Best match at State Finals

Grenadier2012

11 hours ago, MattM said:

Everyone loves the entertainment of Clark vs Samuels in 2017.  Big guy going at it the whole match. 

If memory still serves me 2005 didn’t Shane Perkey put Angel Escobedo on his back for a split second and the crowd went crazy? I know it was someone from Jimtown against one of the top wrestlers in Indiana history.   

Wish someone could recall any names on this one for me cause it always stuck in my head as an amazing ending.  It was a good 10 years or so back in a lightweight quarterfinals match.  There was 3 seconds left in the match with the the top wrestlers down by 1.  Rather than cutting his opponent like you would expect the top guy somehow just pulled him straight backward on the whistle and got two swipes right at the buzzer to win.  I pretty amazed he was able to pull that off. 

Sure this one is a finals match, but it’s the detail on how it ended that still amazes me. 2012 Petrov vs Campbell finals match.  Petrov fought back to tie it up by the 3rd then has the confidence in his TDs to cut someone of Campbell skill level to hand him the lead in the middle of the 3rd period.  Gotta be on a different level to purposely give up the lead instead waiting for a fresh start in OT.  Petrov gets the takedown and the ride out to win.  

From my own team it’s 2001 Schleibaum vs Elkins.  My prior teammate (I was in college by then) Curt Schleibaum upsetting nationally ranked Richie Elkins in the opening round.  Elkins had the lead early on takedown, but made the mistake of choosing down against one of the best top position turners in the state. I just knew when Elkins went on bottom something big was going to happen. Surprisingly, he finished it with a hammerlock turn rather than his patented crossface cradle he had finished most opponents with.      

I’m sure there are several others I should recall, but need a memory boost.  

That was Nick Hobbs vs that you're referring to vs Jeremy brown when he refused to cut him and titled him for the W.. Hobbs is one of the best to never win it too!

11 hours ago, ehscoach said:

Was this Nick Hobbs of Beech Grove on Friday night?

Yessir vs Jeremy brown.. Hobbs lost to Mauer year was tied 2-2 going into 3rd and cut Blake to try and get TD but was unsuccessful, so that explains his ideology not to cut the guy and go for tilt instead! Hobbs lost to Jason cook in Qtrs by 1.. Hobbs was one of my favorite guys ever to watch.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

10 hours ago, MattM said:

I’m pretty sure it was in the quarter-finals, but wouldn’t put it past Hobbs to have done something similar. 

Was Friday night I was  10 feet from it and about fainted when he pulled that off.. The best part was his never changing demeanor like he did that a million times.. He didn't bat an eye, straight faced got his hand raised and walked off pissed he was even in that position.. He was electrifying... Him and Ian Campbell had some classics as well.

15 hours ago, MattM said:

I’m pretty sure it was in the quarter-finals, but wouldn’t put it past Hobbs to have done something similar. 

It was Friday night.

I was sitting next to the mat waiting to see how Hobbs would pull it out. His tilt was nasty; even got it on Alex Ramos two years previous to take a lead on the defending and eventual state champ. 

4 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

As much as it hurts his comeback vs my Guy was crazy af.. Campbell vs Petrov was crazy too..

Campbell-Petrov is the reason my daughter wrestles. Her first experience beyond a tv screen with the sport, and she sat with Brendens family and got to know them. She bawled her eyes out when he lost. 

Ayersman-Campbell from 2011 finals was pretty amazing too. 

12 hours ago, blueandgold said:

Off the top of my head for some not already mentioned...

• Kris Rumph vs. Zach Melloh in the 138 State semifinals in 2017

• Alec Viduya vs. Asa Garcia in the 113 State semifinals in 2017

• Sawyer Miller vs. Breyden Bailey in the 120 State semifinals in 2015

• Drew Hildebrandt vs. Blake Glogouski in the 120 State quarterfinals in 2016

• Ryan Guhl vs. Kobe Woods in the 220 State semifinals in 2016... Guhl pulled a monumental upset

• Tommy Forte vs. Gabe Koontz in the 152 State quarterfinals in 2015

Koontz wrestled Drew Hughes in that QF. Hughes got an early lead and Koontz battled back and almost got two NF to tie in the third. Hughes won 7-5. They were ranked 1 & 2 that year.

I think Forte beat Kemper in the finals that year.

20 minutes ago, ehscoach said:

I remember a Portage Lawrence North match I think. Mid 2000’s. Feels like maybe 145. Portage was down maybe 4 or 5 with less than 10 seconds to go. Lat drop to send it to OT. Names escape me now. Maybe Biddle?

Chad biddle, Dallas hesseltine was a beast too! 

18 hours ago, MattM said:

If memory still serves me 2005 didn’t Shane Perkey put Angel Escobedo on his back for a split second and the crowd went crazy? I know it was someone from Jimtown against one of the top wrestlers in Indiana history.    

It was Shane and it was a long second...

4 hours ago, Jimtown 138 said:

It was Shane and it was a long second...

The entire place Gasped and gave one hell of a Pop when he did! I also remember Swindeman coming in as a 4 seed destroying NCSS CHAMP Thomas lynch who the week before came out of no where and ran through semi state beating top 3 ranked Ian Campbell with crazy throws and scrambles.. Swindeman made the semis and really turned heads that weekend.

