Annual best to never win a state title thread!

FCFIGHTER170

15 hours ago, Paycheck141 said:

Christian Lentz Mishawaka 2x Runner Up

Junior year lost to Billy Baker(Belmont)

Senior Year lost to Nathan Cleveland(Lowell)

Justin & Josh Keifer

justin never made it under the lights but I believe qualified 4x and placed 7th 4th and 3rd

josh was 2x runner up and had a 4th place as well 

Kiefers and my boy Mullins use to throw down.. Alex Cartron was a returning state placer and had a death draws vs Kieffer about senior season!

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

5 hours ago, Jayruss said:

Tonte makes a good argument, but just the eye test it is always Brandon James and Craig Macke for me! Macke was knocked out twice by arguably the best to do it in Indiana in Angel Escobedo!

4957D6BD-47C9-4B3B-A6FB-AAE4B2750A86.png

Macke was elite with state title talent.. Jaggers faced Angel in the finals in 03' and macke unfortunately to him was on Angel side of the bracket.. That match with Jason level was a banger too! Watched Jaggers blast DOUBLE and pin him after a war at semi state!

5 hours ago, Jayruss said:

Tonte makes a good argument, but just the eye test it is always Brandon James and Craig Macke for me! Macke was knocked out twice by arguably the best to do it in Indiana in Angel Escobedo!

As I recall in 2001 Macke avenged the loss to Clark the following week at Team State.  I was a fan of the teams wrestling mid-week during the individual series.  Now granted that may not have been the best concept for the wrestlers, but as a fan it was a great month!

20 minutes ago, Indysportsfan said:

As I recall in 2001 Macke avenged the loss to Clark the following week at Team State.  I was a fan of the teams wrestling mid-week during the individual series.  Now granted that may not have been the best concept for the wrestlers, but as a fan it was a great month!

The team Dual regionals were badass! Sucked making Weight during week but we always had great duals with pendleton and others.. The last semi state title we captured was in that format vs Yorktown the year we placed "5th".

8 hours ago, blueandgold said:

Some Perry Meridian love here...

Tristen Tonte (Perry Meridian/Warren Central)

• 4× IHSAA State Qualifier (170, 2014; 195, 2015-17)
  • 3× IHSAA State Runner-Up (195, 2015-17)
  • 2× IHSAA Semi-State Champion (195, 2016-17)
  • 2× NHSCA High School All-American

Sammy Fair (Perry Meridian)

• 3× IHSAA State Qualifier (106, 2016; 120, 2018; 152, 2019)
  • IHSAA State Runner-Up (120, 2018)
  • IHSAA Semi-State Champion (120, 2018)

Brandon James (Perry Meridian)

• 4× IHSAA State Qualifier (113, 2012; 126, 2013; 132, 2014; 138, 2015)
  • 4× IHSAA All-State (3rd, 2012; 5th, 2013; 2nd, 2014; 3rd, 2015)
  • 2014 IHSAA State Runner-Up at 132
  • 2× IHSAA Semi-State Champion (113, 2012; 138, 2015)
  • 2014 FloNationals All-American (3rd, 120; defeated Chad Red Jr. in 3rd Place Match, only Indiana wrestler to defeat Red in high school)
  • 2015 NHSCA Senior Nationals All-American (5th, 138)

Kirk Johnson

• 3× IHSAA State Qualifier (152, 2010-11; 160, 2012)
  • 3× IHSAA All-State (4th, 2010-11; 3rd, 2012)
  • 2012 USAW Junior Greco-Roman All-American (7th, 160; defeated 3× California State Champion and eventual 2× NCAA Division I National Champion Isaiah Martinez in 7th Place Match by technical fall)

Cornelious Elliott II

• 2× IHSAA State Qualifier (113, 2014; 120, 2015)
  • 2× IHSAA All-State (3rd, 113; 6th, 120)
  • 2014 IHSAA Semi-State Champion at 113
  • 2014 FloNationals All-American (8th, 113)

Another Perry Meridian great Gill Journey c/o 93 he was a 3 time placer (3rd at 152, 2nd at 160, 2nd at 171)

I would say Tristen Tonte, but Cosaro and Brandon James have great arguments.  

