Black History Month- Past Champs

Dan_Williams

Let’s not forget to point out some quality coaches too.  Sorry some names escape beyond a few names already mentioned earlier in the thread.  But I know there are a few guy who put in a lot a time the Indianapolis area through the ages helping out with the youth.  Much respect for all their time and effort.  

Edited by MattM

7 minutes ago, MattM said:

Let’s not forget to point out some quality coaches too.  Sorry some names escape beyond a few names already mentioned earlier in the thread.  But I know there are a few guy who put in a lot a time the Indianapolis area through the ages helping out with the youth.  Much respect for all their time and effort.  

Tim Wright and Vernon Cannon and now a days Nick Skinner and his boy Mo Swain!

10 hours ago, Dan_Williams said:

Due to this being Black History Month and State Finals week, I think it is only fitting to celebrate both. Please list or talk chat about any past Black state champs or wrestlers from you school or program. Indiana has had numerous dominate Black wrestlers that got their hands raised last at the end of the season. 

Some from my past coaching experience:

-Michael Tiger Johnson-Jones

-Brandon Wright (4 x Finalist, 2 x champ)

-Deondre Wilson (2 x undefeated champ)

-Katrell Moss

-Trent Pruitt (State champ to Jimmy Tonte)

Additionally, we have had two 4 x State Champs of color. 

Best of luck to everyone competing this weekend.

Hard to not mention the Leavell’s

10 hours ago, PhillyFanMD said:

Jason Greer, Kelvin Jackson, Gil Journey, Derrick Robinson, and James Brimm used to use Wildcats as rag dolls!

Facts! I believe it was Schneider who placed in the state but unfortunately ran into Brimm along the way starting in sectionals! I remember Brimm hitting the 360 ankle pick on him!

8 hours ago, MattM said:

Jim Ledbetter was an outstanding mentor to many in both his coaching and officiating. I loved watching the interactions with his guys and with younger referees. Such a father figure type with constant pieces of simple, gentle truth.

From back in the day Hill, Brimm and J. Leavell were all fantastic wrestlers and great opponents. I had plenty of battles with Hill and Brimm at the youth levels and James won his first title the year I took 3rd. If my memory is correct Brimms dad was a great coach he was at every tourney and match with a kind word and big smile for everyone. Was able to run into J. Leavell a couple years ago and we were able to catch up, and still one the best dudes you can meet, always laughing and smiling. 

2 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Was the definition of long and strong! Imagine the room battles with Cannon!

Oh yea it was Cannon that got him not Hill! I remember the clock malfunctioning in their match and Brimm got tossed to his back and had to fight off the pin which seemed like an extra minute. By time he got up he was gassed and Cannon cruised. 

Kelvin Jackson Anderson Highland the 1991 119 Champion and in 

1995 he was the 118 NCAA Champion for Michigan State

Jermaine Brooks the 1991 160 Champion and

James Starks the 1990 171 Champion both from Ft Wayne Northrop 

Marlin Stewart 1992 112 Champion from Brebuef Jesuit

43 minutes ago, Jayruss said:

Oh yea it was Cannon that got him not Hill! I remember the clock malfunctioning in their match and Brimm got tossed to his back and had to fight off the pin which seemed like an extra minute. By time he got up he was gassed and Cannon cruised. 

Oh man...how could I forget Vernon. He was another one that was in our group that battled. It seemed like every Saturday we would all be in or around the same weight class. Good times. 

3 hours ago, Jayruss said:

No will Hill majored Brimm you were right.

3 hours ago, PreparetoWin said:

Oh man...how could I forget Vernon. He was another one that was in our group that battled. It seemed like every Saturday we would all be in or around the same weight class. Good times. 

You ever Wrestle Lee sutton, Pickle or motl? OrJayson madden by chance?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.