Best to never make it to state

Some guys from the Fort Wayne area

Zack Zink Woodlan

Cody Conrad Heritage

Christian Summersett South Adams 

Bobby Humphrey Snider 

Matt Frane Dekalb

Josh Beeks Southern Wells

All were either ranked highly or lost in the ticket round multiple times. 

Justice Cash Bloomington North last year

I'd concur with Thor, Justice Cash has to be up there after drawing some very talented wrestlers in all 4 of his ticker round matches and ending up 0-4.  Anyone with that many many close shots against quality competition has to be on the list.

I know there have been multiple guys who were peaked for a big state run by their senior year, but had to go out due to injury.  For example going into his Senior year in the early 90's Jamie Wingler from Seymour was already 3 time semi-state qualifier (under the old system with only 2 from sectional and 3 from regional), two time-sectional champ, junior year regional champ, and had had wins over several state places from his senior year when he was a junior or during the off season.  Rumor was he beat that years state champ at some point prior too, but I don't have a record to back up that one.  Unfortunately, he tore his ACL in football that fall and never got a senior wrestling season to see how far he could have gone.  I'm sure some other schools have similar stories of what could have been.

Edited by MattM

Jeivan Ross of Warren Central

• 4× Sectional Champion

• 4× Semi-State Qualifier (4× Quarterfinalist)

Jade McCammon of Sullivan

• 4× Semi-State Qualifier (4× Quarterfinalist)

• USAW Cadet and Junior Freestyle and Greco-Roman All-American

• Cadet Silver World Medalist

Here is my top 4, not in any order (Please excuse my nepotism):

Chris Gonzales (Muncie Southside) - 4X Semi-State Ticket Rounder

Curtis Smith (Jeffersonvile) - 4X Regional Champ, 3X ticket Rounder

Justin Eshelman (Pendleton Heights) - Always in Regional with 2 multiple time State Champs

Jade McCammon (Sullivan) - 4X Semi-State Qualifier (4X ticket rounder, I believe)

Edited by NavyGonzo

What about Carson Willis from castle? 4x ticket rounder,

2018- Loses to Mills from Brownsburg 5-1 

2017- loses to Graham rooks from Columbus east 9-1 

2016- loses to Hudkins from Danville 21-8

2015- loses to Skaggs from Avon 13-1

thats a pretty hard draw 4 years in a row

16 minutes ago, bbulldog152 said:

Adam Thompson from franklin county always catches my attention.  4× sectional champion 3× regional champion undefeated going into the ticket round twice. Also lost to the same guy junior and senior year.

He was a monster and we had some good matches but he always got me.. he lost to Steven James of pike in ticket round..I beat James in Freestyle the summer before and was  very familiar with James because of Wrestling him and my team mate beating him in the SS semis the year before... Thompson was a fire plug that was a ball of muscle! I lost to Barnhizer in regional Semis 6-4 and Thompson beat him in the finals... He was def one of the better dudes I seen not make it..I lost in the ticket round 2x myself (Jerry Gordon and then Unbeaten Cramsey) and it still eats me alive.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Zach Adams - Madison - 4x ticket rounder, headlocked a Welch through the floor in the ticket round his jr year. He beat the SS champ his sophomore year at Regionals. Had wins over runner up and third place his senior year. Beat multiple state placers over his 4 years. 

Ticket round losses to Rueger, Milton, Welch and VanHorn

For a 1 year run - 1997 Jeremy Johnson from Madison was undefeated and ranked top 5 in state. Stuck the #2 ranked kid  at Team Semi-State, beat the eventual 7th place finisher about 8 times that year and majored the 3rd place finisher in a dual before losing to him 3-1 in the ticket round. 

Joe Pinnick of Jeffersonville was a hammer right along w Hunter Hughes. Jeff had a murders row w Doherty, Rosbottom, Pinnick, Hughes, Koch, Stith, Bowman and Ware. That Jeff team was 🔥🔥🔥

Edited by TripleB

9 hours ago, Indiana_Wrestling said:

As a wrestler who posted pretty good stats back in the day.... 4 time sectional champion I was never able to punch the ticket, just a little curious what other scrappers out there felt short of being able to cash their tickets out at the bank. 

What school did you do to and what year you graduate?

6 minutes ago, Southern Side said:

This topic should be the best to never win a state title

Randy baker, Conner Mullins, Brenden Campbell, Matt Jaggers,Mac Taylor, Logan Boe,Ray Rioux, Drake Campbell, Willy Campbell, Eric Motl(beat Kerkhoff badly every time they Tangled) , Terrell Coatie (beat 2x champ and runner up same year) Nathan Walton,Zack Fattore, Andy Bertsch, Brandon Gonzalez,Vinnie cassaro...I got plenty more lol

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

8 minutes ago, Southern Side said:

This topic should be the best to never win a state title

Aaron Sessa, Keith Garrard (one the best 1x placer imho went in to be all all American at wabash) Chris Barnhizer, Charlie Pingleton might be the best considering he got runner up twice and ended up being a national champ in college.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.