Biggest Rivalries

I was watching a few college matches on YouTube and they showed some rivalry videos between some of the best guys over the years, i was thinking about some big ones IN has had I think the biggest one IMO was Camden Eppert (Anderson Highland) and Brandon Wright (Cathedral) wrestled under the lights 3 times with Eppert on top 2 times and multiple matches during the regular seasons I don't know who had the advantage over who with more wins but it was great to see each time, have there been any other big ones like this?

As mentioned earlier Eppert vs. Wright has to be top of the list here.  I’d be amazed if there was another Indiana HS rivalry that matches it.  Two high caliber wrestlers that face each other in multiple matches, at multiple levels of state, and in multiple state finals over the course of several season.  There have been some top IN wrestlers have one or two years where they ran into each other a couple rounds of state, but Eppert vs. Wright was a constant collision course.  

Edited by MattM

215 behemoths Jeremy Motl of New Castle vs Scott Gross Shenandoah, they had half dozen wars that went back and forth every weekend.. This crazy rivalry lead to the infamous Sectional brawl in 97 when the entire building broke out into a tussle and they had to clear the gym and only allow the parents of each kid and coaches in the gym to finish the match..Motl went on to place 7th and become a 2x placer and Gross would finish runner up and lose both his trips to MSA to Talamantes! Motl was and still is a guy that nobody messes with lol He went on to win the AMATEUR HW MMA national title submitting all 4 guys as a young stud prospect and eventually had a successful professional fighting career.. Dear friend of mine and we are both now tree trimmers now, just a couple meatheads that still love the sport.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Leroy Vega vs Greg Schaefer met 3 years in a row on Saturday.  1995 freshman Schaefer wins in semis, 1996 Vega hip toss in final seconds to win in the quarters.  1997 Vega wins in title match.  Schaefer wins as freshman and again as a senior.  Vega wins his final 2 years. They would go on to wrestle each other in college and sit in opposite corners as coaches.  Two of Indiana's best!  If someone has a video of any of these matches please post!

Edited by regionfather10

45 minutes ago, slingerbailey said:

Garcia & Mills

There's no rivalry here... partners from a young age and always pushed each other hard in practice.  These two were battle tested and mentally prepared for the state series run.  Knowing that these two would see each other at our Dual, County, Conference, Sectionals, Regionals, Semi-State and State only sold more popcorn at the events.  They had their battles on the mat and Asa got the best when it counted, but we're his biggest fans when he's not on the other side of the line.  Fun times and wouldn't have it any other way! #cwaog 

3 hours ago, Indysportsfan said:

I recall Bradbury vs Ramos having 6 battles in the same year, Ramos won them all, including the Finals.

Bradbury vs Ramos happened 13 times in a two year period with the last one being in the state finals.

Bradbury was 0-13 vs Ramos....and we thought we were going to beat him every time.  I think Bradbury was winning in the third period 5 or 6 times in their 13 match rivalry.  

14 hours ago, tangarrray said:

How about McGill vs Cosgrove?  I doubt anyone wrestled 7x in the same season.  

VanDeventer from Bloomington North and Kleinhans Columbus North I believe wrestled 8 times in 2004. Kleinhans was state runner up with 8 losses, all to VanDeventer

3 hours ago, FortunatlyGreat said:

This being well before my time what was the cause?

Lol I'm just saying those 3 teams were represented nicely at state every year and great matches amongst these 3 legendary Programs..NC finished back 2 back state runner ups losing to EMD in the current Format of team scoring and the following year NC lost in the Dual team state format to EMD as well.. NC and EMD were both nationally ranked.. That NC team sent 8 to state with 6 PLACERS.

The crazy yet very sad part is, that my cousin Bubba Dickerson was the reigning HW state champ that passed away before that 96 season therefore NC had to bump guys around in their line up to match up with EMD best way possible.. So nc more than likely has 9 qualifiers and 7 PLACERS and Pinning machine Bubba would've made a huge difference in the team state finals where NC lost a war to EMD..IMHO that nc team was one of the best Dual teams to never win it..NC at one time,NC won 106 straight dual matches over a 3 season span and  a 4 season span of having 177-4 dual record in the mid 90s..

Those  NC teams also had ridiculous team stats and one that stands out to me was the varsity gave up less that 20 pins all season in 95 or 96  iirc... Belmont in 96 had 6 state qualifier,3 PLACERS with the state Champ Jason Baker... Great teams that are engrained in the rich history of Indiana Wrestling.. NC legendary coach Rex Peckinpaugh Retired couple years ago with not only Indianas Most wins  but the entire nation winning 1001 dual meets..

His record was a staggering, 1001-300-3 over 40 years.. Coaching 91 state qualifiers, 43 PLACERS,4 state runner ups and a state champ, 30+ sectionals, 13 regionals and 6 semi state titles.. We are testing doing our best to get NC back winning titles and steadily producing not only great Wrestlers but wonderful human beings that will be successful in life.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

As mentioned, Bellmont and Mater Dei were the bullies of their sectional, regional, and semi state areas like NC. They had many individuals battling for individual titles. Also fought battles in the single class team state duals tournaments. There was no love loss but there was and is respect. They even took the rivalry to the basketball state championship (which Mater Dei prevailed).

2 hours ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

As mentioned, Bellmont and Mater Dei were the bullies of their sectional, regional, and semi state areas like NC. They had many individuals battling for individual titles. Also fought battles in the single class team state duals tournaments. There was no love loss but there was and is respect. They even took the rivalry to the basketball state championship (which Mater Dei prevailed).

NC beat EMD in the state semis in 06 the year BC beat Jay county for the state title! Too bad we couldn't ever beat them in Wrestling like that 🤣

Start the Springsteen Glory Days song......Early 90's EMD and Lawrence North had all out wars. FCfighter170 and casualwrestlingfan probably remember the Indiana's Best tournament back in the 90's. Absolute WAR! I think they'd invite the top 5 or six teams and everyone would wrestle everyone. There were no brackets so there was no hiding. It was at MD one time I can't remember if i was a frosh or soph. I do know my only shot at wrestling in that tournament was my senior year in 94/95 we got a ton of snow and did not make the trip. We were in the practice room when the decision was made to not go, we showered and met at Pizza Hut, I stuffed my face full of pizza and was probably sick after that. We probably would have been a better team had we been able to make the trip but we DID bond quite well that afternoon. We won state that year thanks to our 6 qualifiers one state champ a runner up and several placers. Man those were the days! Wish I was still in that good of shape 😅!

Edited by Ahawkeye

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.