SEMI-STATE: Upsets, Key Matches, Etc.

navy80

8 minutes ago, Indianawrestler145 said:

I think what makes me angry about this match is watch the punk from Anderson’s demeanor after he slams Alex. Walks off with a smirk and can be seen smiling and shrugging while Alex is laying on the mat. News flash slamming a kid in his head because your losing 10-3 isn’t cool. Rant over.

I was working the table during this match. I did not see the Anderson kid doing this, but admittedly my focus was on Cottey and if he was ok. If that is the case, I will see the Anderson coach, and talk to him about this behavior. 

3 minutes ago, Southern Side said:

Let’s hope not.  That would be two years in a row at 113 that Evansville #1 against New  Castle #4.

well, I would assume that is not the second year that they drew into a returning state champ.

Just now, Trinedad said:

I was working the table during this match. I did not see the Anderson kid doing this, but admittedly my focus was on Cottey and if he was ok. If that is the case, I will see the Anderson coach, and talk to him about this behavior. 

Watch the video. You can see the Anderson coach pop a smile make a comment and give a little chuckle as well. 

1 minute ago, Indianawrestler145 said:

Watch the video. You can see the Anderson coach pop a smile make a comment and give a little chuckle as well. 

Well, I will for sure discuss this with him, We usually have very good discussions concerning wrestling. 

1 hour ago, Trinedad said:

well, I would assume that is not the second year that they drew into a returning state champ.

Not at 113 and not a returning state champ.  But Macartney Parkinson drawing into Joseph Walker last year after Walker ID'd to 4th at SS would be nearly the same.

Anyone who has lived the experience of wrestling on Saturday or under the lights , has to feel bad for these kids who will be there next week.  The best part of the experience is all the fans. Whether they are for or against you , it doesn’t matter. It’s the atmosphere.   From thousands of people there for the walk of Champions, to the lights going off and the crowd going crazy for the finals.   It’s sad that part will be missing Saturday night.  Sure hope it goes back to normal next year,  best time of year is taking the kids to watch the finals !

1 hour ago, Coach Peck said:

A slam is a judgement call.,  The big part of what the rule states is that when someone picks the other person up they are responsible for their safe return to the mat.  The safe return is purely the responsibility of the offensive wrestler, and there is no requirement for the defender to protect himself.  Years ago there was the criteria that the offensive wrestler had to hit a knee first, but that was discarded a long time ago.  The slam is a needed call in wrestling because it keeps someone from intentionally drilling someone to win a match, or to make it harder for the opponent to compete.  The thing that makes it bad is that whether a kid can continue competing, or not, is dependent on a decision that has to be made in 2:00 minutes of "recovery time".  The only person the coach is responsible to is his wrestler.  If he thinks that the slam has impaired his wrestlers ability to possibly win the match then his best decision is to not continue.  The ability to continue, or not, only has to do with what is going on in that match and has nothing to do with the rest of the tournament.  Postulating if the wrestler may be able to compete later, or not, has no (and should not have any) bearing on the decision at that moment.  The wrestlers ability to wrestle in matches later in a tournament only indicates that he was able to continue with more recovery time, but proves nothing as to the severity (or lack of severity) at the time the match was ended due to disqualification.  I would also add that I have almost never seen a match where to person is DQed for a slam and his coaches, fans, and family were happy.

Well said and this is what I was implying in my earlier comments. While it may look bad in the coach to some, he has the responsibility to ensure his young man/woman is examined and ensured by medical staff mat side that he is indeed 100% a full go. 

Drake Buchanan is a handful.  I have watched Sollars a lot this year.  There is no doubt that Buchanan pushed Sollars, however, do you think if the two wrestled 10 more times, there would be a different outcome?

I see that Buchanan pinned Warren.  I would like to understand how that match went down.

1 hour ago, Indianawrestler145 said:

I think what makes me angry about this match is watch the punk from Anderson’s demeanor after he slams Alex. Walks off with a smirk and can be seen smiling and shrugging while Alex is laying on the mat. News flash slamming a kid in his head because your losing 10-3 isn’t cool. Rant over.

