Black History Month- Past Champs

Dan_Williams

A couple from Lake Central...Gelen Robinson and James Torres. Gelen was such an animal and would throw it all on line every match. Funny story about James Torres, my dad coached him and James was starring in the stands and my dad asked him what he was starring at and James replied with "Coach Ayersman, do you see that girl up there?". Some guys could be like James Torres whether other guys would be super tight and were only focused on the match.

9 hours ago, maligned said:

Jim Ledbetter was an outstanding mentor to many in both his coaching and officiating. I loved watching the interactions with his guys and with younger referees. Such a father figure type with constant pieces of simple, gentle truth.

Jim Ledbetter is the best! Amazing coach, role model, educator, father figure, human being, etc. He has impacted so many peoples lives on and off the mat. I was lucky enough to have him as a coach 6th-12th grade. MTXE

1 hour ago, Jayruss said:

Ah, thanks! I remember Brimm also running into Dan Pleak from Cathedral! That guy was underrated and should be more talk about him and Pat Cassidy on here! 

Pat Cassidy was def the truth!

Pleak Was state champ then  Pleak lost in the finalsb his senior year..Nc 4th placer Jayson madden Hit Pleak with the nastiest left handed head lock then Pleak Fought it off only to stand up and get hit with Maddens right handed headlock and pinned, madden had one of the tightest headlocks to the point it out you to sleep similar to a Head and Arm choke in BJJ...

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Snider: Elbert Starks 1985

Anthony Lapsley 1998

Jason Woodson 2001

South Bend Lasalle :David White 1985

Deron Phillips 1988

SB Washington: Carl Evans 1969

Demetrius Jackson 1990

I wrestled for all 3 high schools

2 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Pat Cassidy was def the truth!

Pleak Was state champ then  Pleak lost in the finalsb his senior year..Nc 4th placer Jayson madden Hit Pleak with the nastiest left handed head lock then Pleak Fought it off only to stand up and get hit with Maddens right handed headlock and pinned, madden had one of the tightest headlocks to the point it out you to sleep similar to a Head and Arm choke in BJJ...

Geez!! And good stuff thanks!

3 hours ago, Jayruss said:

Ah, thanks! I remember Brimm also running into Dan Pleak from Cathedral! That guy was underrated and should be more talk about him and Pat Cassidy on here! 

It was fun watching Brimm back in the day. He looked like a man-child even in middle school. His dad, Jim Shannon, was my freestyle coach for several years & he was such a great guy. Jay definitely had a good support crew there. As for your reference to Pat Cassidy...I had the good fortune of wrestling him several times. Never turned out well for me. lol

41 minutes ago, PreparetoWin said:

What was Motl first name.  If I remember right he was around 130-135? If thats who I think it is  might have ran into him back then. 

Eric Motl was 135-140 2x placer that was a slick slick slick wrestler.. Always beat Eric Kerkhof handily when they Wrestled.. He lost to Jarrod Werst his senior year, then Werst lost to kerkof in the finals.

1 hour ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Eric Motl was 135-140 2x placer that was a slick slick slick wrestler.. Always beat Eric Kerkhof handily when they Wrestled.. He lost to Jarrod Werst his senior year, then Werst lost to kerkof in the finals.

yup, thats him.  Man you are taking me on a stroll down memory lane! I def recall Eric, cant recall any of our matches...I do remember 1 match I had with Kerkof though, Free Style State in 94 I believe, there were 64 kids in a stacked weight class.  Getting toward the end of the day, Kerkof beat Leavell and was assured he was going to win the weight class.  He was none to happy when I beat him 3-2. Very strong kid and was rarely in a bad position, hard to score on. Lots of good memories. 

On 2/17/2021 at 5:10 PM, FCFIGHTER170 said:

His boy Demarcus was a bad boy.. His nephew Deangelo actually moved to NC and never had wrestled.. Came out, made varsity and went like 35-6 before quitting before state tournament if I  remember correctly sheet inning a NCC title 3 months after starting.. Kid was a Enigma that could've really went far head he stuck with it.. He quit right before sectionals iirc... All his losses see to ranked kids too and beat few studs that year... He'd blast DOUBLE you to a half on the way down.

DeMarcus was a very well grounded kid that was as nice as the day is long. 

8 hours ago, PreparetoWin said:

yup, thats him.  Man you are taking me on a stroll down memory lane! I def recall Eric, cant recall any of our matches...I do remember 1 match I had with Kerkof though, Free Style State in 94 I believe, there were 64 kids in a stacked weight class.  Getting toward the end of the day, Kerkof beat Leavell and was assured he was going to win the weight class.  He was none to happy when I beat him 3-2. Very strong kid and was rarely in a bad position, hard to score on. Lots of good memories. 

Hell yea big dog, you must be a stud!

On 2/17/2021 at 8:43 PM, Ironbear said:

Have we already forgotten Frank Anderson 133lbs state champ from Indianapolis Shortridge1st 1955 133lbs 2nd 1956 145lbs and 1953 95lbs 3rd. 

Frank Anderson was a 2x State Champion from Indianapolis Shortridge.  He later served as the first black sheriff for Marion County from 2003 to 2011

Frank Anderson - Marion County Sheriff bio

2140753894_Screenshot2021-02-19091841.png.34d7f936808d6e8188317e1f4e4a71f1.png

11 hours ago, rdrodd1 said:

I can't remember for sure but wasn't there some real stud out of Tech, light weight, back in the late 70's?

Russ Toliver '79....long time coach for Creston Junior High in Warren Township.

Add Darren Arberry to the list of Tech greats too!

After quite a bit of research looking through IHSAA records and old yearbooks - I'm fairly certain that the first black State Champion in Indiana was sophomore David Jeter of Indianapolis Shortridge in 1953 @ 165 pounds.  Frank Anderson was a freshman teammate and finished 3rd

1845388937_Screenshot2021-02-19104927.thumb.png.6547d51882f81538b647fd02f11a5e23.png

• 8 months later...

Isiah McWilliams definitely one of the best HWT guys of color in his time 3X qualifier 4th Place and Two 2nd place finishes  

the 3rd place match between Richie Clark  (Brownsburg) and Robert Samuels (Lawrence North) was one of the most exciting matches at a State tournament ever.

18 hours ago, bellrs said:

I have not seen that match in 7 years and it was just as painful watching it now as it was back then.   It was one heck of a match though. 

They wrestled one week before season with eerily similar results. Both the match at starlet and before season both ended regulation tied 8-8. With Blake winning the preseason OT battle. They were both so exciting to watch!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.