Paul Troupe SB LaSalle vs Tony Abbott Muncie SouthSide.   Excellent match in the Semifinals in 1990.  Troupe and Abbott shoot at the same time and Smack: the both wobble and Abbott recovers and gets the victory and goes on to win state.  Paul Troupe is in my humble opinion the best wrestler to never win state in Indiana.  This guys was a Monster and one of my best friends growing up.   He won Fargo in Greco that year and got second in Freestyle.

5 minutes ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

Paul Troupe SB LaSalle vs Tony Abbott Muncie SouthSide.   Excellent match in the Semifinals in 1990.  Troupe and Abbott shoot at the same time and Smack: the both wobble and Abbott recovers and gets the victory and goes on to win state.  Paul Troupe is in my humble opinion the best wrestler to never win state in Indiana.  This guys was a Monster and one of my best friends growing up.   He won Fargo in Greco that year and got second in Freestyle.

Abbott is doing big things at Cowan and his boy is a stud! I just had one dawn on me who nobody has said but Jeff Pease might be the best to never win it with his credentials..

Screenshot_20210218-200343.png

2009 Eppert vs Wright 119lbs.  The final matchup.  Great match and I admit I may be a bit biased butit was electric!

Flashback to the 2008 NC semi state. I was leaving before the finals due to a family birthday party that I was "strongly encouraged" to attend.  I crossed paths with Camden Eppert on my way out, we spoke briefly and I told him he was looking good and good luck in the finals. Got to my truck and realized, wait, ah, naw, surely that doesn't apply to wrestling. Imagine my horror when I received a call a few hours later that Eppert lost. Must have been my fault, you know, the jinx, I have never directly wished a wrestler good luck since, well, not one that I wanted to win anyway. 🙂

Back to the 2009 finals. I was fortunate to be with a group of great people in a suite (spoils ya for sure!). The Wright/Eppert match was brought up and everyone was picking Wright, I was silent. Several friends asked me, who ya got. Eppert I said, no way he loses to Wright again. There may or may not have been a friendly wager.  Sucker, I had inside information. 🙂  Eppert won the tight, exciting match as we know and I was relieved to say the least.

To all the old Anderson Highland fans, Coaches and the Eppert family, I hope you can find it in you heart to forgive me. As Paul Harvey used to say, now you know the rest of the story.  So to all the wrestlers tomorrow. Good, err, well, best, nah,  leave it all on the mat!!!

Respectfully and humbly yours,

Ron Allen Jr (no, not the realtor 🙂 )

12 minutes ago, RAJR said:

2009 Eppert vs Wright 119lbs.  The final matchup.  Great match and I admit I may be a bit biased butit was electric!

Flashback to the 2008 NC semi state. I was leaving before the finals due to a family birthday party that I was "strongly encouraged" to attend.  I crossed paths with Camden Eppert on my way out, we spoke briefly and I told him he was looking good and good luck in the finals. Got to my truck and realized, wait, ah, naw, surely that doesn't apply to wrestling. Imagine my horror when I received a call a few hours later that Eppert lost. Must have been my fault, you know, the jinx, I have never directly wished a wrestler good luck since, well, not one that I wanted to win anyway. 🙂

Back to the 2009 finals. I was fortunate to be with a group of great people in a suite (spoils ya for sure!). The Wright/Eppert match was brought up and everyone was picking Wright, I was silent. Several friends asked me, who ya got. Eppert I said, no way he loses to Wright again. There may or may not have been a friendly wager.  Sucker, I had inside information. 🙂  Eppert won the tight, exciting match as we know and I was relieved to say the least.

To all the old Anderson Highland fans, Coaches and the Eppert family, I hope you can find it in you heart to forgive me. As Paul Harvey used to say, now you know the rest of the story.  So to all the wrestlers tomorrow. Good, err, well, best, nah,  leave it all on the mat!!!

Respectfully and humbly yours,

Ron Allen Jr (no, not the realtor 🙂 )

That was an epic rivalry! Epperts brother brady Wrestled my team mate Jason sayre.. Sayre was 2SQ that got kicked off team, and didn't get wrestle his senior year.. He was ranked top 3 going into senior year, he majored a guy named Reece Humphrey in SS semis the year prior 13-2 but couldn't wrestle, meanwhile Reece goes on to win his first state title...

I wrestled an ol Anderson Scot first match of Semi state in 04' Zach Webb I think his name was..I remember he would scream top of his lungs before he ran on the mat like a wild man🤣 I'll never forget he has" Mamaw papaw and War is hell" on his head gear tape.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

1 hour ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Abbott is doing big things at Cowan and his boy is a stud! I just had one dawn on me who nobody has said but Jeff Pease might be the best to never win it with his credentials..

Screenshot_20210218-200343.png

I forgot about Pease. Definitely has the credentials.

14 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

That was Nick Hobbs vs that you're referring to vs Jeremy brown when he refused to cut him and titled him for the W.. Hobbs is one of the best to never win it too!

That Nick Hobbs match was insane. I remember being there and I was probably a 7th grader at the time and it was maybe my first time at state. I remember watching that match and thinking to myself “omg I have to wrestle in this place sometime in my life” after hearing the crowd go nuts. Good times. 

Edited by Falcon06

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.