Alex Cottey

slingerbailey

4 minutes ago, somecoolguy said:

And according to the people talking on here all week, he was the UNDERDOG!! Predicted to lose Friday night and had no chance to win a championship again. I’m waiting to hear those people comment back. 

They're too busy eating crow.. I've had me some of that before🤣

1 hour ago, somecoolguy said:

And according to the people talking on here all week, he was the UNDERDOG!! Predicted to lose Friday night and had no chance to win a championship again. I’m waiting to hear those people comment back. 

Who the hell considered him an underdog?  I don't recall reading such ridiculousness.  Show me those comments!

produce a single comment that declared him an underdog.

Yeah, not sure what you saw but most had him as the most likely “4 over 1”. Only other type of comments I saw was questioning if he was going to be able to wrestle.

I don't believe anyone on here had Cottey as the underdog.. Cmon! 

He's a two time runner up and one time champ coming into the state finals. He's a senior going against underclassmen. He was clearly the favorite. 

1 minute ago, Trinedad said:

All this being said, Cottey's friday night match should have been under the lights.

Yeah I think most people were saying Egli got the short end of that draw after getting a semi-state title.  Either way Cottey ended up being the top of that weight group.  

Just now, MattM said:

Yeah I think most people were saying Egli got the short end of that draw after getting a semi-state title.  Either way Cottey ended up being the top of that weight group.  

without question, he is a stud, and will do well at the next level.

16 minutes ago, Ch1StyleZ84 said:

Oi vey.....Not picking him to win is not the same as calling him an underdog.

Also not knowing if he's even gonna wrestle and if so how healthy hed be. So if you pick him as your champ and he don't even wrestle that means you pretty much lose your whole pickems lol. 

7 hours ago, TakeTheShot said:

Great wrestler. Glad he got his 4 finals, however what a gamble. Not sure what supposed “physician trained in concussions” released him to wrestle on a Sunday after an obvious concussion when he was clearly symptomatic still on Friday.  Don’t want him to miss an huge opportunity but I imagine he has more he want to accomplish in college and life in general.  

I am also not a fan of trash talk at the end of final high school match against a worthy opponent.  Better role models out there and won’t make my list of favorite wrestlers all time despite success on the mat. 

I am glad to see the two of you hold a high school senior to a higher standard than yourselves!  To say the match was getting "chippy" would be fitting. The "chippyness" was certainly one sided. So to lean over and whisper a compliment and the end shows a lot more restraint than you and your hurt feelings. You had to create an account to call out a kid. Must be the courage of adult beverage consumption.

18 minutes ago, Bruins2013 said:

Yea I saw him say something off to ruble at the end seemed odd after stalling so much and what was all the worm ***potty mouth*** on the mat after he won lol 

I am trying to understand the huge amount of stalling, was that before the first 5 pointer or the second 5 pointer or the 3rd takedown in the first period?

5 hours ago, SWINfan said:

One example of someone predicting someone else to win does not support your argument, weak as it is.  Nor, is any of your drivel necessary.  Just enjoy the result.  

At the end of the day Isaac Ruble is a great wrestler, will undoubtedly capture 1 if not 2 titles. Cottey scored big early and did what he needed to do to capture another state title. I’d venture to say that any wrestler in Cottey’s position would’ve wrestled the same. You’re under the lights with a 5-0 lead in the first. You’re gonna wrestle more defensive at that point, you’re gonna be cautious, you’re gonna hang out on the edge, you’re gonna take a stall call or 2. This is state, period. Cottey had proven himself, he’s got his letter signed, but he still had the hunger to win. Call it chippy, call it what you will, I’ll call it good smart wrestling and it brought him a 2nd state title. Not to mention a 2nd state title that he didn’t need to solidify himself as a great wrestler in IHSAA history 

Alex had an amazing run under the lights 
runner up to Moran nationally ranked 

runner up to cernus nationally ranked 

beat 2x runner up Schoeff for a title 

beat 2x runner up Ruble for a title 

congratulations to the Cottey family! Good luck to Alex at the next level 

1 hour ago, Sutton047 said:

At the end of the day Isaac Ruble is a great wrestler, will undoubtedly capture 1 if not 2 titles. Cottey scored big early and did what he needed to do to capture another state title. I’d venture to say that any wrestler in Cottey’s position would’ve wrestled the same. You’re under the lights with a 5-0 lead in the first. You’re gonna wrestle more defensive at that point, you’re gonna be cautious, you’re gonna hang out on the edge, you’re gonna take a stall call or 2. This is state, period. Cottey had proven himself, he’s got his letter signed, but he still had the hunger to win. Call it chippy, call it what you will, I’ll call it good smart wrestling and it brought him a 2nd state title. Not to mention a 2nd state title that he didn’t need to solidify himself as a great wrestler in IHSAA history 

Couldn’t have said it better. I wonder how many people commenting on Cottey’s match have ever been in a position like this. No need to put your lead at risk when you’re up 10+ points after the first. 

1 hour ago, ontherise219 said:

Alex had an amazing run under the lights 
runner up to Moran nationally ranked 

runner up to cernus nationally ranked 

beat 2x runner up Schoeff for a title 

beat 2x runner up Ruble for a title 

congratulations to the Cottey family! Good luck to Alex at the next level 

Thank you Mike, from the Cottey family!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.