State recap

1prouddad

First and foremost, another great season wrestlers. Thank you and to our Seniors, I wish you the best in your next journey. You have not disappointed. 

106- ACTION Jackson was all business from the get go. This sophomore is going to be fun to watch the next couple years. 

113- 4X time state placer and now 2X time CHAMP wasn’t about to be denied. Junior Ruble wrestles hard and as a junior, we will see him again next year for some more excitement. 

120-Great hand fighting while on their feet. But Lemley was just too much on top. He had over 3:00 ride time against a solid Frazier. 

126-One of the most solid wrestlers collects himself another title. Seltzer was too much for a talented Schoeff whos now been under the lights as a freshman and sophomore. 

132-As a southern Indiana guy, this was a tough one for me. One side wanted me to have Freeman win for us southsiders, but I’m not one bit disappointed seeing Montgomery finally put his name in the books. I’ve enjoyed watching him at SS each year. His intro during the face offs showed just how excited he was. I don’t know him personally but you CANT love or root against  a kid with that type of character. Best of luck to both he and Freeman on their next journey. 

138-MENDEZ MENDEZ MEMDEZ 

What more can be said other than we are witnessing history again. As only a junior, he’s coming back to join such a small rank in Indiana rich wrestling history. Also coming back is his competitor, sophomore Ruhlman. Great job getting under the lights kiddo. 

145-Zionsville collects their very 1st school CHAMP in Wagner who just had a bigger gas tank. Watson came out strong but couldn’t keep up the pace that Wagner was forcing. No knock on Watson. 

152- Conway and Ellis has some great scrambles and the 3rd period didn’t disappoint. But they needed extra time to settle the score and Conway gets the takedown and his name in the books. Great match 

160- Quite possibly the most exciting match of the night. We seen all the tricks in this epic battle. Some great scrambles. Just when we thought Baumann was going to ease through the match, Majors counters with a spladle or a key lock. Only to see Baumann battle through it to throw a mean lat  drop and secure not only his 1st title but clinched the Team title for EMD. EPIC EPIC BATTLE gentlemen.

170- Here we have our 2nd High school East Central  capturing their 1st CHAMP. HALL didn’t waste much time and secured the fall in under a minute vs a stout Morril.

182- Sollars was on a mission and showed his SS win in the battle of the unbeaten vs Buchanan wasn’t a fluke. Solid riding with knee blocks helped keep Buchanan grounded. Great news for us fans, they’re both only Juniors and we get to see one more year of them. 

195- And yet another school Indianapolis Luthern captures their first CHAMP. FILIPOVICH is a stud and bested another hammer in Carrington. For some big fellas, they were very athletic and had a lot of exciting scrambles. 

220- what a display by Ruhlman. Who has jumped 3 weight classes, 50 lbs and comes in to put his name in the record books like Ruhlman just did. I know there’s been wrestlers picking up 15-20 lbs but NOT 50. Am I wrong on this one.   Not only did he capture the title, but finished UNBEATEN. 

285- Tye big fellas put on a great show. Some power was shown in throws. Athleticism and balance for 285 was put  on display in some scrambles  And they battled till the final whistle. OL IndianaMats own @Y2CJ41had his big man ready to sit at the top. Muncie comes out in top but I think all us fans win here. 

In the end, we had 3 schools capture their FIRST EVER School CHAMP. 

While we’re going to be losing some GREAT Seniors, Indiana wrestling is solid right now. We seen some PHENOMENAL wrestling from freshmen sensations like Ison, Leavell, May, Demarco, Tishner. 
Then a plethora of Sophomore studs. 

Thank to the coaches and parents during this troubled year(Covid) to help make all this happen. Job well done. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.