Really Good Wrestlers from Smaller Schools

Wadewilson

14 hours ago, Ahawkeye said:

Ahhhh yes, but they never count MD because we "recruit". And we're not a real small school because All of the kids that go there are from rich families that decided to go to MD and play sports.

I’ve never liked that narrative.  Growing up Catholic i can testify to the fact that most aren’t rich.  It’s the culture and tradition you have.   Good luck this weekend.

3 hours ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

I’ve never liked that narrative.  Growing up Catholic i can testify to the fact that most aren’t rich.  It’s the culture and tradition you have.   Good luck this weekend.

Good luck to everyone!

On 2/16/2021 at 6:23 PM, Ahawkeye said:

Ahhhh yes, but they never count MD because we "recruit". And we're not a real small school because All of the kids that go there are from rich families that decided to go to MD and play sports.

I have to say I root against MD like I rooted against Joe Montana in the 80's .🤪

22 hours ago, maddog195 said:

I’m gonna throw out Jed perry and will fiechter from southern wells ( Poneto, IN)  now that’s one small town with 2-3 stop signs 

Got to add Seth Biberstine from Southern Wells. The one and only Semi-State champ from SW was a freak athlete at 220lbs back in 2012.

On 2/17/2021 at 10:12 AM, GenHeavyHandz said:

I went to EMD and both my parents made a combined $27,000.  85% of the kids there were just good ole west side, St Phillip's, and St Wendell middle class people.

Maybe 5% of the kid there were filthy rich

2 hours ago, PhillyFanMD said:

I went to EMD and both my parents made a combined $27,000.  85% of the kids there were just good ole west side, St Phillip's, and St Wendell middle class people.

Maybe 5% of the kid there were filthy rich

A logical person would know that wrestling is just not a rich persons sport.  You have to be pretty tough to excel at it.  I grew up around rich kids.  They didn’t wrestle and the ones that did weren’t that good.  Now there are exceptions to every rule.  But adversity usually forges a good wrestler from my experience.  Even my area people always say the Snider or Homestead or Carroll kids are rich. People obviously don’t know what rich is.

4 minutes ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

A logical person would know that wrestling is just not a rich persons sport.  You have to be pretty tough to excel at it.  I grew up around rich kids.  They didn’t wrestle and the ones that did weren’t that good.  Now there are exceptions to every rule.  But adversity usually forges a good wrestler from my experience.  Even my area people always say the Snider or Homestead or Carroll kids are rich. People obviously don’t know what rich is.

You have have seen students driving BMW and Mercedes at your school but never such a thing Mater Dei

1 hour ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

A logical person would know that wrestling is just not a rich persons sport. 

But you have to admit that,  just like most sports these days, with the evolution of academies, clinics, camps, year round events, etc, giving some athletes a more quality experiences and mat time our sport hasn’t exactly been catering to those who aren’t at solidly footed in the middle class or higher. 

Edited by MattM

11 minutes ago, MattM said:

But you have to admit that,  just like most sports these days, with the evolution of academies, clinics, camps, year round events, etc, giving some athletes a more quality experiences and mat time our sport hasn’t exactly been catering to those who aren’t at solidly footed in the middle class or higher. 

I don’t know. My best friend was a state champ.  Poor.  My cousin was a state champ. Poor.  My uncles multiple placings. Poor.  My son’s have won National titles and state titles currently in youth wrestling.  I ain’t rich. I think the money does give some an advantage in the beginning.  But in the end the individual decides if they want to be a champion.   The work makes you a champion: not some academy.  Just my opinion.

23 minutes ago, MattM said:

True but EMD kids are BLESSED with a plethora of great coaching. If they can't hack paying for a wrestling academy they have a bunch of coaches at school and teammates that wrestle with MCWC. Not to mention family members at home or uncles who will drop everything for a wrestling match or question or "hey let's try this". When you see the same names year after year or can tie these kids to those names it is apparent that you don't need a ton of money to to find a good coach or wrestling partner on the Westside of Evansville.

Edited by Ahawkeye

1 hour ago, MattM said:

Doesn't that pretty much apply to most if not all sports now?  With more kids specializing in just one sport, I think that's become the norm.  AAU in basketball, travel baseball and soccer, etc.  

58 minutes ago, Ahawkeye said:

True but EMD kids are BLESSED with a plethora of great coaching. If they can't hack paying for a wrestling academy they have a bunch of coaches at school and teammates that wrestle with MCWC. Not to mention family members at home or uncles who will drop everything for a wrestling match or question or "hey let's try this". When you see the same names year after year or can tie these kids to those names it is apparent that you don't need a ton of money to to find a good coach or wrestling partner on the Westside of Evansville.

All of that is true and part of what makes up their tradition.  But Mater Dei is special and has built a tradition like no other program.  That tradition, local backing, passion, along with many of the great wrestlers from the past sticking around makes it unique for the size of the school.   

Is there another small school program in the state in any sport that has excelled similar to Mater Dei?  Google lists MD's total enrollment at 498.  Many of the bigger schools have more boys than that in a single grade.   The only one I can think of that might compare is Evansville Memorial and Soccer.  But even that, it's not the same.  There may be others I don't know about, but if so, those would be special situations as well.  

3 hours ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

I don’t know. My best friend was a state champ.  Poor.  My cousin was a state champ. Poor.  My uncles multiple placings. Poor.  My son’s have won National titles and state titles currently in youth wrestling.  I ain’t rich. I think the money does give some an advantage in the beginning.  But in the end the individual decides if they want to be a champion.   The work makes you a champion: not some academy.  Just my opinion.

I agree with you that work is necessary, but it insufficient when your opponent is also working. And really, how many of the kids this weekend aren't putting in the work? Academies, great programs, coaches & drill partners, travel experience, private lessons are a significant edge. Can a hard working kid find those (or vice-versa), maybe but it is a hurdle.

It would be interesting to know how many academy kids are competing this weekend. I think it would be a relatively large percentage.

Edited by gsmith58

On 2/17/2021 at 1:31 AM, formercollegekid said:

According to the website I found they are at 225. . . Thats pretty small.

Oak Hill  is at 552

Crawford County is at 450

Cowan is at 370ish

I love that INDIANAMAT has the population of each teams Town in their bio!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.