Tristen Tonte

State
2017 195 State 2nd
2016 195 State 2nd
2015 195 State 2nd
2014 170 State Qualifier

National
2015 195 NHSCA Sophomore Nationals 6th

State Championship Results

Loss vs. Jacob Stevenson( Franklin Community) Fall 2:45 
Win vs. Matt Hedrick( Portage) SV-1 3-1 
Win vs. Myron Howard-Anderson( Yorktown) Dec 1-0 
Win vs. Sam Hipple( Carmel) Dec 5-3 
Loss vs. Blake Rypel( Indianapolis Cathedral) Fall 3:13 
Win vs. Derrick Craig( New Albany) Fall 2:13 
Win vs. Evan Larsen( Hanover Central) Dec 5-3 
Win vs. Luke Elliott( Eastbrook) Fall 2:14 
Loss vs. Jake Kleimola( Lake Central) Dec 9-5 
Win vs. Bradley Philpot( Floyd Central) Dec 3-0 
Win vs. Draven Rasler( West Noble) Fall 0:44 
Win vs. Kyle Shaffer( South Putnam) Fall 3:20 
Loss vs. Andrew Davison( Chesterton) Fall 5:59 

Seeing the names of some of these great wrestlers that never were able to add 'State Champ' to their list of accomplishments is part of what makes the Indiana Individual State Wrestling Tournament so great.

Becoming a State Champ in Indiana is no easy feat.

This is why I took such exception to the thread that got deleted yesterday that was originally titled "Worst State Champ Ever".

Edited by SIACfan

Jeff Pease

Jeff Pease

Muncie Southside | Class of 1991

State
1990 Hwt State 3rd
1988 Hwt State Qualifier

National
1989 275 Junior Freestyle Nationals 1st
1989 275 Junior Greco Nationals 1st
1988 242 Cadet Freestyle Nationals 1st
1988 242 Cadet Greco Nationals 1st
1987 242 Cadet Freestyle Nationals 5th
1987 242 Cadet Greco Nationals 1st

College
1996 275 NCAA DII 7th for Central Oklahoma
1995 275 NCAA DII 2nd for Central Oklahoma

18 hours ago, Jayruss said:

Based on who he had to go through, this is my vote for best to never win. Had Angel x2, which needs no explanation, but also had Aaron Clark his sophomore year. Guys not around Indiana wrestling 20 years ago do not know what a beast Clark was. Legit contender at 112 the year before (beat state champ Nathan Peterson at least once that season, maybe multiple times?), then drops to 103. He was nationally ranked and I believe teched or pinned everyone that year not named Craig Macke. The matches got closer every time, going from either a tech or major the first time they met and culminating with Macke's massive upset of him at team state.

On 2/17/2021 at 6:21 AM, GG19 said:

Another Perry Meridian great Gill Journey c/o 93 he was a 3 time placer (3rd at 152, 2nd at 160, 2nd at 171)

Came to post this! Lost to the Savage Robert Miller and Blanton! Beat the legendary Dan Pleak as well! 

On 2/17/2021 at 8:44 AM, SIACfan said:

Seeing the names of some of these great wrestlers that never were able to add 'State Champ' to their list of accomplishments is part of what makes the Indiana Individual State Wrestling Tournament so great.

Becoming a State Champ in Indiana is no easy feat.

This is why I took such exception to the thread that got deleted yesterday that was originally titled "Worst State Champ Ever".

There's no such thing as "worse" anything when it comes to our state finals let alone A state Champ! I'd like to know who that feller is that made that thread, not to bash him or nothing, just because his insight is unorthodox.. I know he drizzles some truth Even in his trolling posts so he obviously been around the sport and probably lurked the board sure years.. His profile school says Blue River and he said he won 4 sectionals but never made state

( my good friend Josh pope is the only ever SQ from Blood river and he went twice so I know it's not him on that alone and he's very quiet so it's not him, I can't think of any other 4x sectional title holder and can only think of 2 guys that has over 100 wins at BRV and it can't be Keaton Miller or Pope , so I really am stumped lol

I have my name on my profile, because I would never say anything Behind a SN that I wouldn't say I'm person and try to respect everybody and their school/academy.. All I care about is the Kids and if I make friends/enemies along the way then it's a gift/curse I'll accept whatever comes my way... I have silly banter with ppl out of joking around but the main reason I'm on here is to lift up my guys up and everybody else's that I have the privilege of watchingk or interacting with and trying get my ppl looked at for the next phase in their education.. And lastly ,I have to feed my 🧠 the History, wisdom and Culture that INDIANA MAT  has built n other words like  Johnny 5 NEED MORE INPUT.. In between the goofy stuff that goes on around here, there is Def a great community MADE up from the entire Wrestling family across the state and beyond that possess an endless wealth of knowledge that is generational! Appreciate your feedback on here at well and the knowledge you drop on us when you post..

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.