All state? State finalist... what do you call'em

formercollegekid

So I was having a discussion with a wrestling buddy of mine and we couldn't come to an agreement so... now I bring it to you.

What does your school consider note worthy? ?

Some schools put a kids name up on the wall in a wrestling room just for going to state... others only if you place... others still only if you are top 2.

Some schools anyone who goes to state gets a photo out by the athletic department.  Others only if you win

A good example I can think of is at indian creek if you go to state in any sport you get a photo up on the wall in the athletic hall. But at Warren to get a photo up on the wall you need to be top 2.

Also noticed some sports like track and cross county  hand out medals/ titles for being top 12 or top 16

Love to hear any thoughts... or comments 

Edited by formercollegekid

We have a hall way with pictures of state qualifiers/ all-state followed by smaller pictures of Conference MVPs then on the other side team conference, sectional, regional and semi-state champs. then in the basket ball gym we have picture of individual and team champions and runner-ups. I'm not sure about state placers in general because all our athletes that ever placed either was 1st or second or was 1st or second in a different season.

4 hours ago, bbulldog152 said:

We have a hall way with pictures of state qualifiers/ all-state followed by smaller pictures of Conference MVPs then on the other side team conference, sectional, regional and semi-state champs. then in the basket ball gym we have picture of individual and team champions and runner-ups. I'm not sure about state placers in general because all our athletes that ever placed either was 1st or second or was 1st or second in a different season.

Have you had a qualifier since Spike D? His brother Dave made it to state but I'm not sure if he placed.

3 minutes ago, bbulldog152 said:

Mike Daily is our only Placer. Dave made it but didn't place. We haven't had a state qualier since.

You guys had a pretty decent lightweight in the mid to late 90s that I recall wrestling a few times.  To old to recall the name off the top of my head, but I figure he must have gotten close if he never qualified.

On a side note your original wrestling coach ended up moving to Seymour after and took over our program for a few years.  Entertaining guy. He’s was my former History teacher and in charge of the School Board now.  

Edited by MattM

I would guess either BJ gartenman or Zack sitterding, both of which lost in the ticket round. That's just looking at the record book not sure who they lost to. 

I believe you're referring to art Jurgen? Once again I'm just looking at the record book, I wasn't born until 86.

Edited by bbulldog152

24 minutes ago, bbulldog152 said:

I would guess either BJ gartenman or Zack sitterding, both of which lost in the ticket round. That's just looking at the record book not sure who they lost to. 

I believe you're referring to art Jurgen? Once again I'm just looking at the record book, I wasn't born until 86.

Looking at what personal records I could quickly filter through Sitterding is the most likely fit.  But it seemed like it would be someone a couple years ahead of him though.  I’m a few decades removed which doesn’t always help the memory.   But yes, it was Art Juergens who was the  early coach. 

Edited by MattM

19 hours ago, formercollegekid said:

So I was having a discussion with a wrestling buddy of mine and we couldn't come to an agreement so... now I bring it to you.

What does your school consider note worthy? ?

Some schools put a kids name up on the wall in a wrestling room just for going to state... others only if you place... others still only if you are top 2.

Some schools anyone who goes to state gets a photo out by the athletic department.  Others only if you win

A good example I can think of is at indian creek if you go to state in any sport you get a photo up on the wall in the athletic hall. But at Warren to get a photo up on the wall you need to be top 2.

Also noticed some sports like track and cross county  hand out medals/ titles for being top 12 or top 16

Love to hear any thoughts... or comments 

At warren you get your name on a board in the wrestling room for placing at state.

2 hours ago, bbulldog152 said:

Could've been John Doll too. BJ was tough, beat me a few times. I need he was wrestling hurt at semi state his senior year. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.