can’t turn into his own points is going to give you the better chance.  Sure it’s a lot of patience, fakes, and finding that perfect angles but it about the only way.  He likely getting away from you on bottom when take down or if it’s his choice and you are likely giving up riding time to him if you are ever down.  If you end up with get one escape that’s a bonus the less time you can be on bottom the better. I’d rather waste a lot of neutral clock and find the one spot a period to get a takedown he scramble into his own points.  So I think the game really comes down to the two period you can be start neutral and make sure you can get in one takedown in each.  Low scoring and low action affair, but it seems better then being grounded out on the mat with little ability to move. 

Edited by MattM

Some props for Chad Red this year. His only two loses to guys who either are or were ranked #1. In years past he had mediocre to poor regular seasons and then performed to his abilities in the tournaments (some want to view this is turning it up, I view it as getting to expectations). This year there was no need rally from a poor season. I think this will be his best NCAA tourney yet.

10 hours ago, Disco said:

I can tell, if I’m wrong about the next match, if it happens. I’m going to be run out of town. 

Of course we can all have our own opinions, but I think you find yourself in the small minority calling this match a "taking to the woodshed" type of event.  For the record, I think that statement is 100% wrong.  As you can see, for you to imply Mr. Nick Lee was 'beat down' in a wrestling match with a 6-5 score could be considered blasphemy in certain circles.

22 hours ago, wrestlenewbie said:

Some props for Chad Red this year. His only two loses to guys who either are or were ranked #1. In years past he had mediocre to poor regular seasons and then performed to his abilities in the tournaments (some want to view this is turning it up, I view it as getting to expectations). This year there was no need rally from a poor season. I think this will be his best NCAA tourney yet.

He made a big jump last year already, but we didn't get to see the fruits of it at nationals. Four of his seven losses were NCAA top 2 seeds and the other three were #'s 4, 5, and 9 (which he avenged twice). 

If you give him credit for a 10-0 win for falls, this is his D1-only scoring progression:

2019: 5.6 to 3.6 (1.6 ratio)

2020: 7.4 to 3.6 (2.05 ratio against 68% national qualifiers)

2021: 6.5 to 3.1 (2.1 ratio & better defense against 71% national qualifiers)

So a big jump in 2020 and similar ratio this year, but with better defense and facing all Big 10 competition.

One thing to remember is , in the scheme of things, the Big Ten tournament results usually doesn’t have a direct correlation with the national championships results for the conference.  There are too many wrestlers to go through ,from around the country to get the Big Ten rematch. I remember back in the day, an IU wrestler never won a Big Ten championship, his name was Joe,  but ultimately won TWO National championships.  He never had to beat his conference nemesis at NCAA’s. 

• 2 weeks later...