Best match at State Finals

Grenadier2012

Given the theme of obligatory topics for the week I figured I'd start this one since I haven't seen it yet. What are some of the best matches you have witnessed at state finals? Aside from some of the obvious finals matches, I'll start with some of my most memorable:

2006 130 lbs semi-finals- Matt Hemry (Portage) vs. Alexander Warren (Mooresville)- Warren built up a big early lead and Hemry stormed back mid to late 3rd with Warren holding off. Cant remember final score but both guys in double digits

2007 130 lbs quarters- Jake Fleckenstein (East Central) vs. Michael Harmon (Southwestern) -The big talk was Fleckentein and Galka in the semi's (#1 and #2 at the time I believe). Fleckenstein was slick and got in on ducks and singles with ease and Harmon hit 2 or 3 neck wrenches, putting Fleckenstein on his back each time. Final score 9-8 Harmon. One of the bigger upsets that year.

2015 120 lbs Friday Night-Tyler Ferguson (Evansville Reitz) vs. Jeremiah Reitz (Griffith)- Ridiculous Friday night draw. Don't remember all of the specifics other than fireworks the whole way through

Edited by Grenadier2012

Everyone loves the entertainment of Clark vs Samuels in 2017.  Big guy going at it the whole match. 

If memory still serves me 2005 didn’t Shane Perkey put Angel Escobedo on his back for a split second and the crowd went crazy? I know it was someone from Jimtown against one of the top wrestlers in Indiana history.   

Wish someone could recall any names on this one for me cause it always stuck in my head as an amazing ending.  It was a good 10 years or so back in a lightweight quarterfinals match.  There was 3 seconds left in the match with the the top wrestlers down by 1.  Rather than cutting his opponent like you would expect the top guy somehow just pulled him straight backward on the whistle and got two swipes right at the buzzer to win.  I pretty amazed he was able to pull that off. 

Sure this one is a finals match, but it’s the detail on how it ended that still amazes me. 2012 Petrov vs Campbell finals match.  Petrov fought back to tie it up by the 3rd then has the confidence in his TDs to cut someone of Campbell skill level to hand him the lead in the middle of the 3rd period.  Gotta be on a different level to purposely give up the lead instead waiting for a fresh start in OT.  Petrov gets the takedown and the ride out to win.  

From my own team it’s 2001 Schleibaum vs Elkins.  My prior teammate (I was in college by then) Curt Schleibaum upsetting nationally ranked Richie Elkins in the opening round.  Elkins had the lead early on takedown, but made the mistake of choosing down against one of the best top position turners in the state. I just knew when Elkins went on bottom something big was going to happen. Surprisingly, he finished it with a hammerlock turn rather than his patented crossface cradle he had finished most opponents with.      

I’m sure there are several others I should recall, but need a memory boost.  

Edited by MattM

2018 Semi finals Zach Melloh vs Blake Mulkey was the craziest most intense match of the whole tournament that year imo. Melloh wins 3-2 in utb. blake mulkey had the lead 2-1 and had Melloh in a front head lock trying to keep him down, then the ref hits him with a controversial stall call with 5 seconds left on the clock in the first set of 30 second tie-breakers which caused  the match to go in to utb with the score of 2-2. Melloh manages to escape with about 15 seconds left on the clock and makes it to the finals beating mulkey 3-2. Boy did i feel coach Snyders anger from the stands that day. Amazing match either way 

20 minutes ago, MattM said:

Wish someone could recall any names on this one for me cause it always stuck in my head as an amazing ending.  It was a good 10 years or so back in a lightweight quarterfinals match.  There was 3 seconds left in the match with the the top wrestlers down by 1.  Rather than cutting his opponent like you would expect the top guy somehow just pulled him straight backward on the whistle and got two swipes right at the buzzer to win.  I pretty amazed he was able to pull that off. 

Was this Nick Hobbs of Beech Grove on Friday night?

2 hours ago, tyquhp13 said:

Sorry, gotta go with the Vega -Schaefer semi in 96. haha😀

I'm obviously partial to MD but i remember Schaefer hitting a lat drop and the place exploding. MSA was an awesome place to wach wrestling better than BLFH in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Grenadier2012 said:

Given the theme of obligatory topics for the week I figured I'd start this one since I haven't seen it yet. What are some of the best matches you have witnessed at state finals? Aside from some of the obvious finals matches, I'll start with some of my most memorable:

2006 130 lbs semi-finals- Matt Hemry (Portage) vs. Alexander Warren (Mooresville)- Warren built up a big early lead and Hemry stormed back mid to late 3rd with Warren holding off. Cant remember final score but both guys in double digits

2007 130 lbs quarters- Jake Fleckenstein (East Central) vs. Michael Harmon (Southwestern) -The big talk was Fleckentein and Galka in the semi's (#1 and #2 at the time I believe). Fleckenstein was slick and got in on ducks and singles with ease and Harmon hit 2 or 3 neck wrenches, putting Fleckenstein on his back each time. Final score 9-8 Harmon. One of the bigger upsets that year.

2015 120 lbs Friday Night-Tyler Ferguson (Evansville Reitz) vs. Jeremiah Reitz (Griffith)- Ridiculous Friday night draw. Don't remember all of the specifics other than fireworks the whole way through

Ferguson jumped out to a big lead and dominated the 1st 2 periods, leading 13-2.  Ferguson ran out of gas and Reitz made a mad comeback, but it wasn't enough.  Ferguson, who had been out most of the year, won 17-13 over the reigning State Champ (106).  It was a helluva match and would definitely be on my list of favs.

Off the top of my head, I would add....
- 2015 182 lb Semifinal match with Frosh Mason Parris losing a 11-10 decision to Undefeated Senior Chase Osborn.  IMO, if that match lasted :20 more, Parris wins.  
- 2015 138 lb Semifinal match between Joe Lee and Brandon James - Lee winning by fall
- 2017 285 lb 3rd/4th match Robert Samuels 12-11 over Rickie Clark.  One of the most exciting 285 lb matches ever!
- 2017 Quarterfinal and Semifinal matches with Kyle Luigs.  In the QF, Luigs beat Jeremiah Reitz 6-4 SV1 and lost 6-4 in the Semi to Breyden Bailey.  Both matches came down to the end had close calls that could have gone either way.
- 2018 Quarterfinal at 113 - Blake Boarman wins 8-6 SV1 over Brayden Lowery.  Boarman, wrestling with a bum knee hurt in the SS Final, gutted out a tough, tough match.  Both would become State Champs in 2020.  

Ferg_Reitz.gif

3 hours ago, Ahawkeye said:

I re-read your original post Greg Schaefer vs. Leroy Vega 1995...Now there is nothing else.

Definitely up there! I was there I believe the RCA dome at the time. The buzz in the air was unreal!

Off the top of my head for some not already mentioned...

• Kris Rumph vs. Zach Melloh in the 138 State semifinals in 2017

• Alec Viduya vs. Asa Garcia in the 113 State semifinals in 2017

• Sawyer Miller vs. Breyden Bailey in the 120 State semifinals in 2015

• Drew Hildebrandt vs. Blake Glogouski in the 120 State quarterfinals in 2016

• Ryan Guhl vs. Kobe Woods in the 220 State semifinals in 2016... Guhl pulled a monumental upset

• Tommy Forte vs. Gabe Koontz in the 152 State quarterfinals in 2015

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.