Black History Month- Past Champs

Dan_Williams

Due to this being Black History Month and State Finals week, I think it is only fitting to celebrate both. Please list or talk chat about any past Black state champs or wrestlers from you school or program. Indiana has had numerous dominate Black wrestlers that got their hands raised last at the end of the season. 

Some from my past coaching experience:

-Michael Tiger Johnson-Jones

-Brandon Wright (4 x Finalist, 2 x champ)

-Deondre Wilson (2 x undefeated champ)

-Katrell Moss

-Trent Pruitt (State champ to Jimmy Tonte)

Additionally, we have had two 4 x State Champs of color. 

Best of luck to everyone competing this weekend.

Jeremiah Harvey, 2011 heavyweight state champ

- Did not qualify for semi-state as a Junior (pinned Saturday of regional)

- Finished third at sectional his senior year (went on to win regional, sem-istate, state in following weeks)

- At semi-state, avenged an 0-4 (!!) record against one opponent from throughout the season

- Won 3 OT matches (one of which was UTB) on Saturday to win his title

If catching lightning in a bottle is real, then Jeremiah's state title run was certainly an example.

2 hours ago, PhillyFanMD said:

Jason Greer, Kelvin Jackson, Gil Journey, Derrick Robinson, and James Brimm used to use Wildcats as rag dolls!

One my best friends wrestled Brimm in the semis in 96,; and he said it was like a blur.. Never  be been beaten  that badly (7-1 Nathan Pickle was a monster in his own right and never gave up that Many points very often) we actually talked about it few weeks ago.. Said he was so strong, technical and Fast it was unreal.. Jonathan Brownlee was a mini version of Brimm imho..

32 minutes ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

My Old training partner/team mate on Gary Meyers Team Wolf Pack  in our  MMA days, Anthony Lapsley! Great great great dude and friend .. He's beat 2 monsters in route Fred Joseph and  Kevin Carr! 

Kevin Carr also fits the category, winning the title the next year. So does his brother, Jason. 

You then have Tim, John, and James Leavell.  

Some other Snider champs that fit the thread: Elbert Starks, Jason Woodson.

Edited by Silence Dogood

35 minutes ago, Silence Dogood said:

Kevin Carr also fits the category, winning the title the next year. So does his brother, Jason. 

You then have Tim, John, and James Leavell.  

Some other Snider champs that fit the thread: Elbert Starks, Jason Woodson.

Yessir, that is a nasty group of bad bad dudes!

16 minutes ago, GG19 said:

Spence Spencer from Lawrence North comes to mind

His boy Demarcus was a bad boy.. His nephew Deangelo actually moved to NC and never had wrestled.. Came out, made varsity and went like 35-6 before quitting before state tournament if I  remember correctly sheet inning a NCC title 3 months after starting.. Kid was a Enigma that could've really went far head he stuck with it.. He quit right before sectionals iirc... All his losses see to ranked kids too and beat few studs that year... He'd blast DOUBLE you to a half on the way down.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

1 hour ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

His boy Demarcus was a bad boy.. His nephew Deangelo actually moved to NC and never had wrestled.. Came out, made varsity and went like 35-6 before quitting before state tournament if I  remember correctly sheet inning a NCC title 3 months after starting.. Kid was a Enigma that could've really went far head he stuck with it.. He quit right before sectionals iirc... All his losses see to ranked kids too and beat few studs that year... He'd blast DOUBLE you to a half on the way down.

1 hour ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Demarcus was a stud on the mat sucks he never won state(3x qualifier 1x runner up)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.