Best match at State Finals

Grenadier2012

On 2/17/2021 at 7:20 PM, Ahawkeye said:

I re-read your original post Greg Schaefer vs. Leroy Vega 1995...Now there is nothing else.

I was there and it was amazing, but was it bigger than Greg’s frosh year? I forget the guy who he beat at 103, but I believe the guy was a senior, Combs? You guys made t-shirts with Greg getting his hand raised, and I remember his local celebrity status being bigger than any wrestler I can remember at MD!

7 hours ago, Falcon06 said:

That Nick Hobbs match was insane. I remember being there and I was probably a 7th grader at the time and it was maybe my first time at state. I remember watching that match and thinking to myself “omg I have to wrestle in this place sometime in my life” after hearing the crowd go nuts. Good times. 

You def did more than just wrestle there, you lit the place up as well!

5 hours ago, Jayruss said:

I was there and it was amazing, but was it bigger than Greg’s frosh year? I forget the guy who he beat at 103, but I believe the guy was a senior, Combs? You guys made t-shirts with Greg getting his hand raised, and I remember his local celebrity status being bigger than any wrestler I can remember at MD!

Greg beat Combs his frosh year, got beat by Vega in the qtrs his soph year got beat by Vega in the finals his jr. year and won it his sr. year. The T shirt with "Greg's likeness" 😁 didn't come out until after his senior season. 

On 2/18/2021 at 1:24 PM, KoontzDaddy said:

Koontz wrestled Drew Hughes in that QF. Hughes got an early lead and Koontz battled back and almost got two NF to tie in the third. Hughes won 7-5. They were ranked 1 & 2 that year.

I think Forte beat Kemper in the finals that year.

I remember the score and I remember the round, I’m just unsure why I said Forte, haha. Forte beat Kellen VanCamp from Lebanon in the finals that year, though. I remember talking to Gabe after the match and we both agreed the match should’ve been the finals, but I think he got runner-up or third at Semi-State the week before.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.