Skin diseases this season

ENoblewrestling

20 minutes ago, Coach Brobst said:

Way less. And we couldn't even make them shower after practice at the facility because of distancing. I wonder if all the hand washing and hand sanitizing helped eliminate a lot of it.

Less wrestling partners and less giant tournaments decreased skin diseases.

I seem to remember most skin disease coming after individual tournaments and not super duals. 

I'd also say that with many teams having less mutli-dual meets that was less rolling around on a mat tracked all over by multiple shoes that were everywhere on the gym floor.  Especially if some locations mopped mats in between sessions.  I believe about as many skin diseases comes from that surface contact as it does from contact with another wrestler during a match.

Edited by MattM

Just now, Jcjcjc said:

Less wrestling partners and less giant tournaments decreased skin diseases.

I seem to remember most skin disease coming after individual tournaments and not super duals. 

That's probably true as well. Mats getting cleansed between rounds probably helped with this as well.

^^THIS^^ 

At the highest level BJJ tournaments, you must wear street shoes to the bathroom. If spotted not following this rule, you can be disqualified. Similarly, if spotted wearing street shoes on the mat, you can be disqualified. I would even love to see coaches who are on the mats pre-tournament either bring a pair of wrestling shoes or at least be in their socks.

Another big difference this year was that fans, parents and siblings didn't have access to the competition floor. This significantly cut down on the number of kids running about on the mats and Cousin Larry showing off the move that worked for him in the 1987 Nowheresville District 2A qualifier. The mats are for the wrestlers. 

I had to have forms filled out twice, I think normal for my team is 2-4. I believe the emphasis on mats getting clean and over all hygiene has been a big part on it. I also believe a part of it for us and other teams was not changing wrestling partners as much. In the past would try to change partners as much as possible with some practice having wrestlers have up to 6 partners. This year wrestlers mainly just stuck to the same partner with switching only happening due to injuries.

As a ref, weighing in singles covers a lot of stuff. Middle school gets pretty bad sometimes because they don't weigh in before matches. I've caught some on the mat while wrestling and told the coach about it... not sure how to feel about doing weigh-ins that way yet. I had ringworm a couple years back and couldn't kill it, so I'm always looking hard at weigh-ins.

11 minutes ago, bakecw001 said:

Middle school gets pretty bad sometimes because they don't weigh in before matches. I've caught some on the mat while wrestling and told the coach about it... not sure how to feel about doing weigh-ins that way yet.

Even if it’s only looking over the exposed skin (what’s outside of a singlet) it seems like a skin check should be done even if the MS doesn’t have official weigh-ins.   It boggles my mind how much of the wresting rules are already “pick and choose” at the MS level, but spreading a problematic skin disease shouldn’t be something skipped for the coaches convenience/time.  

54 minutes ago, MattM said:

Even if it’s only looking over the exposed skin (what’s outside of a singlet) it seems like a skin check should be done even if the MS doesn’t have official weigh-ins.   It boggles my mind how much of the wresting rules are already “pick and choose” at the MS level, but spreading a problematic skin disease shouldn’t be something skipped for the coaches convenience/time.  

Middle school is a lot of coaches trust kind of thing. Weigh-ins aren't required and there really isn't a quote 'rulebook' or even set weight classes. Im ok with skin checks and even weigh-ins at that level, but if a coach has a kid with a skin problem and wrestles him without weigh-in scheduled... I blame him. Middle school is kind of like the wild west. 

Athletic  trainers also did skin checks for the first half of the season. Coaches had to have doc along with weigh-in sheets.

If athletic directors scheduled a weigh-in or skin check I'd show up and do it, but they don't want to be there for middle school wrestling.

I carry spray and fungal cream that I appy before and after duals.

Also, I only had 2 or three forms to check this year. Hats off to coaches and covid rules i guess.

Edited by bakecw001

"Middle school is kind of like the wild west."

I literally use that statement when trying to explain MS wrestling to people. It's its own world for sure. 

My goal before my son is out of MS (just finished his 5th grade year) is to unify weights as much as possible. I encourage our coach to hold up away matches if schools won't conform to our weights. Why is our weights the best? Well b/c I'm TripleB!

(It's also the ISWA MS Dual weights). 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.