New IHSAA State Wrestling Proposal

This thread is intended to propose a new format of the IHSAA state wrestling tournament.

1. We ditch folk style wrestling, and we wrestle Greco Roman instead.  Why: 

-Folkstyle has many more ways to stall relative to the other styles 

-Greco Roman is more entertaining for the kids with the throws etc., & it just forces action better

-A college coach could easily teach what isn’t known about folkstyle to a great Indiana wrestler, and it would be a fresh change for the kids when they wrestle in college in a new style that they could use many techniques they already know.

-I argue more interest would get generated in Indiana wrestling because multi sport athletes could more quickly pick up Greco Roman and have more fun with it

2.  We ditch double elimination bracket style for a single league style with the winner of state having been the wrestler who accumulated the highest “score” similar to a chess latter system.  Score would not start at zero at state, starting score should be developed by your wins and losses over ranked opponents in the season and by how great a margin your victory was.  This rewards you for competing throughout the year, does not penalize you for switching weight classes-but rewards you for switching weight classes to try to beat higher score opponents near your weight and all the while allowing it possible for you to win at the end of the year even if you did not have a perfect year.  A computer program gets built at state to assign matches every round based on score where if you win a round, you wrestle a higher score ranked opponent than before (in general).  Why:

-This score method helps eliminate biases present in our current system such as school class and location.

-I argue This would encourage more risk taking, I’m not a fan of “you lose once you can’t win it all” at state, and not a fan of you lose twice you’re done.  I’m not a fan of whatever happened in season stops mattering when we start the state tournament.  As we know, so many factors make this unfair in current system (location, class, etc.)  Now you could potentially lose, but still win it all by score, because you went potentially 20-4 in season because you moved up a weight to try to take out big names at some duel meets and lost 4 times at state but you took risks and hit a couple of sick lateral drops and won a lot of matches and your score got boosted enough to win it all.

3.  The entire state tournament would need ran inside a Friday-Sunday period somewhere.  Why:

-The current 4 week system feels long

-would need everyone together to do proposed method 

I am sorry but Greco is boring and the rules are confusing. If I would every evaluate anything would for NFHS and the NCAA switch to Freestyle and then allow overtime. As for the ladder system no way. If you want to challenge yourself as an athlete and you want to be the best, go up a weight at a tournament and challenge yourself. I watched a lot of really good wrestlers move up a weight to wrestle the opposing teams best. If you win the the Rankings guy sees it. If you lose it hasn't hurt you in anyway what so ever. You are challenging yourself.  The only change to the system with State Series is wrestle backs at all levels and seeding at Semi-State and state levels. "Just my two cents."

I don’t even know what to say Edit 
spongebob squarepants eww GIF 

All I read was

smh, I probably edit this again in a few mins . Then again after I get to 

Then again after 

3. telling us why . 

Edited by TeamGarcia
I don’t even know ?

35 minutes ago, UncleJimmy said:

I feel like this is a @ClownBabyburner account for some reason. Sounds like him. Where is that dude? Where's a lot of dudes, come to think of it? Maybe an offseason thread.."Where have they gone.."

Good point Uncle Jimmy,   He is from Carmel.   Lets give him a test to see what type of Car he drives and how much his average mixed drink cocktail costs?  Then we'll know?

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

1 hour ago, GrecoCoach said:

Yes!!!  All Greco All The Time!!!

Greco Roman is the sport of kings - who never kneel before anyone.  Let's be like the scandanavian countries that only do Greco.

For those that don't get it...

the big bang theory sarcasm GIF

Hear hear!

3 hours ago, Scott Kelly said:

This thread is intended to propose a new format of the IHSAA state wrestling tournament.

1. We ditch folk style wrestling, and we wrestle Greco Roman instead.  Why: 

-Folkstyle has many more ways to stall relative to the other styles 

-Greco Roman is more entertaining for the kids with the throws etc., & it just forces action better

-A college coach could easily teach what isn’t known about folkstyle to a great Indiana wrestler, and it would be a fresh change for the kids when they wrestle in college in a new style that they could use many techniques they already know.

-I argue more interest would get generated in Indiana wrestling because multi sport athletes could more quickly pick up Greco Roman and have more fun with it

2.  We ditch double elimination bracket style for a single league style with the winner of state having been the wrestler who accumulated the highest “score” similar to a chess latter system.  Score would not start at zero at state, starting score should be developed by your wins and losses over ranked opponents in the season and by how great a margin your victory was.  This rewards you for competing throughout the year, does not penalize you for switching weight classes-but rewards you for switching weight classes to try to beat higher score opponents near your weight and all the while allowing it possible for you to win at the end of the year even if you did not have a perfect year.  A computer program gets built at state to assign matches every round based on score where if you win a round, you wrestle a higher score ranked opponent than before (in general).  Why:

-This score method helps eliminate biases present in our current system such as school class and location.

-I argue This would encourage more risk taking, I’m not a fan of “you lose once you can’t win it all” at state, and not a fan of you lose twice you’re done.  I’m not a fan of whatever happened in season stops mattering when we start the state tournament.  As we know, so many factors make this unfair in current system (location, class, etc.)  Now you could potentially lose, but still win it all by score, because you went potentially 20-4 in season because you moved up a weight to try to take out big names at some duel meets and lost 4 times at state but you took risks and hit a couple of sick lateral drops and won a lot of matches and your score got boosted enough to win it all.

3.  The entire state tournament would need ran inside a Friday-Sunday period somewhere.  Why:

-The current 4 week system feels long

-would need everyone together to do proposed method 

Too drastic to get people motivated to change HS wrestling to this, but it would be a fun thing to try for a Greco off season league. 

College coaches definitely cannot just teach a good freestyle athlete to wrestle folkstyle well in a short amount of time, look at some of the college athletes this years that transferred from other countries. Two that I can think of are Ohio State's Anthony Echemendia and Iowa State's Yonger Bastida. Echemendia is a 5-time age group national champion from Cuba, and isn't even the starting guy in the line-up, and Bastida is a junior world bronze medalist and owns a freestyle win over former NCAA Kyven Gadson, yet he isn't even in FloWrestling's most recent national rankings.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.