Exactly how I feel about this, 

9 minutes ago, hook and half said:

Drake Buchanan is a handful.  I have watched Sollars a lot this year.  There is no doubt that Buchanan pushed Sollars, however, do you think if the two wrestled 10 more times, there would be a different outcome?

I see that Buchanan pinned Warren.  I would like to understand how that match went down.

You might want to peruse December 23rd on the IndianaMat Facebook page.

7 hours ago, JMAN said:

Just left Semi-State East Chicago and I have to say the way Indiana does it’s state is a embarrassment considering how good Indiana wrestling is overall. I moved here from out of state and this is the absolute WORST way to determine who goes to state.

You have high level wrestlers going hone while below average kids go to state.  Is that what you want?  A watered down state tournament lacking quality?  Without seeding and a more importantly wrestle backs Indiana State is hollow!

I watched kids crying after close loses. NO KIDS should be crying off losing one match before state or at it for that matter.  It’s is an ABSOLUTE JOKE OF A SYSTEM!

Yes, my kid lost in a match that never should have happened putting the 5th ranked kid in the state with the 2nd ranked kid in the state in a death match with no wrestle back.  He lost a close match and that pisses me off.  He is a better wrestler than most kids actually going to state!

Howevee, even if he had won it would still be upsetting because a high quality kid goes homes while other kids move on that wouldn’t last 1 minute with either kid!

it is a disgrace!

If you don't like how Indiana runs the tournament series, then move back to your former state. Everyone agrees we need wrestlebacks, but to call "some" state qualifiers below average is not right. They earned their trip to state and I don't think any of the 224 competing next week are less than average. 

Kyler Kearby

Tippecanoe Valley

Coach to one of those "below average" wrestlers I am sure you are referring to.

55 minutes ago, hook and half said:

If my memory serves me correctly, Warren was down a couple and tried a throw and got caught on his back.  I think Warren was in it the whole way and it was a split second thing that happened.  He definitely was not getting dominated in the match. 

3 minutes ago, Coach Kearby II said:

If you don't like how Indiana runs the tournament series, then move back to your former state. Everyone agrees we need wrestlebacks, but to call "some" state qualifiers below average is not right. They earned their trip to state and I don't think any of the 224 competing next week are less than average. 

Kyler Kearby

Tippecanoe Valley

Coach to one of those "below average" wrestlers I am sure you are referring to.

😱, did a ( coach) really just take offense to a dad making a post on the website. That’s pretty funny.   You may end up regretting that decision.  Specially when the dad never attacked you or or any wrestlers directly. It’s a fact that with the way our system is , the best 16 wrestlers don’t make it to the state tournament. But I love the way Indiana does their tournament.  No classes, no wrestle backs, mistakes are costly.  There is no perfect way to run to tournament series. Someone will always complain.  In my view though, every year , for the most part. The final 4 in the weight class are truly the best 4 kids in each weight class in our state.   Sure, some regionals are much tougher than others, and one semi state ends up dominating at state. But no process is perfect. All the kids can do is put themselves in the best position to move on and win.   I don’t know the guy who first complained but I’m sure  he was just in his feelings and said stuff he didn’t really mean.  Bottom line is , don’t choke at regionals , and win your ticket round match.  What else is there to say. It’s wrestling, they can’t hand out participation medals to everyone involved 

I’ve personally experienced both sides of the argument. I’ve been in The most difficult semi state and drew into the eventual state champ. And I’ve been the winner of the best semi state and had two easy matches to start the state tournament. . Soo I just think it is what it is. Those kids who step up and wrestle well when they have too, will reap the rewards.   I don’t understand the argument to have classes. Every weight class should have a champion,  not several.  I think the goal in wresting Is to figure out who the best kids are at each weight. Our system does that

16 hours ago, Cooper160 said:

Edgewood’s deckard had two against Dalton in the round to go for the win. I’m my opinion the ref made a bad no call.

It was a really BAD no call. Two feet, one hand on the mat for like two full seconds. I hate that for Deckard. He’s an amazing kid! Just a really terrible, terrible no call.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.