State finals

Tparker

1 hour ago, Tigers99 said:

Side topic but, what the heck. For all of those in favor of a single class system, what's your take on fresh-soph state? I mean, they are in HS so why separate the underclassman from the upperclassmen? Isn't it essentially the same argument in favor of class systems?

I see what you are getting at but worth noting that this event is ran through the ISWCA as a post season event, not affiliated with the the IHSAA. So it’s more akin to an optional off season USA Wrestling age group event than a high school sponsored one.  

Which on a side note is kind of annoying being that in a normal year the ISWA would be hosting folkstyle state a few weeks after, which almost repeats the exact same type of age group based event again.

Edited by MattM

Hey, I'm not as smart as most of you in the subject. I never even Qualified for state.

I love the one class system. Nowadays there a plenty of wrestlers that are considered good for the school they came from (size), To me I would have liked to compete against the best. No matter size of my school. (just my opinion, I went to a big school FYI, Sorry)

20 minutes ago, MattM said:

I see what you are getting at but worth noting that this event is ran through the ISWCA as a post season event, not affiliated with the the IHSAA. So it’s more akin to an optional off season USA Wrestling age group event than a high school sponsored one.  

Which on a side note is kind of annoying being that in a normal year the ISWA would be hosting folkstyle state a few weeks after, which almost repeats the exact same type of age group based event again.

I get it but the argument of "it waters down the competition" isn't really an argument when the top 5 HS wrestling states have class wrestling. It sure didn't water them down. Some of them even have ISWA type events for Junior Varsity wrestlers only. When my kid was younger his coach always said that more mat time is never a bad thing. Most small schools like ours need kids to play more than one sport. If they didn't, we wouldn't have enough kids to fill a roster on most sports. Bigger schools in our area have enough kids that there are very few multi-sport athletes because, if they want to make varsity, they have to devote all their time to that one sport. It gives bigger schools a definite edge when they have 50 kids to fill 14 spots where other schools only have 5. That's a big deal when you are in a wrestling room with few viable options for partners. 

We just watched 3 schools have their first state Champs ever and a 4th with its first ever finalist. I would argue the single class system pushes the kids at small schools that want to succeed, to get there. Now if we could convince the IHSAA to bring back the duals championship in a 4 class format, you got my vote there.

1 hour ago, Cmoney125 said:

We just watched 3 schools have their first state Champs ever and a 4th with its first ever finalist. I would argue the single class system pushes the kids at small schools that want to succeed, to get there. Now if we could convince the IHSAA to bring back the duals championship in a 4 class format, you got my vote there.

So the others that don't have champ don't want to succeed? OUCH!

3 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

So the others that don't have champ don't want to succeed? OUCH!

Now you know that wasn't the intention of the post. I'm saying I just came from a 4 class state and it's very very rare there for small schools to put top notch kids out there because they don't have to to have their kids win state titles. So they only coach them to beat their level of competition.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.